Was asked TWICE yesterday if my 920 was the new iPhone..

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I had a couple amusing experiences yesterday which is odd since I haven't had a single person comment on my 920 since I bought it.. Then to have two people literally within 5 minutes think it was an iPhone haha..

First person asks (older man):

"Whoa, is that the new one?"

"Yep, it just came out"

"My son just gave me his old one, because he was buying the new one"

"Oh really? Which one did he have?:

"The iPhone 4"

Facepalm...

Then not 5 minutes later I have a woman ask me:

"Hey, the new one is quite big eh?"

"This isn't an iPhone"

"Oh really? I thought it was that screen looks so big and nice"

Facepalm...

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just explain that the screen is better with better pixel density, has a better battery, bettery camera and isn't the boring old iOS that's been exactly the same for 5 years.

I had the 3GS and 4 but after that it just got silly, had to get something else but not Android.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
As a programmer, I'm pretty savvy when it comes to technology, but I never call someone who isn't as good as me with technology an idiot, because that person is almost definitely better than me at something else, at which point I would look like the idiot.

The thing I take away from this is that the general public sees a phone that looks cool and automatically assumes it's an iPhone, which is great for Apple, but also an opportunity for us to show other non-technophiles that there are alternatives to iPhone.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
As a programmer, I'm pretty savvy when it comes to technology, but I never call someone who isn't as good as me with technology an idiot, because that person is almost definitely better than me at something else, at which point I would look like the idiot.

The thing I take away from this is that the general public sees a phone that looks cool and automatically assumes it's an iPhone, which is great for Apple, but also an opportunity for us to show other non-technophiles that there are alternatives to iPhone.

I agree! Apple must love that they have that much mindshare ...

I did spend some time with one of them on what I really liked about it vs the iPhone.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Before the iPhone, it was that way with Blackberry...every candybar phone with keyboard was a BB to the average Joe. Look where they are now ;)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think that its safe to say that the iPhone has become the symbol of all touch screen phones.. its pretty much everywhere, even in ads that have nothing to do with mobile devices...

Before the iPhone, it was that way with Blackberry...every candybar phone with keyboard was a BB to the average Joe. Look where they are now ;)
Right on.. and I was silly enough to carry around a Nokia E71 at the time... it was crazy how many people thought it was the coolest BB they have ever seen :)

stonedauwg

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I too have had this experience lately. Out at public parks and peeps asking about my 920. Nokia has a winner on their hands if it's generating this much free publicity/buzz!

Archhaddock

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You know guys I don’t think it is only Nokia but a mixture of WP8 and Nokia’s hardware that is generates the attention.
I used a Samsung Omnia 7 for almost two years before one of my damn students hit the phone out of my hand (unintentionally) about a month ago. The phone fell down 5 floors and broke to 1000 pieces. I changed to a Lumia 800, the only replacement wp phone I could get from my carrier, and have been using that since then. Couple of week ago a friend of mine saw the phone when I put it on the table and asked me “oh you got a windows phone 8?” I was very surprised and asked her “what do you mean I have been using WP7 during the past two years and you just noticed it?” she said “what? WP7? Has there been such a thing?”
So for the past two years she just had assumed that I am using an android phone without even knowing that WP7 existed.
This shows that even MS is doing a better job this time. And neither MS nor NOKIA/HTC have even started to do any real advertisement in Sweden yet

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I got asked that the other day and I have a RED 920!

Haha. I got asked the other day and I have a yellow 920.

Went like this:

Coworker: "Where did you get that case?"

Me: "It's not a case. It's my phone."

Coworker: "Wow. That looks cool. Is it the new iPhone?"

lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb