Trickle Charging on L920

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For iPhones it is mentioned that during charging, once the 100% level is reached, the charging "stops" or goes to a "trickle charge" mode.
The manual/information sheet that came with the Lumia suggests not leaving the phone charging after it reaches 100%.

"Do not leave a fully charged battery connected to a charger, as overcharging may shorten the battery's lifetime." Pg 15 on Product & Safety Information.

Does this mean we can't leave the phone charging overnight (assuming it reaches 100% at sometime during the night? Just asking if anybody has an opinion on this.

I know, I did read the information booklet, who does that nowadays!

TNL Nick

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Why is it so difficult to get a definitive answer on this? There are conflicting opinions everywhere about whether it is all right to leave a battery like the one in the 920 on the charger at 100% on a regular basis. I suppose that may be due to different phones handling the charger cut-off in different ways, but there is no real consensus on whether draining and then fully charging the battery every once in a while is helpful either. We're dealing with science here, not politics or religion, so why are authoritative answers so scarce?

What I would really like to know is if it is all right (read: does no damage, does not shorten battery life) to leave the 920 on the wireless charging plate at 100% charge while I am at work as opposed to removing it from the juice as soon as it is full. I read the same thing in the owner's manual, but there are a lot of warnings in owner's manuals that are just misleading to discourage some unlikely extreme - e.g., some guy decides to leave the phone on the charger for a whole week while he's on vacation.

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From what I read, there's a review of the wireless charging on WPCentral itself that says wireless charging uses/employs trickle charging. I am more interested/worried about the USB or regular electrical charging with the included charger.

TNL Nick

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Does that mean that leaving the phone on the charging plate overnight will damage the battery?

I notice that the charging with the wireless charging plate really heats up the phone until it gets to 100% charge, while the USB charger doesn't have that effect. Because heat isn't good for your battery, my guess is that you should probably use the USB charger if your battery is down under maybe 60% or so. Of course, the answer to the original question, about trickle charging through USB, might show that overnight charging is a bad idea, period - unless you sleep two hours a night.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05