920 and ArmorSuit

ishredthecello

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So I bought the AromorSuit, finally got it three days ago after ordering right after getting my phone. I ordered the full body protection.

Hated it. White 920 is back to being naked.

The screen protector is a great idea, but its horrible to attract any kind of smudges and fingerprints. Also from installing I somehow got marks in the film that was annoying.

The back got black fuzz all over it from the microfiber cloth provided, and looked horrible. Also at every edge of the film it collected every little bit of dust, lint, etc.

Also the film, while the orange peel is much much less than the Zaggs, it seemed to filter out the pure white that the phone is.

Disappointed a bit since I waited three weeks for it, but I think naked is the way to go. Might pick up a durable case for anything that I'm doing that might damage it (paintballing, skiing, etc).

Just my thoughts, anyone else using the ArmorSuit on theirs?

Last edited:

Biergarden

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Good post. I'm glad you took a few mintes to talk about your problem. I'm up in the air about it, but one thing I'm wondering from you, is how does it skin protect the camera lens? I'm certain the plastic lens cap on the back of the phone will scratch without some kind of protection. Any thoughts on that?
A

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the same experience with Zagg. I couldn't stand it. On top of that, it made using the screen with gloves on impossible. My phone is now naked too.

JGtz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought the ArmorSuit Screen protector only. It was easy to apply and after 10 hrs of drying, all the bubbles are gone and I can barely notice the rubbery plastic covering my screen. It does attract figerprints a bit more than the oleophobic cover above the gorilla glass, but after discovering a tiny scratch on the screen I decided to buy the screen protector.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I had Ghost Armor put on mine, front and back. It's crystal clear and doesn't feel rubbery but it does feel a bit grippy. I've used Zagg for years and put them on myself but this time I had them do it. I'm impressed that it doesn't show fingerprints, especially on the back. Plus it seems to make it a bit less slippery. Not much but just enough to make me feel like I'm not going to drop it.

I think the difference if the drying they do after the install. It seems to shrink the skin so it's a bit tighter. I dislike cases but want to be able to throw my phone on my purse or pocket without worrying about keys, coins, etc. So for me a skin is perfect.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Good post. I'm glad you took a few mintes to talk about your problem. I'm up in the air about it, but one thing I'm wondering from you, is how does it skin protect the camera lens? I'm certain the plastic lens cap on the back of the phone will scratch without some kind of protection. Any thoughts on that?
A

No, not anymore.

It's new ceramic material they use on the camera strip and on the buttons compared to Nokia's other poly unibody phones. It used to be this silver stuff on my Lumia 800 and N9 (and Lumia 900) that got scratched by you just touching it. Never used any protection on my phones and so far no marks anywhere on my 2 week old Lumia 920.

gurnishan

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
can someone please post pictures with these skins on, im considering a matte finished clear screen on my phone as i am not a fond of the glossy finish on the 920.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
can someone please post pictures with these skins on, im considering a matte finished clear screen on my phone as i am not a fond of the glossy finish on the 920.

I have a clear glossy Ghost Armor so pics won't help you. But GA has the same in carbon fiber colors. I seriously considered a black or grey on mine because it would leave just a tiny bit of red around the edges rather like pinstripes and then leaving the end pieces off (hence showing the red). Would look stunning in my opinion. But in the end I love my red so I went with clear. You might check around you for stores or kiosks so you can go look and feel for yourself.

Tetegra

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have the armorsuit screen protector on my L920 for a week. Pretty satisfied with the purchase. The film does attract some fingerprints. The installation process is pretty easy and after one day or two, all the minor defects are gone. Haven't tried to touch the screen with gloves on, but I'm not having any trouble with the screen sensitivity.

boatsnbeaches

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The only screen protectors I've been happy with are the Zagg DRY (they are different than the wet ones) since they don't add the tackiness to the screen. Very slick and shiny like the glass itself.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
We got a Clear Protector kit (same company as Zagg, ArmorSuit, TechArmor btw, look it up) The top piece of the kit covers up the noise canceling mic, ruining call quality. The back had a lot of bubbles. The piece around the SIM tray comes off, I just trimmed that, then removed it altogether later.

It seems these companies didn't have real working devices to work with, maybe prototypes or just specs. We replaced the screen protector with a hard PET one, but the problem with PET plastics is that they won't wrap the curvature of the display like the milspec stuff Zagg et al uses, so the makers of the PET protectors are trimming the coverage to within the borders of the screen so the PET plastic won't peel up. But I hate hate HATE the orange peel that the thick milspec stuff has.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I love my 920 but I am afraid of getting the screen scratched. I bought a cheap case from Amazon, but it had it's faults, and I would rather not have a case. I decided to give Ghost Armor a try yesterday. It looks good, feels fine, and the only orange peel I can see is when I hit the light just right, but I would not use the phone at that angle, as it is just reflecting everything. Alas, I have to go back today and have it fixed or removed. The proximity sensor now does not work. I get black screen when I try to make a call. This worked just fine until I had the protector installed, and it does cover the sensor.

Nokia does have this listed under their FAQ's:

Troubleshooting - Why does my Nokia Lumia's screen turn black when in a call? - Nokia - UK

I did try blowing air into the top part of the glass, as others have mentioned, but that did not solve the issue. It would have been odd for the dust issue to happen the same time I had the protector installed, but it appears it is the fault of the Ghost Armor.

I called them and they said it should not be covering the sensor. I have to take it back up there and let them take a look at it. It appears that a lot of these initial cases/screen protectors are imperfect. Guess they were makeing using pictures of the device, without having one on hand.

I see another poster installed Ghost Armor, and I guess is not having the same issues. Maybe I got an initial protector that they have since corrected?

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
i got the armor suit screen protector, didnt like it or the install. weird about putting water on the screen. so now i have a ROCK one, ordered it from china. its amazing! can barely notice it. it only fits over the "screen" so it not on the curved parts of the glass. its pretty slick and you can order one from the obostore.com for $6. takes almost a month, but for that price you cant beat

ishredthecello

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The armorsuit came with a bit to cover up the metal part of the camera...not on the actual lens.

Anyone have the ghost armor carbon fiber ones for the back. I have a white 920 and was wondering how that looks, the site says there is a place near me...but I couldn't find it.

I'd rather have someone who installs them more often to do it. I suck at it.

jrjr488

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Bought and installed the Skinomi screen protector and it's great. Clear, doesn't attract fingerprints and non grippy. Fit is perfect.

Last edited:

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I love my 920 but I am afraid of getting the screen scratched. I bought a cheap case from Amazon, but it had it's faults, and I would rather not have a case. I decided to give Ghost Armor a try yesterday. It looks good, feels fine, and the only orange peel I can see is when I hit the light just right, but I would not use the phone at that angle, as it is just reflecting everything. Alas, I have to go back today and have it fixed or removed. The proximity sensor now does not work. I get black screen when I try to make a call. This worked just fine until I had the protector installed, and it does cover the sensor.

Nokia does have this listed under their FAQ's:

Troubleshooting - Why does my Nokia Lumia's screen turn black when in a call? - Nokia - UK

I did try blowing air into the top part of the glass, as others have mentioned, but that did not solve the issue. It would have been odd for the dust issue to happen the same time I had the protector installed, but it appears it is the fault of the Ghost Armor.

I called them and they said it should not be covering the sensor. I have to take it back up there and let them take a look at it. It appears that a lot of these initial cases/screen protectors are imperfect. Guess they were makeing using pictures of the device, without having one on hand.

I see another poster installed Ghost Armor, and I guess is not having the same issues. Maybe I got an initial protector that they have since corrected?

I have the GA. I'm not having any issues with the proximity sensor. And I don't see a cutout for it. I suspect it has to do with the I stall. The screen portion of mine is perfect. No orange peel at all. The guy who did it did a really good job.

Mantikos

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Zagg Dry is honestly the way to go having tried Zagg Wet, Skinomi and Bodygaurdz or whatever that is called

Zagg Dry is available at the AT&T store and they will install for you - I use that and the Belkin Bumper type case in black and red with my black Lumia 920 looks sharp and stays well protected against straches and falls (the bumper also keeps the lens off the table)

vangj

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the armor suit on mine. I have the invisible shield on its way. I ordered one because my first lumia 920 had minor scratches after a week. these things do scratch contrary to videos and popular belief.

Not a fan of the armor suit. Like others have mentioned, it does attract oil and smudges. It also feels rubbery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss