Sudden Battery Issues

broopa

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I tried to do a quick search for this but came up with nothing. First off my phone has been working flawlessly for the last 2 weeks. I never had a battery last me less then 10hrs listening to music, texting and emailing. Suddenly today all of that decided to change and I managed to get a measly 6 hours off the charger with the same amount of use. Has anyone else had this problem or did my battery just decide it wanted to fail on me.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried to do a quick search for this but came up with nothing. First off my phone has been working flawlessly for the last 2 weeks. I never had a battery last me less then 10hrs listening to music, texting and emailing. Suddenly today all of that decided to change and I managed to get a measly 6 hours off the charger with the same amount of use. Has anyone else had this problem or did my battery just decide it wanted to fail on me.

all depends on what was running in the background. I always close out of everything when I put my phone down for anything more than a minute (clicking back until you can't go any further than your home screen).

Moocowdeluxe

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My girlfriend and I both got Lumia 920s. Mine actually had a battery issue early on, while hers seemed to last forever and a day. Now it's reversed: mine has no battery issues but hers suddenly started dying fairly quickly.

What I did for mine was just a "battery pull" reset: hold the volume down and power buttons until the phone vibrates. Mine hasn't had an issue since then. I just did it yesterday on my girlfriend's, so I don't yet know if it resolved hers. Other have reported that doing a factory reset dramactically improved their battery life.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I actually have it reversed. Starting today, my battery has been phenomenal but I'm not sure if it's just because the battery isn't calibrated or what. It doesn't say anymore how long it has been off the charger but I unplugged around 8am and it's now 9pm and I have 55% left...but I'm weary of it. Going to charge it tonight and see what tomorrow's like

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of it has to do with apps running in the background. I was using a ringtone app when I got a call. After I hung up, I noticed the phone was running hot and the battery drained quickly for the first time. I did a reset and then it cooled down and the battery ran fine. I always try to exit apps if I am not going to use them any more since they load up so fast. I get easily a day almost every day, unless I do some heavy game play. One night, after a verly long day and normal usage, I still had 40% of the battery left when I put it on the charger around 1am. It is too bad there is not an app like task manager where you can go and see what applications or processes are eating up CPU utilization.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
my phone s battery was great but every since I updated the network plus and Nokia trailers yesterday it seemed to eat up the battery faster

brudolph1211

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
One thing that I've noticed which destroys my battery life is web browsing. I can txt, play games, email, even stream music and my battery will last all day. But it seems if I'm web browsing it just sucks the life out of my battery. Has anyone else noticed the same issue? I did a test with my old iPhone 4 and web browsing on the iPhone for 15 min drained the battery about 2%. Where the 920 drained about 8% in the same amount of time.

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
For those having battery issues.. long press the back button and see if there is any app that is running in the background. A long press on the back button followed by a series of short presses until you are stuck on the home screen is a good habit to pick up. Also, if you have Facebook or Skype app, please delete and try reinstalling..

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
One thing that I've noticed which destroys my battery life is web browsing. I can txt, play games, email, even stream music and my battery will last all day. But it seems if I'm web browsing it just sucks the life out of my battery. Has anyone else noticed the same issue? I did a test with my old iPhone 4 and web browsing on the iPhone for 15 min drained the battery about 2%. Where the 920 drained about 8% in the same amount of time.

yes and it gets hot when browsing

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I feel like this thread is getting off topic. This isn't a "I'm having battery problems in general" thread. It's a "I'm all of a sudden having bad battery life after having good battery life" thread.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. This is my 2nd 920 (first one had the top of the phone loose defect) and they both have had great battery life for me. I've been used to going to 8am-midnight with 30% left on the 920.... Then yesterday I did a few Nokia updates.. now I see my phone die today after 8am-3pm. Last night it drained from 70%-40% in a few hours. Something is up. It didn't used to be like this.

If it doesn't improve I'm going to try to convince ATT to let me exchange it for the note 2. I loved my first note, and I love my lumia 920 even more, but I cannot handle crappy battery life.

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I think battery life depends almost entirely on the apps installed. As a software engineer, if you came to me with this problem, I'd say wipe the phone and put it in its default state and see how long the battery lasts. Then, add your apps one by one - using it for a while in between to see which one impacts life. Is it a pain in the butt? You bet, but it's the only way to isolate the problem and see what exactly is cause the problem. You have to have a clean repro scenario for an engineer to fix something like this. I'd bet money the problem that has suddenly appeared is do to a new app installed or a new option/setting change in the phone. I doubt strongly that the battery has spontaneously lost capacity.

I've notice a huge difference in battery life depending on what I have installed. Getting rid of the CNN app and ESPN made a big difference for me but the only way to really figure this out is to have a true baseline of how long it lasts in a default configuration.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I feel like this thread is getting off topic. This isn't a "I'm having battery problems in general" thread. It's a "I'm all of a sudden having bad battery life after having good battery life" thread.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. This is my 2nd 920 (first one had the top of the phone loose defect) and they both have had great battery life for me. I've been used to going to 8am-midnight with 30% left on the 920.... Then yesterday I did a few Nokia updates.. now I see my phone die today after 8am-3pm. Last night it drained from 70%-40% in a few hours. Something is up. It didn't used to be like this.

If it doesn't improve I'm going to try to convince ATT to let me exchange it for the note 2. I loved my first note, and I love my lumia 920 even more, but I cannot handle crappy battery life.

They are going to fix this .. whatever it is. It's not going to be like this for the life of the phone, or even several months. If you love the phone, stick it out. There are a LOT of these devices being sold, I can guarantee that people are working on these issues and they'll release an update soon.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think I may have a fix for the OP and others who have this issue! Finally one solution to battery problems that I know works lol. My battery usually lasts between 12-15 hours with moderate use, but yesterday the battery drained in 9 hours with very little use (barely touched it, I was in my classes.) I think it has something to do with LTE connection, because my phone consistently overheated yesterday when looking for signal in my school building, which gets no signal whatsoever. It would overheat every half hour or so, and that battery would just draaaain. Today I did a soft reset on my phone and turned off background tasks, and my phone stayed cool all day! Battery saver didn't kick in until I was 17 hours into the charge. If you have background tasks constantly trying to update live tiles in an area with no connection, that battery suffers.

So my advice: Perform a soft reset, and turn off background tasks in areas with poor coverage. (I mean really, I'm sure you don't need the latest weather every thirty minutes.)

devilgunman

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. Very first few week the phone worked perfectly fine with all kind of apps running in the background. It lasted more than a day after heavy used. Then I have updated software MS put out in this pass few weeks and everything got a lot worse. My phone barely lasts 5 hours with nothing running in the background. In fact, the battery drains from 77 to 75% while I'm typing this comment! This is horrible.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem after 4 days of owning my L920. Strangely it resolved itself. My hypothesis is either the battery measurement/gauge is completely f-ed up, or there's something in the background controlled via the OS/firmware that causes it.

dinkatoid

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have had this issue in the past. I have times where my battery easily gets me 2 days (I am a light to moderate user). On occasion, my battery will hit 20% or lower within 14-16 hours. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you, but if yours is anything like mine, if you just keep closing out of all apps and charging it, battery life goes back to normal. I am guessing that there is an app or two, or that it is stuck trying to connect to my wifi (it sometimes gives a signal but no internet and causes problems) and just ends up running through the battery. It's not really a big deal for me as long as I make it till I go to bed, since I can charge it nightly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium