Love Tiles but...

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Coming From Android, the live tiles have been something new, spectacular imo and pretty amazing. I am used to having a lot of widgets and apps on the screen (rather than looking in the app drawer) on android. But when it comes to my 920 i just seem to be running out of space, there is just so much i want on my home screen, wondering if it would not be a bad idea for wm8 to introduce multiple screens.

any thoughts?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I only use medium or large tiles for specific apps that have useful tile info that i want frequently enough, otherwise I use the small size for some app launching or items with counters. Not sure a multi-page design is in the spirit of Microsoft's new UI. Just like Windows 8, it has the long scrolling screen, albeit horizontal.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You can just make the tiles smaller. Maybe there could be tile folders in the future. Where you shove a bunch of tiles into one and the folder tile displays stuff. But multiple home screen is disorganized and creates clutter.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I only use medium or large tiles for specific apps that have useful tile info that i want frequently enough, otherwise I use the small size for some app launching or items with counters. Not sure a multi-page design is in the spirit of Microsoft's new UI. Just like Windows 8, it has the long scrolling screen, albeit horizontal.

It does come down to that, but there are a lot of things that i want on the medium or large tiles (weather, mail, music,photos,football scores, ) and having the small tile for them reduces the aesthetic quotient, for example having a small tile for the live score of sports is useless cause i will need to go into the app to get information.

there are however some apps for which small tiles suffice (pdf reader, office, xbox games...)

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
You can just make the tiles smaller. Maybe there could be tile folders in the future. Where you shove a bunch of tiles into one and the folder tile displays stuff. But multiple home screen is disorganized and creates clutter.

Folders would again defeat this purpose, for the point of live tile is to show the important info without going into the app.

Besides Tiles is/are windows mobiles USP and i dont think they are going to mess around with this too much, but adding multiple screens is something i think is very useful

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Just scroll down and maybe adjust the sizes of some of your tiles. You can pin a large amount of apps on the homescreen if you know how to adjust your tile sizes.

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
If you want that go to android / iPhone. Windows phones have a different experience for a reason.

You misunderstand me mon ami, have been using android for over 2 years and i just switched to wm8 . I love everything about the phone, this thread was a mere suggestion over the OS improvement.

PS

Android lags like crazy, give it 6 months and you will need a 24 core processor to run key lime pie. I think apple products are overpriced

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, how much would you want to scroll. The whole point of apps on the screen rather than the app drawer/section is the ease of access. scrolling defeats this purpose

Scrolling isn't much different than swiping to go to another screen.

I suppose a swipe to the side could be slightly faster, but not by much.

On one side we already have Kids Corner, so we won't be able to swipe to that side. A lot of people have suggested that a swipe to the other side should be for notifications.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Running out of room? how many apps do you want? i have like 16 apps already displayed when my screen i scrolled all the way up and can fit a lot more if i changed my tiles and 34 apps all together and i barely have to scroll Android can only fit like 16 right? Then keep scrolling and scrolling if you want more which is annoying. If you use widgets forget about having a lot of apps on your screen unless you use folders which doesnt realy give you quick access.

perhaps the issue is you have a wm8, i use a wp8

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Running out of room? how many apps do you want? i have like 16 apps already displayed when my screen i scrolled all the way up and can fit a lot more if i changed my tiles and 34 apps all together and i barely have to scroll Android can only fit like 16 right? Then keep scrolling and scrolling if you want more which is annoying. If you use widgets forget about having a lot of apps on your screen unless you use folders which doesnt realy give you quick access.

perhaps the issue is you have a wm8, i use a wp8

I think that part of the issue is that Live Tiles are just so cool that it's hard to pick and choose which ones you want to make small. You want to see all the neat little animations and data.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is coming out with the Lumia 9200 next year. It's going to have like a 45" screen so that everything can be conveniently accessed.

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Coming From Android, the live tiles have been something new, spectacular imo and pretty amazing. I am used to having a lot of widgets and apps on the screen (rather than looking in the app drawer) on android. But when it comes to my 920 i just seem to be running out of space, there is just so much i want on my home screen, wondering if it would not be a bad idea for wm8 to introduce multiple screens.

any thoughts?

I personally with the live tiles scrolled down like pages instead of a continous scroll. that would make gettting to apps much faster that are far down the page.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You misunderstand me mon ami, have been using android for over 2 years and i just switched to wm8 . I love everything about the phone, this thread was a mere suggestion over the OS improvement.

PS

Android lags like crazy, give it 6 months and you will need a 24 core processor to run key lime pie. I think apple products are overpriced

Lol well they do have quad cores. I think they will get there soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans