A component is loose inside my Lumia 920 is this normal for you guys?

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if this is part of the design or a defective unit.

When I shake my Lumia 920 i can hear a feel like a component (Maybe the Battery) is loose inside.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Does anyone know if this is by design?

Calm down people - that's the image stabilized camera! If you don't quit shaking the phones you might very well end up breaking something real here :)

dudedud

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It's NOT the battery, i took my phone apart already to see if i could easily fix the loose vibrator sound in my phone (I couldnt btw) and the battery is glued/taped to the rest of the components.
It is the floating camera lens

kumasokka

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe it is he battery in my case, as the piece moving is fairly large, and it is located at the bottom of my phone (you can test this yourself by shaking it in the manner stated above, but applying slight pressure with a finger halfway between the camera and the bottom of the phone). For me, when the slight pressure is applied, the shake disappears, which indicates a loose component.

RyoTGZ

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It's NOT the battery, i took my phone apart already to see if i could easily fix the loose vibrator sound in my phone (I couldnt btw) and the battery is glued/taped to the rest of the components.
It is the floating camera lens

I took mine apart and it was the battery. Put a small shim in and the noise went away.

fradchad

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You all are brave voiding your warranty opening it up. I got mine exchanged and actually like the black more than yellow now.

lennyk1313

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Calm down people - that's the image stabilized camera! If you don't quit shaking the phones you might very well end up breaking something real here :)

It is not the image stabilizer, it is most definitely something heavy like the battery If I tilt my phone from one side to another it actually moves and stays there, and it has heavy feel to it. I have head image stabilizer on my friends 920 and its very faint quite sound.

Yanoch

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that on my device, the battery was loose by about 1mm. The battery was able to move from left to right and that was producing the shaking noise / feeling.
I've been able to fix it by putting a small shim on one side of the battery.

I can also confirm that there's no sticker or any visible way to determine if the phone has been opened or not.

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, after reading this I checked mine and now I'm going to be paranoid about it. if it is just the battery is it a big deal? Other than knowing it is there it doesn't seem to be bothering anything.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I will get my second Lumia replaced now because of the loose battery. I wouldn't exchange it for it that alone, but it developed also the proximity sensor issue over the last week (for which I had my first Lumia replaced) and creaking noises all over the chassis...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Idk, I can feel something, just assumed it was the gyroscope or something. Still not sure if it's an issue or not.

Yanoch

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, after reading this I checked mine and now I'm going to be paranoid about it. if it is just the battery is it a big deal? Other than knowing it is there it doesn't seem to be bothering anything.

It is just ennoying. I'm not an expert but I don't think it could affect to phone in the long run. In fact the battery is just not tight...

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It is just ennoying. I'm not an expert but I don't think it could affect to phone in the long run. In fact the battery is just not tight...
Yes, it shouldn't be an issue. The battery is not pressed against contacts (where the it could lose contact when moved to far) but connected with a cable, so slight movement should do no harm. Nevertheless, it's annoying.

I got my 2nd Black one now replaced because of that and the re-occuring proximity sensor and dust under FFC and Case creaking issue (which my first black also had). So let's wait until my 3rd one get's delivered from the Care Point. They already shipped it.

domain37

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am relieved to see all these posts, I noticed this on the first day on got the phone on release day and posted immediatly and no one responded, there is definetly something loose inside most of them, I went to the store and tested everyone on the shelve, and I have had three and all of them do it. I hope this isn't something that is going to be a problem because it is widespread. And I switched from an iphone and also have a friend with the Galaxy S3 and neither of those have anything loose inside and I shook the **** out of both of them. This loose hardware can be felt in mine eve if I put my phone up to my ear to fast so it's not from shaking it too hard, although because it is in the back of my head I find myself shaking it often. i hope Nokia acknowledges this and tries to fix it for people affected.

dadueler

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have this same issue, a heavy thud, definitely sounds like the battery, tried every single handset they had at the AT&T Store, and there's no doubt that mine is abnormal. Interestingly, wireless charging does not work on my phone, I tested my charger with a phone in the store, and tried my phone on all the display chargers, all their phones charge wirelessly. Possible relationship between the two problems? Have you guys with "loose batteries" been able to charge wirelessly? Talked to Nokia, they asked me to send the phone in for repair. How have you guys gotten replacements? I'm past my two weeks with AT&T...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea