No Nokia Maps / Apps won't update

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Well. Have to say, the WP8 ecosystem/devices aren't really ones I could recommend currently. Here's the latest issue: had an update to Nokia Maps appear today, but failed to download. It gets 50% complete then errors out with a "8103010d" code and fails to finish. Ok, no big deal except that WP8 disables the app you are attempting to update. So now I have no maps. Great.

I was a hearty supporter of WP7 after Mango. Rock-solid, good design, great ecosystem of services. Now the opposite is true - the devices have stability issues, battery problems, build quality concerns; the ecosystem lost a decent number of features: wireless sync, Zune/XBox Video playback, custom podcast support, a decent desktop app; and no one at MS seems to care or get this. Whichever intern at MS screwed up during the WP8 design process needs to be fired.

Back to the original point of this post- anyone had the 8103010d error and got around it?

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
back up and reset.

That is the most idiotic thing I've heard yet. Did you even read what I wrote?
Do you think you are going to win any points if you tell the average consumer "back up and reset."

Now, let's look at your utterly clueless statement. We'll start with "Back up."
How?
Oh wait. There is no backup system. You can sync some of your stuff to the cloud, but no apps, app settings, tiles, configuration, etc are going to "Back up" as you so eloquently stated your solution. AH, but at least I can sync my media to my PC then get it back, right? NO. The brilliant sync app doesn't work for ... well, anyone that I've talked to. Crashes almost immediately.

Now let's look at "reset."
Sure. And the average consumer knows how to do this? I do. But mom? Not a chance. So, in essence, this means taking the phone into an AT&T store, sitting for about an hour, then losing all your stuff- assuming the rep even knows how to do a reset. And then? The next time an update for the maps pops up, the same issue likely happens again. Check the forums, it's an issue that's been reported more than once now.

Sorry if you are just trying to be helpful. In fact, your solution does work. It's just not a solution that is reasonable.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
That is the most idiotic thing I've heard yet. Did you even read what I wrote?
Do you think you are going to win any points if you tell the average consumer "back up and reset."

Now, let's look at your utterly clueless statement. We'll start with "Back up."
How?
Oh wait. There is no backup system. You can sync some of your stuff to the cloud, but no apps, app settings, tiles, configuration, etc are going to "Back up" as you so eloquently stated your solution. AH, but at least I can sync my media to my PC then get it back, right? NO. The brilliant sync app doesn't work for ... well, anyone that I've talked to. Crashes almost immediately.

Sure. And the average consumer knows how to do this? I do. But mom? Not a chance. So, in essence, this means taking the phone into an AT&T store, sitting for about an hour, then losing all your stuff- assuming the rep even knows how to do a reset. And then? The next time an update for the maps pops up, the same issue likely happens again. Check the forums, it's an issue that's been reported more than once now.

Sorry if you are just trying to be helpful. In fact, your solution does work. It's just not a solution that is reasonable.

First, chill the F out. Now let's see at your utterly clueless statement. Go to settings, and select back up. You can back up your IE favorites, You entire installed apps list, most settings, pictures, videos, texts, pretty much the entire phone. I've backed up my phone 3 times now, takes less than 5 minutes. While you can't restore all purchased apps from that back up, you can go to windowsphone.com and send all apps to install on your phone from your computer.

Now onto the next statement, the reset. It doesn't take a genius to reset your phone. If you can't find a reset button, you shouldn't use your phone or operate any kind of machinery. It's in settings->about->RESET YOUR PHONE. There, took me less than 2 seconds to find that button. If you can't find it, it's called google.. It takes roughly 3 minutes to reset and another 3-4 minutes to reboot and load all factory apps. Why would you go to AT&T for a such a simple task?

This issue has been reported, yes. But it also has been reported numerous times that a reset fixes it.

Here are your options:
1. Call Nokia and listen to them tell you the same thing I did, only this way you will be on the phone for the next 30 minutes.
2. Call AT&T and listen to them tell you the same thing I did, only this way you will be on the phone for the next 1 hour.
3. ***** and moan, until somebody tells you to do a reset.
4. Go to AT&T store and replace your device.

You have a great day now pumpkin.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If you could learn to read, you might figure out that I didn't ask how to reset the phone. In fact, let's look at the quote, pumpkin.

"Now let's look at "reset."
Sure. And the average consumer knows how to do this? I do."

That "I do" part refers to knowing how to reset the phone, in case you might have missed that. The following paragraph explains why that's not acceptable. Go take a gander since you clearly did not last time.

As for backing up, I've already reset my phone, and the list of things you think are backed up are either wrong or just ignorant. About 1/10 of the app list was restored, with absolutely zero settings. Punching back in a list of 50 stocks is not something you just decide to do for fun on a Thursday evening. I don't set my phone to upload pics to Skydrive for battery reasons, but yes, I could manually tap all the photos and hit upload. No music is backed up, and I don't have a list of what I've got on there. Already mentioned that the tiles don't get put back in place, and doing that for the 3rd time isn't exactly fun. "Pretty much the entire phone" is just hogwash. Try actually resetting your phone and come back with some accurate info.

And this still doesn't fix the problem. The next time Maps shows up as an update, the same thing often happens- as has been reported here and elsewhere.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
THis happens to only Nokia apps, your only solution is to backup and rest.

Both lens and right now music icon is blacked out, will stop at 50% and you can not install.

I've mentioned this to Nokia, no response other than reset.

The issue is your phone crashing during the installation process which kills the app. THis usually happens when you update all, if you get multiple updates, go one by one, i haven't had any issues doing this way.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The issue has happened in the past, pre-Nokia. I remember it happening just after 7.5, but seemed to resolve itself. I'm just going to not worry about it for now and hope Nokia/MS get this embarrassment fixed ASAP.

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You must be having an awful awful day. Try to do something else and relax, you are taking this way too seriously. People are trying to help you and you are just shouting back at them for absolutely no reason.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Nin.

Possibly true. Also possible that the forums here, which used to be so polite, have degraded into terse, rude apologists. On the other hand, spending an hour trying to fix this ridiculous problem that shouldn't have occurred in the first place probably didn't help my temper much. Nor did the fact that I, being a proponent of 14 people buying a Nokia 920 on launch day, am now eating crow.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

You sync settings and apps, not sure about app settings. Tiles you have to redo, configuration too I think.

Youll have your messages and photos/videos that synced to Skydrive.

Of course, personally back up my media to the computer. How can I get through the impossible situation of a syncing app? I copy/paste the folders to my desktop, and move them back to the phone afterwards. Easy.

Read the manual? Or just look in Settings until you find "About" and "reset phone"? Its not real clear, but its there. And the manual (iirc) mentions it.

I agree, you shouldnt get that error to begin with. Of course, its the first Ive heard of something like this, so its probably not representative of the model.
Still, it seems like a real annoyance.

Of course, the fix is quite easily done with a reset. Yeah I get that its annoying, but still. C'est la vie, nescaf?? :)

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You sync settings and apps, not sure about app settings. Tiles you have to redo, configuration too I think.

Youll have your messages and photos/videos that synced to Skydrive.

Of course, personally back up my media to the computer. How can I get through the impossible situation of a syncing app? I copy/paste the folders to my desktop, and move them back to the phone afterwards. Easy.

Read the manual? Or just look in Settings until you find "About" and "reset phone"? Its not real clear, but its there. And the manual (iirc) mentions it.

I agree, you shouldnt get that error to begin with. Of course, its the first Ive heard of something like this, so its probably not representative of the model.
Still, it seems like a real annoyance.

Of course, the fix is quite easily done with a reset. Yeah I get that its annoying, but still. C'est la vie, nescaf?? :)

You are drastically overestimating the average consumer. They won't do any of those things- trust me, it's my job as a dev to do focus groups over and over to see what people understand and what they expect.

There are a few issues in your post, however-
I don't sync my photos to Skydrive, as stated before, but yes, that's doable.
There is no manual. At least, no paper one. And no, I did actually ask a focus group if they could reset their phone. 90%+ did not know to even look under "About"
And this is a common problem- take a look : 8103010d - Bing

I appreciate the comments, but this kind of thing is what people take phones back to the store and get different phones for. And, if MS can't fix this after a full year, I am beginning to agree with them.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I hope you end up getting a different phone; non windows phone. I came to this forum post looking for help about the same issue only to find you bashing other members for no reason. "average consumer"? "focus groups"? These have nothing to do with the issue at hand. It seems the only solutions and workarounds so far are the ones posted here. What solution do you expect? See I can talk about my job as I do tech support for (non-Microsoft) devices and backup and restore are usually the go to for system problems like this. But what were you wishing to find on this forum? Some magical combination of button presses and screen gestures, then poof! Problem solved!? Let me know when you find that out. Until then I'd appreciate it if you not try to bust the balls of our fellow community members because you are upset.

Last edited:

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I hope you end up getting a different phone; non windows phone. I came to this forum post looking for help about the same issue only to find you bashing other members for no reason. "average consumer"? "focus groups"? These have nothing to do with the issue at hand. It seems the only solutions and workarounds so far are the ones posted here. What solution do you expect? See I can talk about my job as I do tech support for (non-Microsoft) devices and backup and restore are usually the go to for system problems like this. But what were you wishing to find on this forum? Some magical combination of button presses and screen gestures, then poof! Problem solved!? Let me know when you find that out. Until then I'd appreciate it if you not try to bust the balls of our fellow community members because you are upset.

Why don't you go read my other posts before you say anything about my contribution to these forums?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99