No Nokia Maps / Apps won't update

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a WP8 yet but wasn't it is like on WP7? If an app got download error just hit try again. While it's still on the download process, hit/hold on the download meter and the pop-up option will give you "pause or cancel download" as options. The later should cancel the update you can use the app again from it's previous version.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You can still gets maps on your phone. Go to www.bing.com/maps and the Bing Maps app will open on your phone (protip: Get one of those free custom tile makers from the store, create an icon, and link it to that same URL. I prefer Bing Maps to Nokia Maps so I do it that way).

You can also just hit the search button, Local Scout, and click on the portion of the map that is showing. Until the update can complete or you can get it to complete, you'll have to use the Bing Maps app (all searching from the phone uses it anyway, so you're not totally disabled). Bing Maps also directly links to Nokia Drive if you use that... just hit 'Get Directions' and once they show, hit the bent arrow at the bottom of the screen.

If the download shows still (maybe as "Attention required") you can always tap and hold, then cancel the download and try again (if you haven't already). You can go to purchase history from your phone and try downloading that way, or try fully uninstalling Nokia Maps from the app list and try again completely.

PS: Apps are backed up and fully auto reinstall upon restore (I just did a restore - swapped out my phone due to a battery issue). App settings are a different story, but the apps are all there. I made a thread with a bunch of screenshots of how it all worked in the Lumia 810 forum if you feel like checking it out. I realize backup/restore isn't an option for you, but just pointing it out for the future if you swap out your device for another or whatever.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a WP8 yet but wasn't it is like on WP7? If an app got download error just hit try again. While it's still on the download process, hit/hold on the download meter and the pop-up option will give you "pause or cancel download" as options. The later should cancel the update you can use the app again from it's previous version.

Allies- yes, in a normal state you could do that, however, when it gets into this state, hitting "retry" causes it to do the exact same thing over and over.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You can still gets maps on your phone. Go to www.bing.com/maps and the Bing Maps app will open on your phone (protip: Get one of those free custom tile makers from the store, create an icon, and link it to that same URL. I prefer Bing Maps to Nokia Maps so I do it that way).

You can also just hit the search button, Local Scout, and click on the portion of the map that is showing. Until the update can complete or you can get it to complete, you'll have to use the Bing Maps app (all searching from the phone uses it anyway, so you're not totally disabled). Bing Maps also directly links to Nokia Drive if you use that... just hit 'Get Directions' and once they show, hit the bent arrow at the bottom of the screen.

If the download shows still (maybe as "Attention required") you can always tap and hold, then cancel the download and try again (if you haven't already). You can go to purchase history from your phone and try downloading that way, or try fully uninstalling Nokia Maps from the app list and try again completely.

PS: Apps are backed up and fully auto reinstall upon restore (I just did a restore - swapped out my phone due to a battery issue). App settings are a different story, but the apps are all there. I made a thread with a bunch of screenshots of how it all worked in the Lumia 810 forum if you feel like checking it out. I realize backup/restore isn't an option for you, but just pointing it out for the future if you swap out your device for another or whatever.

Mystic- thanks! I knew that bing.com launched the search app, but hadn't thought to try bing.com/maps. Brilliant! I'll pin one of those...

The new exciting problem that might be coming with this issue is that the NFC tag on my new Nokia stand charger doesn't work correctly. Hadn't had one before yesterday, so it could be caused by something else, but now, when I tap the NFC tag on the charger to set it up, the Nokia Accessories Setup launches, but gets stuck on the screen where you are supposed to pick an app to launch when charging. I'm assuming that it's trying to populate an app list, gets to the broken Nokia Maps app, and gets stuck in some sort of loop. Ugh. Very annoying.

Munibullah Wahdy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Nokia maps, tried the update and have the same problem. All greyed out expect pining option.
I have been in contact with the nokia support center through mails and i told them i do not want reseting or factory reset as a solution but they are pushing towards that. Then i need the ZUNE SOFTWARE for the reset, which you dont get in 460 pounds, what a shame.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I read that leaving the data connection on will help because the Store checks for updates at certain times. I left it on today and suddenly I check my phone and voila! 3 new updates from Netflix, Taptitude and... display+touch!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99