Don't skip linking your Microsoft Account on setup!

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Got my phone at lunch, but didn't have a SIM or wifi nearby, so I turned it on and skipped the initial linking. Once I got into work and had wifi, tried linking my Microsoft acct. Consistently failed. Always with 80048264. FB, gmail, everything else I could sync.

Found the following thread:

error code 80048264 - Microsoft Community

Basically says this happened to them when they skipped linking their MSFT account. Only fix is to reset the phone to factory. Just tried it again, but since I don't have a SIM (picking up a ST SIM tonight after work), it still fails. This is a pretty glaring issue, IMO. Anyone know a workaround before I send Mr Ballmer a harshly-worded email?

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Sent the following to Steve Ballmer. Don't care if it goes into the trash. I feel better.

Mr. Ballmer,

I am a Microsoft believer. I have an xbox 360, recently purchased an Ideapad Yoga with Windows 8, and have upgraded 2 home PCs to the latest version of Windows. I bought a generation 1 Windows Phone device and was super excited to replace it with a Lumia 920.

I am also a software developer. I work solely with the Microsoft stack, and have been programming in C# for over 7 years. We're on the same team.

I am disappointed, though. I bought the 920 contract-free full price to use on another cellular provider. I bought it over lunch, wanting to show it off to my coworkers. At the time, I did not have a SIM card to insert into the device.

I powered it on, and was told that it didn't recognize a SIM card. That's ok, the first-time setup gracefully recovered and let me continue through setup without a SIM card.

I connected to a wifi network and attempted to link the phone with my Microsoft account. I received an 0x80048264 error. Figuring I had mistyped my password, I tried again. Same error. Tried restarting the phone, reconnected to wifi, same error.

Launched Bing (yes, I use Bing, too!) and searched for the error number. Found a few people that also had the issue. Some said once they did a factory reset, it worked. So I tried that. Still no luck. Researched some more, asked some people on a messageboard, and they, too, get the error when they attempt to setup a new phone without a SIM in.

This is a problem. Step 1, the moment where I should be falling in love with my phone, I'm frustrated. Yes, I'm a minority, because most people will start up with a SIM in the phone. But, if you allow me to continue without a SIM, why haven't you tested that this actually works?

I want Microsoft to succeed. But you and I both know it's the little things that "delight" people. WP8 is a great platform. You and the company have done a great job of making a pocket-sized PC. But you can't forget the little stuff.

Hoping for a bright future,

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Guys u did a factory reset that is available in the phone menu? Have u tried hard resetting the device?
Hold vol down, power and camera button for about 10 secs, the phone will vibrate. Before this procedure, insert the SIM card. Hope this works.

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I think what miodrage is describing is called soft resetting. The factory resetting through the About menu is hard resetting.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to not encounter this issue. I just set up my 920 today and skipped the SIM card and initial MS account linking at set up.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Got my phone at lunch, but didn't have a SIM or wifi nearby, so I turned it on and skipped the initial linking. Once I got into work and had wifi, tried linking my Microsoft acct. Consistently failed. Always with 80048264. FB, gmail, everything else I could sync.

Found the following thread:

error code 80048264 - Microsoft Community

Basically says this happened to them when they skipped linking their MSFT account. Only fix is to reset the phone to factory. Just tried it again, but since I don't have a SIM (picking up a ST SIM tonight after work), it still fails. This is a pretty glaring issue, IMO. Anyone know a workaround before I send Mr Ballmer a harshly-worded email?

So you tried to set up a cell phone without a cell signal or wifi connection and when it didn't work you blame the CEO of Microsoft. You are what is seriously wrong with this world today.

netpolice

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
So you tried to set up a cell phone without a cell signal or wifi connection and when it didn't work you blame the CEO of Microsoft. You are what is seriously wrong with this world today.

Hey, jaj324 , you on way up there on your high horse, yea, you with you nose up in the air, you who doesn't have a clue what of going on on Earth. A simple message programed to inform the user that this problem would occur when attempting this function would be expected from MS; better yet, a program to block this function, along with a few words of caution, along with the option to over-ride would be nice. This is still a new tech, with as many diverse minds as their are people trying to fill in the gaps MS didn't fill in. Ever heard of "user-friendly"? This is something you are not. You, like the other clueless people, i.e., the people who write, "Get a New One, duh!", require the rest of us on the planet have to stoop so low to have to put-up with your profound ignorance. Next time, look in the mirror when you say, "You are what is wrong with this world!"

You are busted!

inurear

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey, jaj324 , you on way up there on your high horse, yea, you with you nose up in the air, you who doesn't have a clue what of going on on Earth. A simple message programed to inform the user that this problem would occur when attempting this function would be expected from MS; better yet, a program to block this function, along with a few words of caution, along with the option to over-ride would be nice. This is still a new tech, with as many diverse minds as their are people trying to fill in the gaps MS didn't fill in. Ever heard of "user-friendly"? This is something you are not. You, like the other clueless people, i.e., the people who write, "Get a New One, duh!", require the rest of us on the planet have to stoop so low to have to put-up with your profound ignorance. Next time, look in the mirror when you say, "You are what is wrong with this world!"

You are busted!

Lolololol
No tech is immune to issues. Stop being a b!tch
And with your ignorance I wouldn't be surprised that the issue is not the tech, but the user.

Jay van Santen

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
To require a hard reset of a device in order to connect it later to an email account is a disastrous design choice (or oversight). And, it confirms the "user-hostile" reputation of Windows 8.1 phones -- pretty on the surface, but less capable than the very first smartphones and much less easy to use.

Tried a soft reset according to various instructions after adding the required MS email account. Still no love.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos