So, should I buy a Lumia 920?

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.
Well as the title says, im wondering if the Lumia 920 is a good catch after all?
I have a HTC Titan today with good old 7.5 (been around since Samsung Omnia 7 entered stores) and have been pretty happy with it. I feel there could have been more feat on the OS it self, but Metro is lovely and WP8 should add some to that if I understand it all correct. New OS and new hardware mean more functions not less right? And the camera is a high selling point amongst others.

But I have a question. And I need you to answer honestly, because I have decided this thread will be the one that makes me buy the Lumia 920 or effective immediately leave MSFT's mobile platform and get the Sammy Note 2.

There have been many issues reported around WP8 OS and the 920 it self so im starting to back out as it stands now. No FM radio, can't watch movies with Xbox Video, bad syncing options, freezing, battery issues, dust under screen, missing apps and games, overheating. And the list goes on, I do hope you see the reason im asking my question, I love the way the OS looks and all, but there have to be sound reasons why I would get a Lumia 920.

My question is as follows:

Are people making excuses for the phone and OS that is more fan related then actually a good solid experience where everything just works?

WP7 had its flaws and the Titan its own flaws, but it seldom forced you to restart your phone, and never where I forced to turn of feat. because it could cause the phone to freeze or kill battery like there was no tomorrow.

Also, IE9 or 10 doesn't seem to matter (haven't try'ed W8 or WP8 IE10 yet, only Xbox version) anymore when i visit sites, like our national tv stations online "play" store. I can't watch anything on there anymore. My friends iPhone plays everything html5 related just fine, and I get a "you have to download flash player..." notification :-(

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
What are the points of the Galaxy Note 2 that appeal to you? You have pros and cons of the Lumia 920, but I don't see what has you considering either/or.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Having gone from Focus -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920, honestly WP8 feels a lot more unstable than WP7 ever did on either the Focus or 900. The sync options are indeed terrible, but once you find some workarounds you can get something that's ok, but not great. Not sure if you were around for the initial WP7 launch, but so far WP8 certainly seems like it's been bumpier. Everything doesn't just "work", but depending on what you're looking for, you can likely get into a fairly good place.

Coming from WP7 the new start screen interface really is a lot better, and at this point I can't imagine going back. The hardware on the 920 is also fantastic, makes the 900 feel cheap and janky by comparison, but the software needs to catch up.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

blah blah blah

My question is as follows:

Are people making excuses for the phone and OS that is more fan related then actually a good solid experience where everything just works?

blah blah blah
(

Being an early adopter comes with a price. I personally am thrilled with my 920. It is not as reliable as my rock solid 800 as I have had a couple hangups that is easily solved with the 2-button fix for now. No phone has been rock solid when it is first released, but that is neither here nor there for you since we are talking about the 920.

Since your timeline is so short. TODAY...effective immediately... the answer seems simple. Move on. The folks that bought their phones now.... the majority anyway are going to remain happy and be happier still as updates come out. Late adopters, those purchasing in a couple months time, are going to be thrilled with a rock solid device.

So, good luck and enjoy the Sammy!

Cheers.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
WP8 is better than WP7.5. Many more features... Coming from a Lumia 900 to a 8X, I am unsure as to what you are talking about. Please give a list of points.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi and thnx for your answers, im sorry im late. Well to reply to you answers.
Wamsille: what I like about the Note 2 - Better browser support for Webb sites on html5, more storage, larger screen, more Swedish apps, voice support in my native language. On the negative: Gmail and Google privacy.
Vedichymn: Yes, been around from the start, a reason this beta phase is a grim repetition, and WP8 is buggier then WP7. Been thinking that maybe the camera and start screen is enough to suffer another beta test. Its harder for non living in U.S. citizens to accept WP because of bad support. The Titan build quality is superb.
Mikewp: thnx for the honest answer. As I mention earlier, I been through the beta phase with WP. The Note 2 is more polished and have more support for my country.
Coolknight1968: I basically wanted to know if WP8 is better then 7, and by how much. As for a list of functions I am asking you all. By a list of troubles with WP8, I mentioned some of them above. If you have no issues as noted, that's good and a + for me to choose the L920.

Now, I wasn't making up my mind over one day only, sorry for that misunderstanding. How ever, I flipped the coin and just ordered the L920. For better or for worse, I guess I will discover. And I can always return it and go the Note 2. The fact still remain though, this is the scariest technology choice I made ever, I have little faith in WP8.
Thnx for your replying.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
No FM radio, can't watch movies with Xbox Video, bad syncing options, freezing, battery issues, dust under screen, missing apps and games, overheating. And the list goes on, I do hope you see the reason im asking my question, I love the way the OS looks and all, but there have to be sound reasons why I would get a Lumia 920.

I dont see the syncing options as bad, but then I might not be syncing much.
Ive had no freezes.
I have had battery issues, which Im getting a replacement model for as we speak. However most users experience great batterylife on the 920, I wouldnt worry.
Dust under screen I havent seen on my phone nor heard of from anyone I know who have the phone.
I dont miss any apps and games.
As for overheating my phone never even gets more than slightly warm, nowhere near hot or overheating.

People generally want to defend their choices, so of course theres some "fan related" opinions on the subject.

But you must also remember that almost noone goes to a forum to make a post saying "my phone is fine". Most people dont even go to the forum at all. If they look for a forum its because they have a problem, and people who post generally also has a problem, and as such its easy to look at a forum about a product and think "wow, this product must be horrible, look at all the complaints".

Yet, it does not reflect reality.

Personally, Id chose the 920 over the SGS3 any day of the week, but thats me, with my use.

My reasons are several:

- Design is far better
- Screen is better
- Camera is better and will be improved
- Homescreen is FAAAAR better
- The way social networks interact with contacts (groups as well), Me-tile and photos is really great.
- The feeling of "new" is also a factor of course, its a delight.
- Build quality is superb. Without a doubt the most sturdy phone Ive had that doesnt feel like an out-of-date POS brick.
- Wireless charging. Really. You dont know how great this is until youve used it. Picking up your phone from your desk and walking out with a full battery casually, with no pulling of USB-wires or anything, its ridicolously good.
- Downloadable maps (works well for me here in Norway, and worked well for me on my N8 traveling Europe (germany, denmark, czech republic, italy, france).

But thats just me.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Nakazul: in Norway we have some, surely some firms ship to Sweden :) . Try komplett.no, or elkjop or some others, perhaps? It will come eventually, most retail stores wont have accessories until january at best.

Polkka

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 920 yesterday.I sold my sg3, 920 is a much better and higher quality than sg3 and i really like WP8 so so smooth!

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, did the exact same thing Polkka. 920 just feels better right off the bat :p . Dont get me wrong, SGS3 was a great phone, probably the best phone Ive had at the time.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm still loving mine for many of the same reason Slai gave. I have had no serious issues, and battery life has been excellent for me lately. Even when using the camera it's remarkably frugal with power. I think sound quality for listening to music is much better, and calls sound warmer and more natural too.

Perfect? No, but excellent overall. I've never been happier with a phone.

Zolotoy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Just to add my 2 cents. Dont know about S3 I am coming from S2. For me, one the most important features is a speech recognition: Voice dialing and stuff. Man, 920 to S2 is like Porsche to Corolla.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Japanese cars owns! :-D Nissan fan here, so in my world the 920 is a GTR :p

Well happy to hear all happy users and makes me at least a bit exited to soon get the new phone. Being a WP7 user from the start, I hope the start screen really is nice. I use my phone...to much to call it healthy :p and a fresh look is more then welcome.
The SIII seems to be a super good phone (never wanted one, the Note2 would have been it, still can be it if the 920 is huge fail) and as nice as the L920 build quality seems to be, it should be the OS that is the point. So as a ex. SIII fan what in the WP8 OS you like so much more?
Also, any SIII users from not U.S. that feels the same way? What im thinking here is that it have to be more features (as example: voice recognition) on Android for non U.S users then on WP, or is WP8 finally closing these gaps?

(btw, I always found the Galaxy SII much more beautiful then III).

Thnx for your support. And to my Norwegian friend: I want it in stores, im old fashion and ordering stuff is really boring. I want it NOOOOW! when I finally decide. This is my first ordered phone and the 2-3 day delivery time is a pain in the....nose.
Can you buy screen protectors now in Norway? And maybe a nice case/skin like the Lumia 800 had?

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Now, I wasn't making up my mind over one day only, sorry for that misunderstanding. How ever, I flipped the coin and just ordered the L920. For better or for worse, I guess I will discover. And I can always return it and go the Note 2. The fact still remain though, this is the scariest technology choice I made ever, I have little faith in WP8.
Thnx for your replying.

after reading this it sounds like you are setting yourself up for failure in getting the 920. it seems to me that you are getting the 920 to try it out but already to expect to replace it with a note 2. i expect to see another post from you named "Tried the 920 but going to note 2".

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Well tebugg, I am not new to WP and would like to think that i qualify, as a long time user, to have a reasonable opinion. If the phone is littered with faults and the flaws of WP8 is to huge, why should one need to defend the phone? I believe being causes don't mean i wouldn't give it a chance. Happy you are so 100% solid sure in your choice, don't assume everyone to be just that thou.

The sad part:
The Nokia syndrome seems to happen in Sweden to, and there is no delivery dates anymore. The promised shipping has turned to "-don't know when we can deliver the phone and will not give any promises". Now i need a new phone so this puts me, again, in a dilemma.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
How ever, I flipped the coin and just ordered the L920. For better or for worse, I guess I will discover. And I can always return it and go the Note 2. The fact still remain though, this is the scariest technology choice I made ever, I have little faith in WP8.
Thnx for your replying.

Do us all a favor, don't come back and post about how the 920 sucks and you're trading it in for a Note 2 later on. If you keep the 920 and you're happy with it, great. If not, then just see yourself out quietly.

Michael4000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Do us all a favor, don't come back and post about how the 920 sucks and you're trading it in for a Note 2 later on. If you keep the 920 and you're happy with it, great. If not, then just see yourself out quietly.

Actually, I think it is a benefit if people come on and say they are moving to a different phone, as long as they say why. Everybody's priorities are different, and it is helpful for those considering either phone. Now if they only built a WP8 phone with a 5.5" screen... :)

I'm in the same boat. I'm down to the 920 and the Note 2. I love the Note 2's big screen, but I am having trouble pulling the trigger with that home screen that looks like a 10 year old Linux desktop or Windows 98. Oh, that's right, Android is built on Linux. That explains that. :)

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss