Isn't lumia 920.. too big?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
8X and the L920 has the same dimensions. Doesn't make sense to go to 8X just for that. And the only reason why 8X might be better is: there's none actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better ergonomics? Better FFC? Better audio? You don't know what is or is not important to an individual.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While you can have the FFC and perhaps ergonomics too, the "better audio" is subjective. Some people might find Dolby better than Beats.

The better audio on the 8X isn't just Beats, but also having two dedicated amps and a grounded headphone jack.

Oddly enough, those were my priorities, and the 8X was my first choice, but my Focus was accidentally left on top of my car, then run over. There wee no HTC phones in store on launch day, so I took home a 920 instead. I'm happy enough with it that I didn't want to deal with the hassle of exchanging it, and with the changes to Navigon, I'm glad I have Nokia Drive.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I feel that it's just about right. I probably wouldn't ever go beyond a 4.5" screen (depends on the size of the bezel). I don't know how people can stand using some of these huge Android devices that are pushing 5" or more!

Don't base the size on screen size, the Lumia 920 is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY bigger than the GS3 effectively. The 10.7 mm thickness compared to the 8.6mm GS3 is WAAAAAYYYYY more noticeble than the height the GS3 has over the 920. width is the same but again, the brick shape makes all the difference in the world compared to the shell shaped GS3.

Overall volume, which is the true size, the L920 is much much bigger than any Android phone except the phablets.

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Better ergonomics? Better FFC? Better audio? You don't know what is or is not important to an individual.

Better ergonomics? No.
-the 920 has a premium feel. The matte finish is similar as the 8X. The grip is much better on the 920 since it doesn't have a sharper edge at the side of the phone as compared to 8X.

Better FFC? Yes, it has a wider angle. Unless you're a camwhore with a bunch of friends or one who uses Skype, with a bunch of friends, more than phone calls, then yes, 8X is better in this aspect. Sorry for missing out this point.

Audio? No. If you prefer pure sound, the 920 performs as good as the 8X. The amp does give you a louder volume, but come on, do you even listen to full volume on the 920? Maybe unless you're listening to some bach's nocturnes. And no again, if you prefer the EQ. The 920 has dhoby which is much better than the bassy beats. I've tested both in my local store. 920 wins hands down.

So I still don't get how 8X has anything that is better than 920, other than the 820's infamous frequent reboots. :D how irritating can that be? :/

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
So I still don't get how 8X has anything that is better than 920, other than the 820's infamous frequent reboots. :D how irritating can that be? :/

Umm what infamous frequent reboots on the 820? I had mine since one hour after the stores opened on launch day and no reboots. Lockups or any problems (knock on wood).

Although I didn't think the 920 was that much larger than my 900, I picked up the 820 due to it's size and ergonomics, feels just right in my hands.

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Umm what infamous frequent reboots on the 820? I had mine since one hour after the stores opened on launch day and no reboots. Lockups or any problems (knock on wood).

Although I didn't think the 920 was that much larger than my 900, I picked up the 820 due to it's size and ergonomics, feels just right in my hands.

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express

You obviously chose the red hot Ferrari over the Bugatti veyron, but either way it's good!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Don't base the size on screen size, the Lumia 920 is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY bigger than the GS3 effectively. The 10.7 mm thickness compared to the 8.6mm GS3 is WAAAAAYYYYY more noticeble than the height the GS3 has over the 920. width is the same but again, the brick shape makes all the difference in the world compared to the shell shaped GS3.

Overall volume, which is the true size, the L920 is much much bigger than any Android phone except the phablets.

Wrong!

GS3 70.6 X 136.6 X 8.6
L920 70.8 X 130.3 X 10.7

Looks to me like the GS3 is taller and L920 is .2 mm wider. Do you realize how much .2 mm is? The 6.3 mm in height makes the GS3 seem huge compared to the L920 its way more noticeable than the 2.1 mm in thickness difference. Now the 920 is heavier but it should be. It has a lot better hardware and sports a better display.

L920 display
4.5 ''
Touch screen technology
Capacitive Multipoint-Touch
Display resolution - Height
1280 pixels
Display resolution - Width
768 pixels
Display features
Polarization filter
Light time-out
Ambient light detector
Brightness control
Corning? Gorilla? Glass
Orientation sensor
Proximity sensor
High Brightness mode
RGB Stripe
Sunlight readability enhancements
Pixel density 332 ppi
Luminance 600 nits
Aspect ratio 15:9
Super sensitive touch
Color boosting
IPS
Refresh rate 60 Hz
Sculpted 2.5D glass
Display colors
16.7 million
Display technology
PureMotion HD+

So with the L920 you trade a better display and a more quality hardware for a little weight on a smaller device.

e24mpwr

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Isn't lumia 920M.. too big?

Nope - no issues here with size or weight. I'm coming from an iPhone 4, and I'm loving the 920. My iPhone seems ancient by comparison. Love the screen. Love Drive+. Love how interconnected Win8 phone is. Love wireless charging.

I'm typing this on my Win8 Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2. It is pretty sweet, too...:evil:

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
A asian girl i know loves the size and she is really tiny, i don't see any problems myself in terms of size and weight compared several times with a GS3 and it is not way bigger or whatever just a bit.

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

sluffmo

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The only reason the size bothers me is the stupid search button that I always hit trying to one hand anything (Right handed). Otherwise it's fine. Then again, I'm 6'4", and my 5'3" wife thought it was unwieldy. To each their own and all that I guess.

BCH

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
My 920 with a Nillkin case is thinner, but otherwise similar in size to my wife's iPhone 4 in a CaseMate case. It also slides more easily into a pocket.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My opinion is that the Lumia 920 (and actually the 8X as well) are too big relative to the size of the display. The current crop of Windows Phones make rather inefficient use of their dimensions. My Titan I is roughly the same size as both of these devices or smaller and has a 4.7" display! The 8X and Lumia are ridiculously bulky relative to other high end offerings on the market as well as the last gen of WPs.

Hopefully, the Ativ S or the high end HTC offering comes out soon.

Not really true though. Look at the hardware specs of the two and you'll see the lumia is about the same size as the Titan, even though the titan has a whopping .2 inches extra screen size. The lumia has twice the storage, twice the specs for almost everything the Titan has and gives up only .2 inches of screen? That is awesome if you ask me.

Last edited:

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine its all a matter of personal taste. My wife has an iPhone and thinks my 920 is too big. My son, on the other hand, just purchased a Galaxy Note 2 and thinks my phone is too small. I feel like Goldilocks, 'cause, for me, my phone is "just right."

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There was a moment last night, when the phone was sandwiched between the two Finnish dwarves and the Maori tribesmen, where I thought, "Wow, I could really spend the rest of my life with this OS."

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is a subjective question with no real answer. Is it to big for the OP; too big to hold; too big to fit into their pocket?

Possibly, and if so he/she should get a phone that better suits their needs. Asking a question about usage that depends upon the physical capabilities of the user or the expectations of the user is a subjective question. It is also based upon ignorance of how such a device is handled in day-to-day use (Not a derogatory reference, we are all ignorant of one issue or another. Ignorance by definition only means we are not educated in that area).

It's better to educate the OP rather than try to answer such an open-ended question. Bottom line OP, if you think it is too big it is too big.

Can a mod please close this thread?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss