Live tiles not updating

one6o4

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So after another day of none of the Live tiles updating manually, and even my bing wallpaper not changing I tried a factory reset. Sadly, my phone now seems bricked and was initially stuck on the 'gears' for over an hour leading me to try the 3 button reset - now I'm stuck on the Nokia splash screen.

It's been this way for over an hour and any attempt to do a reset puts me in the carrier screen loop followed by a constant black nokia screen.

After almost a month of great times this has been a horrible week for my phone.

maximumGPU

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem:
After installing weather flow, my live tiles stopped updating! tried all sorts of stuff to fix it, nothing worked. And then uninstalled Weather Flow, and all back to normal now!
Someone should alert the developer of this issue, as while it's an awesome app, it's certainly not worth living with static tiles.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem:
After installing weather flow, my live tiles stopped updating! tried all sorts of stuff to fix it, nothing worked. And then uninstalled Weather Flow, and all back to normal now!
Someone should alert the developer of this issue, as while it's an awesome app, it's certainly not worth living with static tiles.
No question. WeatherFlow is definitely the cause of this. I had the exact same situation and the remedy was to uninstall Weather Flow.

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Would love to hear from MS on this. I do not have weather flow and this morning after starting my phone after it locked (reboot cycle) I notice now none of my live tiles update. Wpcentral, amazing weather hd, my stocks portfolio, RSS central all of which have been installed for over 2 weeks. Also - if I go to the background task edit setting - I'm able to adjust apps that I should not be able to adjust. I have since rebooted my phone and opened each of these apps. Still - NO updates... Must be a solar flare...

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
All my tiles went dead two days ago. I tried all the know tricks except for hard reset. I can't believe this **** is still happening, I thought the new kernel in WP8 would fix that for good but evidently it isn't the case. Without tiles updating, the Windows Phone homescreen is just a silly collection of icons.

tboggs13

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Since the Portico update, third party tiles only update when I open the apps. I haven't tried reinstalling yet, but I have tried re-pinning and disabling background tasks. Sort of sucks the life out of Windows Phone to have Dead Tiles.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Since the Portico update, third party tiles only update when I open the apps. I haven't tried reinstalling yet, but I have tried re-pinning and disabling background tasks. Sort of sucks the life out of Windows Phone to have Dead Tiles.
If your live tiles stopped refreshing automatically after the Portico update (like mine did), please follow the steps I mentioned here to see if it helps: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...portico-how-get-live-tiles-working-again.html

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
No Portico here and my tiles are still dead.

Same. No Portico and as it happens no weather flow! Lumia 820 been solid for 3 week and now suddenly no live tiles update.. I won't run for the door yet but this is testing me! How long can one remain loyal!? Microsofts main advert for WP is the personalized live tiles, unique to the user. As others are saying what good is a static bunch of icons. With no notification centre either having to go into each app to see if you have updates is beyond ridiculous! Smart phones?? Right now, there is nothing smart about them!

Must be OS. Sort it MS otherwise the users growing our market will wonder what the **** they swapped for.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Tiles not updating means you're not getting notifications pushed to you.

Try a soft reset. Make sure you have a network connection. If you're on wifi, it's possible you can't connect to the notification server(s) thru the wifi connection.

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I have some form of activity going on now! Some tiles like words by post, and wonder reader seem to be updating again. Facebook messages tile on the other hand isn't updating still :( (few days ago was spot on).

Also, of interest I have in settings > background tasks an app called didlr which says "blocked" with a tick for "start when next open". Issue is, I open the app and I guess nothing starts as it still shows as blocked. I seen this before on met weather app too, in the end got rid of that app anyway. Anyone witnessed this? Mean anything?

vane0326

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
The whole Windows Phone 8 OS has a syncing problem. Microsoft needs to address this so 3rd party apps can work properly. If not, these 3rd party apps can cause the phone to reboot, Locked up, and other functions not to work properly, like, Live Tiles, and ect...

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. UK unlocked 920. Was for for a few days and then started randomly crashing / rebooting. Last night when it crashed the time / date was reset to September and live tiles (wpcentral, bbc, battery meter, etc) have all been pretty much dead since then.

This close to going back to the green robot :-(

NXH

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It can't be just the WeatherFlow app that's causing this, becaus I do NOT have the WeatherFlow and I'm having the same issue for the past few days.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If a particular 3rd party app is not refreshing its tile automatically, try doing this:
Uninstall that app,
Clear IE history and cache,
Do a soft reset using the power and vol down buttons,
Reinstall the app.
These steps were suggested to me by the WP support team and they worked for me. I was having the same problem after installing Portico.

anon(361265)

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
If a particular 3rd party app is not refreshing its tile automatically, try doing this:
Uninstall that app,
Clear IE history and cache,
Do a soft reset using the power and vol down buttons,
Reinstall the app.
These steps were suggested to me by the WP support team and they worked for me. I was having the same problem after installing Portico.

Just did this about an hour ago and its working, so far. Saw it from your earlier Post Portico thread. Thanks!

ecb1171

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I had exactly the same issue. I went from having a totally stable Lumia 920 to the exact opposite after the update. The first symptom was that Bluetooth suddenly dropped and would not be enabled until I rebooted the phone. Next, the phone started randomly freezing (requiring a soft reboot). Given the stability I had for a few weeks, I uninstalled every app I installed the day the phone and the freezes seemed to stop. However, every live tile I had stopped refreshing. I went straight to a factory reset because I thought that it may be necessary to have a clean slate after the update. It's been close to a day and everything is running fine. The apps I uninstalled to stop the freezing were The Weather Channel and Yelp, so I don't think they were the problem as I did not read any reviews from other users with similar issues.

I'm a big fan of WP8 but one of the things that swayed me to move from iOS was that I read how fluid and stable WP was . While WP8 is incredibly smooth and fluid, it's proving to be extremely unstable (as compared to iOS) I can live with the fact that a few of the iOS apps I have are not available for WP8 and that the app quality on WP8 is lower than on iOS. However, I've never had an iOS device randomly freeze up on me or even crash and reboot. Also, given the lack of a unified notification system, the live tiles are a necessity rather than just being nice to look at. If I abandon WP8 it will be because it doesn't do what it's supposed to do, not because I've got unrealistic expectations about what it can to.

Also, thanks to the users for the tips on restarting live tiles that stop working.....far easier to do than a factory reset :)

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I just bought MetroTube and Weatherflow today, and neither live tile is working. My other Live Tiles work but not sure whats going on with those two

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb