Live tiles not updating

NXH

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Deleting the history of internet explorer (IE) fixes the issue. I did not have to reboot or do remove the tiles or uninstall and then reinstall any of my apps.

All I did was deleting the history of the IE and every tile is updating now :)

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Was about to say power off or reboot, but maybe this is a new option.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
My live tiles also quit working on my 920. Restarting didn't do anything. Then I went to show off one of the apps that used the camera and it didn't work. I did a soft reset and that fixed the camera issue. Later that evening, the camera didn't work again (Nokia lights or something like that). I did a reset and discovered this morning that the live tiles started working again! Strange. Hopefully they stay working now.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
To understand what's a live tile is , it's a program that runs periodically and has a maximum (1-2 days) lengths then it'll stop updating, Its important for this process for you to open tiles that matters to you so it could restart that timetable and provide you with new updates .

So to sum it up , Open the app for any tile at least once a day and it won't stop updating .

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Happened to me yesterday and lasted until today. What fixed the problem for me was going into background tasks and disabling all live tiles I have active - but selecting to reactivate when reopening the app.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Mine have been very sporadic the last few days. The usual fixes (rebooting, disabling background tasks in setting and reopening app) aren't working. To be honest, I thought this kind of crap was over with. Very disheartening.

SevenDead1ySinz

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
To understand what's a live tile is , it's a program that runs periodically and has a maximum (1-2 days) lengths then it'll stop updating, Its important for this process for you to open tiles that matters to you so it could restart that timetable and provide you with new updates .

So to sum it up , Open the app for any tile at least once a day and it won't stop updating .

Background agents for tiles have a time period of 2 weeks before they will be blocked automatically if the app is not opened up within that time.

For those that are having issues with live tiles, how many background tasks do you have running? For WeatherFlow, they say that if you have more that 6 the live tile will not update correctly. Also tiles can only update in minimal intervals of 30 minutes, this is restricted by the OS, don't expect them to update real time.

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I seem to have most apps working fine bar the pinned Facebook messages (Facebook app). Never shows anything any more! Settings in app fine, tile only notifications and link/security between MS and FB also fine. Any one else use the FB message count?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Weather Flow had a warning that came with it asking for no more than 6 active background agents to be active for the live tile to work. I disabled the extra ones but that didn't do anything. Since installing Weather Flow, I've had none of my Live Tiles populate automatically.

I've never installed Weather Flow, but I recently installed something that brought up the same warning about a limit of six 6 active background agents or tasks. I don't recall which app triggered this, but at some point shortly thereafter most of my live tiles stopped updating (only people hub and its related phone, email and messaging tiles are now updating). I'd love to know what happened to my tiles. And what is the deal with that pop-up warning?

Aniruddh Sharma

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Background agents for tiles have a time period of 2 weeks before they will be blocked automatically if the app is not opened up within that time.

For those that are having issues with live tiles, how many background tasks do you have running? For WeatherFlow, they say that if you have more that 6 the live tile will not update correctly. Also tiles can only update in minimal intervals of 30 minutes, this is restricted by the OS, don't expect them to update real time.

Does that mean my live tiles for sms, whatsaap, emails etc would also update once in 30 minutes even if there is a new msg?

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Does that mean my live tiles for sms, whatsaap, emails etc would also update once in 30 minutes even if there is a new msg?
push notifications for updates are different than background tasks for updates. Push notifications will update tiles as they are received. Background task updates will be limited to 30 minutes. It all depends on the app developer and how they choose to handle notifications.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
ESPN is just some crazy ****. The live tile will update but currently it's stuck at half-time from yesterday's Chicago Bulls game!:(

jjmc2001

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
ESPN is just some crazy ****. The live tile will update but currently it's stuck at half-time from yesterday's Chicago Bulls game!:(

I have the same problem with ESPN. halftime scores will stay there for days. I have uninstalled and re-installed it a couple of times and it still does the same thing. I will move on to a differnt sports app when I can find one.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with ESPN. halftime scores will stay there for days. I have uninstalled and re-installed it a couple of times and it still does the same thing. I will move on to a differnt sports app when I can find one.

Yeah, it's pretty sad that we're not at the point where the live tile functionality is complete. This is one of my favorite's and the Nokia version is no better.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue now too and it happens every so often. I have two live tiles, Amazing Weather and WP Central, neither are updating. I never had an issue on my Titan II or my first 920. Got a replacement 920, and now they tiles are not updating. I don't get it.

On a side note, when my tiles stop updating, my battery life shows a crazy amount left...5 days 2 hours. I just did a soft reset and the WP Central tile shows it is updated. Battery life now shows 1 day 16 hours. So when live tiles are working battery life shows a lot lower.

Last edited:

Cerif27

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I've posted on a couple other threads about this. Something bigger must be going on. This has been really widespread since portico. literally NONE of my live tiles are updating as they are supposed to. Amazing Weather HD, the ME tile, WP Central. Nothing. I have tried everything suggested and nothing has worked yet. Have any of the previous posters that found a solution had a relapse yet? Did your solution work for multiple days without question? Hit us back. There are a lot of people out here that are at a complete loss over, arguably, the most important feature of the phone. Oh great and wise WPC community, hear our prayers! Also, MS....get your poop together!

Edit:
Can anyone confirm that factory reset actually fixes the problem for good? I won't even entertain the option unless it's going to work.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster