Unlocked Rogers Nokia 920 on T-Mobile USA & Tethering

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if Tethering would work without any issues... ie... it not telling you need a compatible plan for it to work like it does on the AT&T version?

Also, does it come in any other color other than Black on Rogers?

thanks!

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about the tethering, but I do know that black is the only color available on Rogers for the time being. I've heard they might be planning to stock yellow variants, but this isn't confirmed and who knows how long it will be before they start offering them.

Here's a source, a wpcentral article.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I know TMo has said they're going to crack down on tethering without paying...so you might just have to pay for a plan with tethering enabled. I'm waiting on my unlocked Rogers 920 to ship from Negri, hopefully that happens soon and I can check.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I know TMo has said they're going to crack down on tethering without paying...so you might just have to pay for a plan with tethering enabled. I'm waiting on my unlocked Rogers 920 to ship from Negri, hopefully that happens soon and I can check.
Last time I heard that T-Mobile won't charge if you don't have tethering plan like AT&T. They might throttle, but most people I know have been using tethering without paying anything. Well right now they have 5 GB with tethering and that still good compare to AT&T.

About the Rogers phone, it will work properly, but still need to manually configure the settings as some people got trouble to get it work. The important is, at this point, you need to trigger the OTA update in order to get correct setting for tethering. This is not really confirmed but some people think that Rogers has been blocked the tethering because of the exclusive, so it might be the cause why it won't work in some case.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know how people got the Internet Sharing feature to work on the Rogers L920 to begin with
I read that they downloaded an alternate language keyboard and it somehow then unlocked an update that opened up internet sharing. Then, they just switched keyboards back :)

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the Tmobile 2GB plan and get good H+ speed. I also installed a Spanish keyboard that supposedly allow tethering. Unfortunately, any mobile client that tries to access my internet sharing on the 920 gets redirected to buy mobile hotspot. And laptops connected to the 920 get "Limited" connection.

PS: Tethering works fine on my old Lumia 710. I'm using a dev phone.

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm about to do the same thing. Did you get an idea of when they would start shipping?

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In regards to the tethering... was just wondering if it was a restriction of the carrier put on the phone... kind of like the at&t version... or if it was open like the factory unlocked international version. Thanks

Last edited:

pdjcrawford

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if Tethering would work without any issues... ie... it not telling you need a compatible plan for it to work like it does on the AT&T version?Also, does it come in any other color other than Black on Rogers?thanks!
There is (at least) one other thread asking this which I would link if I wasn't using my phone to reply, but I have used my unlocked Rogers 920 with a T-Mobile SIM and Internet Sharing works fine for me. No settings to adjust. I have been told that others are not so fortunate though.My phone was one of the small batch of early release phones and these might be different from those that followed with respect to compatibility with other providers. YMMV.

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
In regards to the tethering... was just wondering if it was a restriction of the carrier put on the phone... kind of like the at&t version... or if it was open like the factory unlicked international version. Thanks

I can assure you that tethering does not work on an unlocked Rogers Lumia 920. The only people that have reported working tethering so far are Fido users (fido is owned by Rogers) and TMobile users (don't know why). As for the keyboard trick people are taking about, it works for some people but only for a short time. It worked for me for a few hours then I could never get it working again.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So it almost certainly works on T-Mobile USA then?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
It works, but most people have to do the trick that add another keyboard every single day that they want to use tethering. Some people do not have to do that. It is just weird. Maybe later Rogers will have a software update that remove these restrictions.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have used my unlocked Rogers 920 with a T-Mobile SIM and Internet Sharing works fine for me. No settings to adjust. I have been told that others are not so fortunate though.My phone was one of the small batch of early release phones and these might be different from those that followed with respect to compatibility with other providers. YMMV.

+1

Works for me on T-Mobile and I never had to adjust any setting. I have an "initial batch" Rogers 920.

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
OK great. Hopefully the later batches will also work. Now how about the built in visual voicemail. Will it work on T-Mobile?

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
OK great. Hopefully the later batches will also work. Now how about the built in visual voicemail. Will it work on T-Mobile?

Visual voicemail should work properly. Look like negri has stock and just waiting for the unlock code to get these unlocked, then they can ship to the pre-order first. I hope they can unlock really soon so I can get my phone early before Christmas. Wait freaking long now. :unhappy:

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I emailed their customer service and they said the target date is Dec 11...but I don't get the impression that's an absolute=/
Yeah, as I said, they twitted early that they are waiting for the unlock code. They already have stock in the unit, but until they can get the phone unlocked, they cannot ship it to us. So hopefully by Dec 11, they will be able to do this.

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Funny thing is I was talking to their online chat support yesterday.... and they said the phones are to be delivered to them unlocked... they just open them up to make sure there are no defects before shipment. I figured that didn't sound right.

Think I may place the order tonight with them... just trying to justify the cost... even though it is cheaper then every other vendor online right now...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte