A MUST POLL!!! How is your 920 protected???

infdl

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Haven't found a case that compliments the beauty of the Lumia 920. Until then, I will be extra carefhsbsjej... Dammit, just dropped it LoL

poolprousa

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Nice grab, I'm using the Xtreme Guard screen protector and would highly recommend it.

Ditto...I got the full-wrap for front and back. No noticeable difference in screen sensitivity, plus protection for the sexy red body (that;s right, I posted previously about my white 920...wife stole it, so I got a red one...it's a beauty) Plus the body wrap makes the phone way less "slippery". I don't see a need for anything more (don't want an ugly case covering this thing up)

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up the Speck Candy Shell Grip in white/grey from a local AT&T store.

Speck White/Black CandyShell Grip - Nokia Lumia 920 accessories from AT&T

Here's a quick review :

Covers buttons and provides more even "click". It was starting to bug me that the power button was a bit more flush than the volume buttons. This corrects that "problem".

Covers the sim tray. My tray doesn't fit flush - it "sinks" in a bit. This helps cover that small annoyance. I was getting a bit paranoid that dust and crap was getting into the phone through the sim tray since it isn't flush.

Feels better to hold than the phone bare. Normally I'm a bare phone guy, but the 920 in glossy white is almost TOO sticky. Left crazy fingerprints. I like that the Speck case has "grip" on the back so it won't pick up many finger prints and doesn't quite stick as hard to your skin as the phone by itself.

Minimal bulk. I'm surprised that it didn't really change the feel or weight of the 920 much - you do lose the slickness of the curved screen but its nice soft touch rubber you hit with your finger when swiping instead, which is fine. I'd say this case feels comparable to the CaseMate Pop cases, if you've ever seen those.

Not much lint. Most of these types of cases pick up a ton of lint, but this Speck case doesn't seem to get much. The rubber goes right to the edge of the screen on either side, so no lint can get there - it might only accumulate on the top and bottom of the screen, if anywhere.

Cutouts are PERFECT. Some cases seem to forget the mic at the top - not this one. The cutout is perfect. And, as far as I can tell, the case doesn't effect call quality either.

Dislike :

PRICE PRICE PRICE PRICE PRICE. So, yeah, it's kinda expensive. I never spend more than $20 for a case, if I get one at all, but I never keep a phone longer than 3 months either. I plan on keeping the 920 for at least the 1 year warranty period, so I figured it was worth it to spring for the only case I could find that fit my specific requirements. It's the only case I've seen that looks good with a glossy white phone.

Bridge along bottom of phone is fragile. This was a problem on the CaseMate POP for the Samsung Focus as well, only at the top. Right above the USB port on the 920, there's a TOO thin piece of plastic covered by the rubber frame - that plastic WILL snap. Not if, but when. Its too thin and fragile. Now, Speck offers a one year warranty, and I bet my left nut they'd replace the case within that one year if the plastic broke (and you were outside the return period from a retail store). Still, it needs to be thicker. I don't understand why Speck didn't "surround" the speakers and micro USB with plastic rather than do one large cutout at the bottom. It would've made the bottom stronger. Oh well.

Overall its a great case, but too expensive for the average phone buyer. If you can find it for $25 or less, its probably the best case you can get for the 920 right now that offers some protection but adds minimal bulk.

azasadny

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any protection on my L920 at all because I like to tease the Apple minions I know who have all kinds of plastic boxes on their iPhones to protect them. What's the point of buying a smooth, sexy, well-designed phone and then completely covering it in an ugly plastic contraption. Reminds me of the people who cover their expensive furniture with plastic covers. Crazy...

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any protection on my L920 at all because I like to tease the Apple minions I know who have all kinds of plastic boxes on their iPhones to protect them. What's the point of buying a smooth, sexy, well-designed phone and then completely covering it in an ugly plastic contraption. Reminds me of the people who cover their expensive furniture with plastic covers. Crazy...

I'm not worried about protecting the 920, I bought a case because there were a couple of small gripes I had with my particular 920, including the sim tray not sitting flush and the power button being a bit more recessed than the other buttons. Plus, the grip I'm getting with the case I bought is a bit more comfortable for me than when its naked.

Edit : Also, another bonus - the case helps the heat issue. My 920 gets damn hot when using it for a while, especially at the top, and the case shields my hand. Not a big deal, but its something.

Last edited:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a case on it, and it conflicts with me because the device is so awesome with no case.....but an accidental slip off of my lap and a 2ft fall onto a tile floor right on a corner put a nice dent in the plastic (corner with the sim door so its thinner there) has made me realize I'm too ocd with my phone :( that and a case allows me to just set my phone down anywhere without having to baby it so to not scratch uo the back.

I have the white speck grip case......i wish they made it without the grip....then it would look like I have nothing on it.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the white speck grip case......i wish they made it without the grip....then it would look like I have nothing on it.

I actually like the grips, but wish the black border around the screen was white so it would blend into the phone better. Not a big complaint, but that's the one thing I would change on it.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the grips, but wish the black border around the screen was white so it would blend into the phone better. Not a big complaint, but that's the one thing I would change on it.

yea I just want a case that matches the phone, like the case I saw for the hTC 8x at the Microsoft store looks just like the back of the phone, even the ring around the camera.

Can't wait for the Nokia branded soft case to come out.

namitchouhan

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
so I had my phone naked and now I dropped it a couple of times. is it possible to get the body of the phone replaced even if I have to pay? I don't like dented phones.

rdjward

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Was going naked but phone took a tumble and slide and got a really deep scatch. Added a BSE skin and it's great, covered up the existing scratch and the screen quality seems unaffected in all but the harshest lighting. Also slides well and avoids fingerprints from my experience with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel