Hi all,

Nokia L920 has this build-in app Nokia City Lens which is beneficial to tourist whenthey are traveling overseas as they can just point at a major touristattraction and all the details and surrounding information are displayed.

Correct me if I’m wrong...

We will need data access / Wifi to activate this application?

So when we are traveling to Europe (eg France & Italy) , can we get prepaid SIM Card with Data Plan (eg1-2GB)? Any tele-com company / Pre Paid Tele-cards to recommend?

Also vice versa for international tourists coming to US, (does AT&T, others) offer similar packages?

Cheers!
    12-01-2012 09:09 AM
    I am in France right now and AT&T has no international plan atm for the 920. I was stuck putting a prepaid sim card in my unlocked 4s. Additionally, the GPS will not work without a SIM card in it or have WiFI and since the 920 will not accept the sim card, people who go overseas are f'ed. Get a cheap android phone or something and use the GPS on it. GPS was a lifesaver for me in Paris. Also, don't forget the european adapters for your electronics.

Also, free WiFi at least in France and Frankfurt airport is a myth.
    Last edited by jdhooghe; 12-01-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    12-01-2012 09:41 AM
    12-01-2012 09:48 AM
    I am in France right now and AT&T has no international plan atm for the 920. I was stuck putting a prepaid sim card in my unlocked 4s. Additionally, the GPS will not work without a SIM card in it or have WiFI and since the 920 will not accept the sim card, people who go overseas are f'ed. Get a cheap android phone or something and use the GPS on it. GPS was a lifesaver for me in Paris. Also, don't forget the european adapters for your electronics.

Also, free WiFi at least in France and Frankfurt airport is a myth.
    Hi jdhoodhe,

thanks for your reply, but i am unsure of what you just wrote, can i break it down and please correct my understanding...

1) ie you are on AT&T plan and is currently in France but unable to activate the Nokia City Lens in the streets due to the AT&T issued sim card, cos you are not on international data-roaming plan ?

2) i really dun understand what you meant "920 will not accept sim card" people overseas are f'ed? = cant i get a "pre-paid micro sim card" and put it inside the N920 and use? (ps, i'm using a unlock 920")

3) currently is there any Prepaid Micro Sim Card that has data plan in france?

4) I understand the GPS part, ie you can use offline maps , to get around the city.

5) the pic that you attached, is that inside your hotel room / apartment in france? is that using Wifi ?

thanks and i hope to hear from you soon
    12-01-2012 10:47 AM
    AT&T does not provide international coverage.
    AT&T does not allow you to put another SIM card in your 920. You cannot use it as a phone when you are overseas.
    You can only access GPS if you have WiFi coverage.

Free WiFi coverage in France is non-existent. I went to Paris and there were WiFi networks all over but you cannot connect to them. If you want a GPS and a phone you have to use an unlocked US phone or pay for a phone over here. The common networks in France are SFR and Orange. I'm not sure if they exist in Italy.
    12-01-2012 10:55 AM
    Hi jdhooghe,

thanks again for your reply, maybe i should have stated more clearly in my first post, i'm not using a AT&T sim card, as I'm currently stationed overseas thus I'm using a "unlocked" Nokia 920...
    which will allow me to use foreign sim card ...

so i am more concerned is when I visit Europe and the States using my overseas Nokia 920 (city lens) is whether the local sim card provides limited data plan (eg 1-2 GB) for me to use..
    and which tele-com....

lastly in the pic that you attached in the earlier post, how about did you get your city lens working in your room?
    12-01-2012 11:28 AM