12-04-2012 12:14 AM
63 123
tools
    Pulse (I see it on the market, but it won't install on any of the WP's I've had. Lumia 900, HTC Surround, nor 8X)
    Works on the Lumia 920. Probably a Nokia WP8 exclusive. I seem to recall having it on my Lumia 800 though I can not be sure.

As for Windows 8, all the reviews Ive read have said its a great OS for tablets and touchbased computers, they love the ModernUI for that, but the UI is that good for desktop computers with a traditional monitor.

Personally I use Win8 on my desktop computer. I dont find the experince far removed from Win7, tbh. You launch desktop and thats where you hang.

This is how Id use it on a touchbased laptop as well; desktop mode for when its used as a laptop, and ModernUI when used as a tablet.

Fairly simple and easy. So personally I dont see why theres all the hate. Theres Modern UI for touch, and desktop-app for people who want a Win7-like interface.

But thats just me.

As for Windows Phone 8, there could be 0 more apps coming to WP8, and Id still consider my 920 one of the best phones Ive had.
    This is probably because I never got sucked into the whole app-dependancy. I never got why people needed a facebook app instead of demanding a better browser that runs facebook like you do on your desktop. Like microB. That browser was amazingly awesome. "Its easier to handle". Yeah, 'cause the browser isnt en par with the way you work on your computer.
    Meh Im rambling like an old geezer. What Im saying is that I never got into Instagram and using bank apps etcetera, so personally my app dependancy is quite low. Which seems to be a blessing, since people are raging about apps all the time, and I can safely sit in my blissful ignorance and enjoy the integration of social networks with my Me-tile, contacts and media without losing my mind over Instagram.

Though I of course would like to see WP8 recieve great apps of all the things people want on it, Im just really happy Im not lacking any cruicial app myself.
    joeynox, steeleblue and I Unquello like this.
    12-03-2012 04:20 PM
    I think it will be 3-6 months before we know. WP is such a small segment of the market that there's really no great financial incentive to take resources away from developing and improving iOS/Android apps.
    12-03-2012 04:22 PM
    For most people including me, it's already good enough. But I think the app situation will improve dramatically in the next 6-12 months. WP will have market share of close to 10% and growing fast. App developers can no longer ignore that kind of size, especially since it's closely tied to Windows 8. A few remaining apps like Instagram will probably come in the next 3-6 months. WP is finally taking off at the moment, largely due to Lumia 920. Don't believe all the negativity out there. Trust me on this one: some bloggers and sites have vested interests in seeing MS fail so they peddle anti-MS stories all the time.
    12-03-2012 04:35 PM
    With apple losing market share at the rate it is these app developers will loom to see where the users are. And if the users are WP users they will develop for WP. Don't forget too that Microsoft really wants to integrate the desktop, Xbox, and phone as a seem less experience. So I think we will start to see the indie game devs start to release for Xbox and WP at the same time.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    12-03-2012 04:49 PM
    I think Microsoft is committed to bringing 1st rate apps to their platform, but the market favors iOS and Android. Companies develop for those two platforms first, to reach a greater share of people. Microsoft has to convince those developers to make their app for a third platform that has a small market share at the moment. Committing your developers to three separate ecosystems is a hard challenge and taxing. There is a simple list in my mind that Microsoft needs to look at (it probably is):

1. Developers want : platforms that allow their product to reach max amount of people (good support for it as well)
    2. Software companies : Need to convince developers their platform can reach people/provide good support

Once Microsoft does these two things, we should have those apps people are looking for. Just an opinion.
    12-03-2012 04:58 PM
    As far as I'm concerned whether we like it or not the future of Windows is with apps and they have purposely made it so if you make an app for Windows 8 there's not much to do to get it working on WP8. There's work to be done to get it to be a polished experience that works well but compared to WP7 it's like day and night.
    12-03-2012 05:07 PM
    Windows 8 sales were bad too, and lets be honest it SUCKS
    From where did you source that Win8 desktop sales were bad?

On what do you base your opinion that Win8 sucks?

Totally off-topic, I know, but I'd really like to know if you're putting forth a knee-jerk, gut reaction or if you are actually basing the quote above on anything credible.
    12-03-2012 05:48 PM
    From where did you source that Win8 desktop sales were bad?

On what do you base your opinion that Win8 sucks?

Totally off-topic, I know, but I'd really like to know if you're putting forth a knee-jerk, gut reaction or if you are actually basing the quote above on anything credible.
    Don't bother trying to reason with him/her. See my interaction with that poster on Page 2 of this thread. He's just out to stir up controversy. I don't mind other people's opinion, but at least have some intelligent thoughts so we can have a discussion about it.
    12-03-2012 06:18 PM
    When the Motorola Droid and HTC Droid Eris came out three years ago it was a similar time to Android as WP8 is now. Their market was also so so, and no where near Apples at the time.

I would say Microsoft has a decent foundation currently for apps, and one major key that they have over the others is a large amount of in-house apps and games. I am already surprised to see so many put out by them, and there is sure to be many more.
    12-03-2012 09:33 PM
    Don't bother trying to reason with him/her. See my interaction with that poster on Page 2 of this thread. He's just out to stir up controversy.
    Yeah, yer prolly right. I've been letting this forum get to me lately. Thanks. :)
    12-03-2012 09:50 PM
    So the question is are apps for wp8 require more work then ios and Android?
    Can apps that run on WP7.8 run on wp8?
    Depending on the answers to those questions could help determine if the app situation will improve

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    12-03-2012 10:51 PM
    Regarding the quantity of apps and comparing it to IOS or Android i have to agree with you.
    Microsoft is focusing more on quality over quantity. Majority of apps in IOS and Android are repetitions of another. Microsoft don't want that to happen. That's why our marketplace is going to have less but better apps.
    There is a good deal of this going on in the MS app store also to be fair. How many crappy Facebook apps do we have right now. There are 5 or 6 different apps for the Washington Post, all of which are horrible. Android definitely has this problem, but so does MS, at least to some extent.
    12-03-2012 11:07 PM
    Coming from WP7 (Lumia) to WP8 (Lumia 920) I can already say there is a huge difference. I only had the 900 for two weeks because I felt like there literally were no apps for me to do anything with. Now I have almost everything I could want. So yes, I think the apps are coming. But to see true success, we are going to have to see WP8 sell in large numbers. It's too early to REALLY know what these numbers are so far. But high sales volumes will attract the big devs. Once the big devs adopt the platform, others will be soon to follow.
    12-04-2012 12:14 AM
63 123