Apps...will they really come or are we just kidding ourselves?

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
As someone expecting his first Win phone next week (Lumia 920), I find myself cruising the Windows App store and wondering if, despite the apparent strong sales and enthusiastic response to the L920, are we kidding ourselves into thinking that any real surge in App development for the Win Phone ecosystem is right over the horizon? I want to believe....

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just the observation that the market appears a bit sparse right now. I knew this going in, but confronting it when looking around is a tad different. Heh.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
With the exception of a few keys apps for me (Instagram, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, and perhaps Pandora) I'm not at all concerned with the "lack of support" for the ecosystem. With Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 sharing the same kernel, apps will start to flow in very soon. Then, maybe, this whole "lack of apps" excuse will be gone.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A little of both, I think. We'll never have an Android- or iOS-sized marketplace. However, as Microsoft builds on - and promotes - the platform, we will see more app developers adopting Windows Phone. It remains to be seen if the platform will capture the big-name commercial developers or not, though.

jedwardmiller

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Trust me...you don't want the size of Android or iOS markets. They do have a number of good apps but....Holy Moly are there some useless apps or what!!!

of course all markets will eventually have their share of useless apps. The only thing you​ should care about is if it has the apps you want to use.

sasha055

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually surprised by the lack of apps. After 2 years of wp7 (go go samsung focus) my wife switched to Iphone5 (lumia was too big for her) and even though she hates IOS, we both noticed that Apple app store has waaaay more good games.
My kids have a lot of choices to play on the iphone, and on my lumia games are sparse.. good thing they have N4S in there:)

I really hope that app developers will start writing games for WP8 soon.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Instagram and Flipboard would be huge for me. And no, Fhotoroom doesn't suffice cause no one I know is on it. And I heard Weave being mentioned as a Flipboard alternative. I've tried it and its just nowhere the functionality and aesthetics of Flipboard

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I still see a HUGE lack of apps from the commercial businesses - banks, credit unions, sports (Football, Baseball, Hockey). Two of my credit unions do not have WP apps and none of my sports teams have WP apps. Until WP gets to a critical mass (8-10%) I don't think the businesses are going to put programming resources (especially smaller players like credit unions or smaller regional banks) against WP or even the new BB 10. We can argue until the cows come home about whether these are important to you - I know they are to me and can't consider WP until they have more of these types of apps. I think that MS has left an opening for BB 10 to actually have a prayer to succeed since BB still has more Market share than WP.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I still see a HUGE lack of apps from the commercial businesses - banks, credit unions, sports (Football, Baseball, Hockey). Two of my credit unions do not have WP apps and none of my sports teams have WP apps. Until WP gets to a critical mass (8-10%) I don't think the businesses are going to put programming resources (especially smaller players like credit unions or smaller regional banks) against WP or even the new BB 10. We can argue until the cows come home about whether these are important to you - I know they are to me and can't consider WP until they have more of these types of apps. I think that MS has left an opening for BB 10 to actually have a prayer to succeed since BB still has more Market share than WP.

Agreed Microsoft is just a niche device in the mobile world. They came way too late when everybody is already established and comfortable with either iOS/Android. Microsoft "May" be able to make it... But I don't see BB or Amazon's OS or anybody else being a big player unless they bring something entirely new.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't have a crystal ball. But I don't suspect a "commited" Microsoft would fail. They show all the signs of being serious about 8.

I just have to be patient.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
A little of both, I think. We'll never have an Android- or iOS-sized marketplace. However, as Microsoft builds on - and promotes - the platform, we will see more app developers adopting Windows Phone. It remains to be seen if the platform will capture the big-name commercial developers or not, though.
Regarding the quantity of apps and comparing it to IOS or Android i have to agree with you.
Microsoft is focusing more on quality over quantity. Majority of apps in IOS and Android are repetitions of another. Microsoft don't want that to happen. That's why our marketplace is going to have less but better apps.:wink:

lennyk1313

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Coming from both Apple and Android, as for me, I am between 80-85% set with my apps. There are still some that are missing, but the main ones are there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99