Apps...will they really come or are we just kidding ourselves?

CustomX5

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Read the whole article again, and look at the 10 points made. Look at points 1 and 3. Nothing beats the iPad right now and we already know that. No one expects to produce the next "iPad killer". Read point #4, it starts out with "We're not sure if this happening or not". How about point #6, Office loses relevance? Since when? Google Docs is not an Office replacement.

It's just another article speculating and voicing their opinions. Means nothing, Does Microsoft have work to do? Of course. So does Apple, Google and RIM as well.

Windows 8 sales were bad too, and lets be honest it SUCKS, nobody wants a phone OS on their desktop, developers have spoken out against windows 8 and said they hate it, so what does this leave for windows phone 8? do you think developers are going to invest their time into this or go for a sure bet like android and iOS

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Are you serious? Have you used the Facebook and Twitter app? Have you used Whatsapp or Viber? App quality on Windows Phone is quite frankly, trash at the moment. If there is a multiplatform app that is on iOS, Android and Windows Phone, you can bet your bottom dollar it will be the buggiest on Windows Phone. This I have noticed with a lot of apps, some which I mentioned above.

my friend just switched over from his iPhone 5 to the 8X and before the iP5 he had a Lumia 900. He misses instagtam but said his favorite apps/alternatives are far better looking and smooth then his iPhone. He then told me metrotube, Facebook, and Carbon are "beast".

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Windows 8 sales were bad too, and lets be honest it SUCKS, nobody wants a phone OS on their desktop, developers have spoken out against windows 8 and said they hate it, so what does this leave for windows phone 8? do you think developers are going to invest their time into this or go for a sure bet like android and iOS

To just say Windows 8 sucks is a pretty ignorant statement. I say that because you have no reasons to back that up. And it's purely subjective. Think about what you post, and how you draw those conclusions. If it's by reading articles, then I suggest you start forming your own opinions based on actually using the products you are trashing.

So you just joined, have two posts (as of this post), both bashing Microsoft and their products. Hmmm, wonder what your agenda is here.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just give me an arvest bank app,WalMart,best buy,and Redbox and I'll be good. My 920 refuses to open the mobile redbox site. I have to open the full site and its extremely slow and almost unusable. However, I still love my 920.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

CustomX5

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
To just say Windows 8 sucks is a pretty ignorant statement. I say that because you have no reasons to back that up. And it's purely subjective. Think about what you post, and how you draw those conclusions. If it's by reading articles, then I suggest you start forming your own opinions based on actually using the products you are trashing.

So you just joined, have two posts (as of this post), both bashing Microsoft and their products. Hmmm, wonder what your agenda is here.

First of all NickA, how do you know I didn't use windows 8? or any of the products? I just joined and I'm not allowed to voice my opinion on windows products? that's too bad because I will say whatever I want, sorry to disappoint you.

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I won't waste my time picking apart each of their points, but the article is full of assumptions and garbage conclusions. They take a few valid points and extrapolate them to mean the demise of MS. MS has their problems but this is just click-bait.

BIG +1 -- That article was pretty bogus.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
First of all NickA, how do you know I didn't use windows 8? or any of the products? I just joined and I'm not allowed to voice my opinion on windows products? that's too bad because I will say whatever I want, sorry to disappoint you.

Your opinion is, and I quote "it sucks". Wow, a ton of thought went into that one.

And with that, you're on my ignore list.

sniffs

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Apps you will never see on Windows Phone: Anything from Google.

Someone mentioned they want AA and Tunein. I have both on my 900. Just another example of the cluster**** MS has created with WP8, after telling everyone they would recompile existing apps in the store to run on WP8 without modification.

I don't understand why.. Google has them on iOS and Apple hates Google more than MS does, lol

ju11ce

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Kconvert, which down level OS are you concerned about running in these scenarios? Any chance you could provide some specific key scenarios for how you would utilize client hyper-v on a portable win8 device? Do you run them on demand or have them running full time? Are they for deployment only or would you be actively developing and running workloads from within the VM and not on the host?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Pulse (I see it on the market, but it won't install on any of the WP's I've had. Lumia 900, HTC Surround, nor 8X)

Works on the Lumia 920. Probably a Nokia WP8 exclusive. I seem to recall having it on my Lumia 800 though I can not be sure.

As for Windows 8, all the reviews Ive read have said its a great OS for tablets and touchbased computers, they love the ModernUI for that, but the UI is that good for desktop computers with a traditional monitor.

Personally I use Win8 on my desktop computer. I dont find the experince far removed from Win7, tbh. You launch desktop and thats where you hang.

This is how Id use it on a touchbased laptop as well; desktop mode for when its used as a laptop, and ModernUI when used as a tablet.

Fairly simple and easy. So personally I dont see why theres all the hate. Theres Modern UI for touch, and desktop-app for people who want a Win7-like interface.

But thats just me.

As for Windows Phone 8, there could be 0 more apps coming to WP8, and Id still consider my 920 one of the best phones Ive had.
This is probably because I never got sucked into the whole app-dependancy. I never got why people needed a facebook app instead of demanding a better browser that runs facebook like you do on your desktop. Like microB. That browser was amazingly awesome. "Its easier to handle". Yeah, 'cause the browser isnt en par with the way you work on your computer.
Meh Im rambling like an old geezer. What Im saying is that I never got into Instagram and using bank apps etcetera, so personally my app dependancy is quite low. Which seems to be a blessing, since people are raging about apps all the time, and I can safely sit in my blissful ignorance and enjoy the integration of social networks with my Me-tile, contacts and media without losing my mind over Instagram.

Though I of course would like to see WP8 recieve great apps of all the things people want on it, Im just really happy Im not lacking any cruicial app myself.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
I think it will be 3-6 months before we know. WP is such a small segment of the market that there's really no great financial incentive to take resources away from developing and improving iOS/Android apps.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For most people including me, it's already good enough. But I think the app situation will improve dramatically in the next 6-12 months. WP will have market share of close to 10% and growing fast. App developers can no longer ignore that kind of size, especially since it's closely tied to Windows 8. A few remaining apps like Instagram will probably come in the next 3-6 months. WP is finally taking off at the moment, largely due to Lumia 920. Don't believe all the negativity out there. Trust me on this one: some bloggers and sites have vested interests in seeing MS fail so they peddle anti-MS stories all the time.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
With apple losing market share at the rate it is these app developers will loom to see where the users are. And if the users are WP users they will develop for WP. Don't forget too that Microsoft really wants to integrate the desktop, Xbox, and phone as a seem less experience. So I think we will start to see the indie game devs start to release for Xbox and WP at the same time.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft is committed to bringing 1st rate apps to their platform, but the market favors iOS and Android. Companies develop for those two platforms first, to reach a greater share of people. Microsoft has to convince those developers to make their app for a third platform that has a small market share at the moment. Committing your developers to three separate ecosystems is a hard challenge and taxing. There is a simple list in my mind that Microsoft needs to look at (it probably is):

1. Developers want : platforms that allow their product to reach max amount of people (good support for it as well)
2. Software companies : Need to convince developers their platform can reach people/provide good support

Once Microsoft does these two things, we should have those apps people are looking for. Just an opinion.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned whether we like it or not the future of Windows is with apps and they have purposely made it so if you make an app for Windows 8 there's not much to do to get it working on WP8. There's work to be done to get it to be a polished experience that works well but compared to WP7 it's like day and night.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 sales were bad too, and lets be honest it SUCKS

From where did you source that Win8 desktop sales were bad?

On what do you base your opinion that Win8 sucks?

Totally off-topic, I know, but I'd really like to know if you're putting forth a knee-jerk, gut reaction or if you are actually basing the quote above on anything credible.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
From where did you source that Win8 desktop sales were bad?

On what do you base your opinion that Win8 sucks?

Totally off-topic, I know, but I'd really like to know if you're putting forth a knee-jerk, gut reaction or if you are actually basing the quote above on anything credible.

Don't bother trying to reason with him/her. See my interaction with that poster on Page 2 of this thread. He's just out to stir up controversy. I don't mind other people's opinion, but at least have some intelligent thoughts so we can have a discussion about it.

Arenzael

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When the Motorola Droid and HTC Droid Eris came out three years ago it was a similar time to Android as WP8 is now. Their market was also so so, and no where near Apples at the time.

I would say Microsoft has a decent foundation currently for apps, and one major key that they have over the others is a large amount of in-house apps and games. I am already surprised to see so many put out by them, and there is sure to be many more.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't bother trying to reason with him/her. See my interaction with that poster on Page 2 of this thread. He's just out to stir up controversy.

Yeah, yer prolly right. I've been letting this forum get to me lately. Thanks. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss