Toothpaste to repair scratches on your glass

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think my keys maybe have scratched the screen, I read on a Bing search, toothpaste supposedly makes the scratches go away. Has anyone tried this?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling it will actually cause more damage than good 😉
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Ammar Alhebshi

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know that toothpaste remove scratches on a large scale such as car's headlights. I've tried it actually on my car's headlight and it cleared the vision a bit. Try it on your cell phone it might actually work.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You have to be VERY careful as to which toothpaste you use. You need the ORIGINAL Crest brand that does not have the whitening/glitter/color crap in it. The best bet is the Sample Bin where you get the 99cent tubes. You need to use a Lint Free Cloth and a VERY Small amount at a time until cleared. DO NOT apply with your fingers (oils), dab on cloth, rub in STRAIGHT lines NOT a circle and it'll polish up nicely.

Ron Paul

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
To be honest... And this is very strange... But I had a scratch on my screen and then a few days later it was gone... It was a very surface scratch.. I was amazed.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I know that toothpaste remove scratches on a large scale such as car's headlights. I've tried it actually on my car's headlight and it cleared the vision a bit. Try it on your cell phone it might actually work.

You know what you can use instead of toothpaste for this? Polishing bars. Cheap at your local automotive store and come in several grit ratings.

Don't use it on your phone.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I always thought the toothpaste removed the white coloring of the scratch, not the scratch itself. I know I've used toothpaste and a toothbrush on car window scratches in the past.

DTSDude

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Toothpaste is a very mild abrasive. It's good on most plastics (great for scratched up CDs and DVDs) I'm not sure I'd want to try using it on something this expensive. Make sure you use a very soft polishing cloth if you decide to try it.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if toothpaste (original Crest like mentioned above) will help for the type of glass on this phone, but toothpaste does help remove small scratches on plastics. As mentioned above it is a mild abrasive and can smooth out plastic surfaces when applied properly, and works similarly to a polishing compound.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've used toothpaste before in the past. Looking at the Lumia 920 I just bought - yes, I'm back in the fold - the scratches were not present on the screen. Either I goofed up and my keys rubbed against the screen or the guy accidentally did when he was holding onto the phone in his pocket. (It was cold outside)

With the screen on I don't notice them. I think the one kind of screen protectors from AT&T will cover it up.

electriclamb

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
doesnt work from my own experience. I scratched my screen and since i planned on putting a screen protector on i tried it just for the sake of science. It seems to have rubbed off the oleophobic coating leading to the area not cleaning as easily as the rest of the screen while leaving the scratch. While i dont care because im bound to a screen protector and my scratches and imperfections are hidden if you have a scratch but still dont want to use a screen protector then just leave it alone. Now it just a scratch, with the coating any abrasive will have an effect on it functionality and purpose. If the glass is scratched and not the coating nothing will work anyway without ruining the coat.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
To me the scratches are a sign of use. A sign of love.

While I may baby my devices and keep them prestine and ultimately refuse to buy something that is already scratched up, I won't fault someone for rocking a "loved" device.

/shattered iPhone screens need not apply.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a useless Nokia N9 lying around i'll scratch it and then try this for you :) , (I know it might be a sick joke ) I'll also try it dry and wet (using two different scratches ... :)

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a useless Nokia N9 lying around i'll scratch it and then try this for you :) , (I know it might be a sick joke ) I'll also try it dry and wet (using two different scratches ... :)

I tried toothpaste , Dish washing soup , Car Wax , guess what worked ... nothing ...

Any other homemade recipes you want to test out ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb