Call Quality Problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daking12794

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought this Nokia Lumia 920. It was working fine for a WHILE but recently my girlfriend has been saying that she is having problems hearing me. She explains it as "it sounds like you are talking in to a cup".

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I had this too, in the very first day of my Lumia 920. It happened two times in the same day. My girlfriend said, it was as i was talking like holding my nose, lol.
But it has been over 2 weeks now, and the problem seems to be gone. I have made over 50 phone calls without a problem.

If you are not on 3G, switch it on.

xcvtop

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
hi I'm currently on my 3rd Lumia 920 (which needs to be replaced as well) each of my handsets have had different problems so I think manufacturing problems are causing a lot of these issues that people are having.

My first handset had terrible signal problems where signal would cut of random while i was in a call or even when the phone would ring it would cut off and for the first 10-30 seconds of 50% of my calls the other side could not hear me. Second handset had the flex issue at the top of the phone but the phone was working perfectly then 2 days later when anybody rang and spoke to me even at the lowest volume I would get a loud vibrating sound so that got sent back. Now my 3rd handset is Locking up at times when I use it and even when nothing is running it gets warm at the back of the phone (sometimes really hot) and tbh its warm to the touch 70% of the time so it is going to get replaced on Tuesday.

My advice to you is to speak to whoever you got the phone from and get them to give you a replacement

Just a side note reminds me when the Lumia 800 came out I got mine on day one had problems with 3 of them and as I needed it for work I had to get a galaxy s2 instead and to be fair it hasn't let me down once so far but I really hate android and I'm stuck with it for another 11 months

smyers91

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm also having horrible problems in call. I've had the phone for 8 days now and it's been going on since day 1. Everyone describes it as I'm breaking up, except I have perfect reception and I'm in the city. But it's getting worse now and is to the point that from the moment someone calls me they can't hear anything I say and hang up, and even if I call them back, or they call me back, it remains. So I can't even talk to anyone now and I'm really frustrated. Tomorrow I'm going to at&t because I just can't use a phone that no one can hear me on. :unhappy:

biomenace

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I wanted to post my experience on the forum. I bought a Lumia 920 on December 1st. Everything was fine. I used it for a couple calls and people said they could not understand what I was saying. It was though I was breaking up, distorted, or talking in a tin can. Now, a week in. I have noticed everything is fine when I record sound through video, use apps (e.g. voice recorder), or even use speaker phone. So, the only issue I have been having is my outbound call quality is bad when not using speakerphone ( I assume that involves the primary microphone at the bottom of the device) So, today I decided to diagnose the issue as best I could. I turned off LTE using the ##DATA# menu, with no change. I then dropped it to 3G with no change. Finally, in desperation, I dropped it to 2G with still no improvement in outbound quality. I removed my screen protector, but, again, no luck. However, due to my exasperation, I was leaning forward on my arms while talking to friend, and he said he heard me clear as day. So, I fiddled with the angle of the phone. It appears that if the phone is pointing in towards my mouth, with my cheeks pressing against it, the mic is distorted. But, if the phone is held at an angle such that it is parallel with my mouth, the call quality is fine.

TL;DR Version:
If my phone is angled towards my mouth, outbound call quality is awful. If the phone is held parallel to my mouth, everything is good.

So, with that in mind, can anyone confirm this phenomenon? Fiddle how you hold the phone and see if it increases your outbound call quality. It could be that pressure is moving the primary mics, or something to that effect. I am not an engineer, so I have no clue how this magic box works.

P.S. Other than this issue, the phone is fantastic. It is a solid piece of hardware that is easy on the eyes. WP8, while still developing, is fast and dead simple to use.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I wanted to post my experience on the forum. I bought a Lumia 920 on December 1st. Everything was fine. I used it for a couple calls and people said they could not understand what I was saying. It was though I was breaking up, distorted, or talking in a tin can. Now, a week in. I have noticed everything is fine when I record sound through video, use apps (e.g. voice recorder), or even use speaker phone. So, the only issue I have been having is my outbound call quality is bad when not using speakerphone ( I assume that involves the primary microphone at the bottom of the device) So, today I decided to diagnose the issue as best I could. I turned off LTE using the ##DATA# menu, with no change. I then dropped it to 3G with no change. Finally, in desperation, I dropped it to 2G with still no improvement in outbound quality. I removed my screen protector, but, again, no luck. However, due to my exasperation, I was leaning forward on my arms while talking to friend, and he said he heard me clear as day. So, I fiddled with the angle of the phone. It appears that if the phone is pointing in towards my mouth, with my cheeks pressing against it, the mic is distorted. But, if the phone is held at an angle such that it is parallel with my mouth, the call quality is fine.

TL;DR Version:
If my phone is angled towards my mouth, outbound call quality is awful. If the phone is held parallel to my mouth, everything is good.

So, with that in mind, can anyone confirm this phenomenon? Fiddle how you hold the phone and see if it increases your outbound call quality. It could be that pressure is moving the primary mics, or something to that effect. I am not an engineer, so I have no clue how this magic box works.

P.S. Other than this issue, the phone is fantastic. It is a solid piece of hardware that is easy on the eyes. WP8, while still developing, is fast and dead simple to use.

I found this thread after some people complaining they couldn't hear me very well. Like the previous poster biomenace said, when he moved the phone angle, the call quality would get worse, so this got me thinking and I decided to do some testing of my own, so I called my brother, who also owns a Lumia 920, I spoke a sentence to him holding the phone closer to my mouth and face, he heard it fine, I angled the end of the phone more outward away from my mouth, spoke the sentence and he said he could barely hear me.

I explained to him what I was doing and asked him to do the same, and he got the same results, with the end of the phone closer to his mouth/face I heard him fine, when he moved it away slightly I could barely make out what he was saying. I am surprised that such a small move in distance can cause such a dramatic change in sound quality.

simon13

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thanks for this useful thread! It helped me figure out the problem with my Lumia 920 and by switching to speakerphone, I've been able to still make a few important calls.

I have had exactly the same symptoms with my Lumia 920 which I received on Tuesday, and have just confirmed the same problem on the brand new replacement that I received today (Sunday). Here's a summary, in case it helps anyone else:

a) I'm on the Orange network here in the UK. My handset is LTE enabled but my contract is only on 3G.
b) People I call say that I sound very faint when the phone is held normally. The earpiece also sounds surprisingly quiet during all calls, even on max volume. These issues seem to apply to incoming calls as well. Speaking at an angle that is directly towards the base of the phone (that is, facing the microphone holes and micro USB socket), even with a gap of several centimeters, seems to make the call sound much clearer to the other person.
c) Calls on speaker are clear enough for a sustained conversation. When I called my network's tech support today though, I could hear the background noise from their office cutting in and out, although the assistant's voice was clear whenever she was speaking. Maybe nothing to do with my handset, could be a problem on their end.
d) I don't think this is a software issue, at least it doesn't seem to be affected by the recent WP8 update (the one which added the ability to keep WiFi enabled after locking the screen). My first Lumia 920 shipped with this update but today's replacement arrived without it, and both seem affected by this microphone issue in the same way.

There's one other thing which may not be relevant but it could be useful to compare with other Lumia 920 owners. If you activate the display so it's on normal brightness and then angle the phone so you're almost looking at the display from 180 degrees (more like 165) can you see any of the backlight escaping from the edge of the display? It's probably only noticeable if you look for it. This was more obvious on my first handset, where it affected two or three of the display's edges. On today's replacement it only affects the top edge and a bit of the bottom, where the light from the Windows key is quite strong.

Thanks,

Simon

yetanotherguy

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
From my experience (similar to ones above) I think this is a software issue with the noise cancellation in the device. Don't know if this is baked in or can be corrected by a software upgrade by Nokia but it could be a classic case of much of the voice being treated as noise rather than actual signal and being filtered out or being damped by the noise cancellation. On my previous phone which did not employ multiple microphones to cancel noise, my wife would complain of hardly being able to hear because of random background noise (when in noisy environments), while on my 920 she can hardly hear me if I angle the phone away from my mouth (e.g. when trapping the phone between my ears and shoulder to free my hands for whatever).... would seem like the noise cancellation.... not sure though...

Last edited:

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you do not have a protective case that covers the top noise cancellation mic (very small holes on top to the right of the headphone jack). I thought I had problems with my phone, as callers complained about how bad I sounded until I figured out my TPU case was covering the mic holes. I drilled a whole in my protective case so the mic was no longer covered and I have yet to have anybody complain about my call quality. Before I drilled the hole, I tested my theory a couple of times by removing my phone from the protective cover when people complained about my sound quality, and they said it cleaned it up. I think early case manufacturers did not know the mic holes were there. Heck, I did not see them until somebody posted about them and I looked real close.

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I had exactly the same problem - low quality, distorted voice, tin can effect. And strangely enough it seemed like changing the position of the phone was helping with the quality, however didn't fix it completely. When phone was in perfect vertical position it was the best, in horizontal - the worst. On the other hand, with headphones it completely didn't matter in what position the phone was - the sound was perfect.
Eventually I did a full reset from SETTINGS menu and OMG!! THAT WAS IT!!! It totally works now. It's been four days now and it's still clear sound, as crisp as you would expect. No clue what the problem was caused by. My guess is some sort of compressing sound issue but what do I know? :)

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I stand corrected. My solution worked for a couple of days. And I think it's ridiculous. I've researched the internet and now I'm sure that people all over the world are having the same issues with voice quality. Even after replacing the phone. I'm going to return my phone hoping next one will be fine.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Been having the same mic problem... nobody can understand a word I am saying! Errrgh this is really frustrating! :/

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
A week ago I got my phone back from Nokia repair center or whatever they call it. Long story short - they didn't repair it. In the report they claim they updated firmware!!! What a bull shi*. Funny thing when I sent the phone it had the newest firmware, when I got it back - it was an old one. It is very ridiculous. I described the problem precisely and they update the firmware (without even updating). I'm going to send it there again. I'm being really pissed at them right now. From initial excitement I felt for Nokia after buying the phone I feel cheated and not sure if I ever buy Nokia again

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my Lumia 920 on Jan 11, 2013. When it was brand new the call quality was excellent (the speaker sound was always low). Within a month or so I heard complain from people that they can't hear my voice clearly. I discovered that the case was the culprit. I dumped it and the quality was back to best. Recently i've experienced that there is some drop in quality after firmware upgrade to 1308, although its still good. But I am not sure if its firmware or I have to give my device for servicing. Dust must be one reason

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue and I'm on 920 #4. Nokias quality control was very poor this Gen. Im so pissed about all the issue dive had since purchasing my first L920.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Just so you can feel a little better, other ppl with different WP devices have had the same problem... So, it may be a software issue (not sure, but possibly). Also, does anybody with this issue use a case? Some cases are also causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12