Help! Car charger just can't keep up with navigation on.

Tetegra

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am a guy who uses mobile phone as the main navigation device. I've found a pretty depressing fact that no matter what kind of car charger I use, it just can't keep up when the Nokia drive beta+ is working. I've got a 2.1 amp usb charger from amazon, which the rating and reviews are pretty positive. Tried it during a 40min trip with nokia drive beta+ on. The battery level fall from 44% to 32%. During the way back, I disabled the navigation and everything. The battery only charged 12% during the 40min drive. I've tried several car chargers with different output, such as 1amp and 2.1amp etc. Neither of them could charge the phone efficiently. Once I thought there might be problems with the 12v power outlet on my car. So I tried to plugin my wife's iPhone, open the Navigon app and music player at the same time. The phone just recharged it self from 90% to 100% even with navigation and music player working after 40 minutes! I don't know if it's my own problem or the Lumia 920 needs much more power than regular cell phone to keep the phone recharging while using navigation& music player.

Any input will be helpful. If you know a charger actually works very well with navigation and music player turn on, please don't hesitate to list the brand and mode.

Update: After modifying the micro usb cable by following forum member unleaded91's post at #19 , I finally got the charger to charge the phone with navigation, bluetooth and music players working at the same time. People who has a spare micro usb cable should give it a try, the modification is pretty easy. Don't try this with your stock cable , because the modified cable is for charging only, it could not transfer data anymore.

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Over at TreoCentral, when Palm phones were being made, we had a list of wall and car charger that worked and didn't work. It was a pretty big list. I think my Treo Pro need 500mA and there were chargers rated at 1amp that wouldn't work. I think it's the car charger. Doesn't Nokia have one out for the 920 to try?

monsterlab1

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue. My 920 charges extremely slowly when using the car charger, and it actually loses juice while plugged in with Nokia Drive running.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue. My 920 charges extremely slowly when using the car charger, and it actually loses juice while plugged in with Nokia Drive running.

If you turn Nokia drive on at home and plug it into your wall charger or wireless base, does it charge?

Tetegra

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The charger that came out of box says that it is rated at 1.3A.
Yeah, I've noticed that. I've tried two of the best rated 2.1 amp USB charger on amazon, none of them could keep up with the navigation turns on. Not to mention the 1 amp one I got from my local WalMart.

usstuscon12

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the supplied Nokia USB cable? I noticed on my 900 and 920 that when using the Nokia USB cable it is able to carry more current than a generic USB cable. This was also confirmed on the 900 diagnostics using the same Nokia power brick but different USB cable vs. the Nokia USB cable. Using the Nokia USB cable it was able to reach 800ma but using the generic cable it only carried 400-500ma.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Over at TreoCentral, when Palm phones were being made, we had a list of wall and car charger that worked and didn't work. It was a pretty big list. I think my Treo Pro need 500mA and there were chargers rated at 1amp that wouldn't work. I think it's the car charger. Doesn't Nokia have one out for the 920 to try?
I checked Nokia's site, and I don't see any car chargers for the 920.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem. Battery was getting low when I was out on a job. Time to leave plugged it in, started up Navigation. Charger had very hard time keeping up. I've never had this happen on another phone before.

I also notice as I lay here now. Just using the phone on these forums, started charging a half hour ago while surfing and reading the forums most the time. Charging percentage has gone up maybe 2%. That's just sad.

Is it the battery, chargers, phone hardware? Has to be phone battery or the hardware and I hope they get this worked out soon, IF they are even looking into it at all.

Tetegra

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the supplied Nokia USB cable? I noticed on my 900 and 920 that when using the Nokia USB cable it is able to carry more current than a generic USB cable. This was also confirmed on the 900 diagnostics using the same Nokia power brick but different USB cable vs. the Nokia USB cable. Using the Nokia USB cable it was able to reach 800ma but using the generic cable it only carried 400-500ma.
Yes I use the stock USB cable came from the box. Don't know where went wrong : (

Last edited:

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The OEM cable almost always works best. Also, a power inverter should carry more juice than a simple USB charger for the car.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The OEM cable almost always works best. Also, a power inverter should carry more juice than a simple USB charger for the car.

Agree on OEM cable but as far as power inverter... ..its a smart phone. We shouldn't have to use that. There are some serious hardware or battery issues with these phones

iHeartInfoTech

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This got me worried. Thought I'd just quickly test out standard USB in USB 2.0 port on work PC with Drive+ running. Happy to report battery is not losing charge EDIT: Battery is successfully charging). I have the Scosche 2.1 amp USB charger from the AT&T website (compatible accessories) back-ordered from Amazon and will test and report findings using the iFrogz UniqueSync USB cable also from AT&T website (compatible accessories) as soon as I have all the equipment.

unleaded91

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Even if you use a 2.1amp car charger, the phone will only use upto 500mA because the phone knows that it is plugged in a usb port and not through the wall charger.

You will need to trick the phone that it is plugged in to a wall charger so that it will pull the maximum current to charge quickly/rapidly.

If you want to take advantage of the 2.1a car charger you need to use a usb cable that is made for charging or you can do what I did and modified a typical USB 2.0 cable.

Follow these steps to make your own USB charging cable:
1) Obtain a micro USB 2.0 cable
2) Cut about 2 inches long of the rubber sleeve of the usb cable to expose red,black,green,white wires (you will have to cut through the shielding too if your usb cable has it to expose the wires)
Note: you can cut at any part of the USB cable.( I chose to cut in the middle)
3) Now that all four wires are exposed, cut the green and white wires
4) connect the green and white wires that is attached to the micro usb end of the usb cable together.. You should end up with a white and green wire connected together on the micro USB end of the cable
5) use shrink tubing or electrical tape to make sure none of the copper wires are exposed or touching each other
6) use electrical tape to close the cut or opening you made on the usb cable and make it look nice
7) test and enjoy your new usb charging cable!!

I just used my modified cable two days ago to charge my lumia 920 in my car while plugged into my 2.1a usb car charger and using nokia drive for about half an hour.
I started with 30% of battery and when I got to my destination, my battery was 57% percent. Yes, I was using the navigation and streaming nokia music at the same time while charging.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Tetegra

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Even if you use a 2.1amp car charger, the phone will only use upto 500mA because the phone knows that it is plugged in a usb port and not through the wall charger.

You will need to trick the phone that it is plugged in to a wall charger so that it will pull the maximum current to charge quickly/rapidly.

If you want to take advantage of the 2.1a car charger you need to use a usb cable that is made for charging or you can do what I did and modified a typical USB 2.0 cable.

Follow these steps to make your own USB charging cable:
1) Obtain a micro USB 2.0 cable
2) Cut about 2 inches long of the rubber sleeve of the usb cable to expose red,black,green,white wires (you will have to cut through the shielding too if your usb cable has it to expose the wires)
Note: you can cut at any part of the USB cable.( I chose to cut in the middle)
3) Now that all four wires are exposed, cut the green and white wires
4) connect the green and white wires that is attached to the micro usb end of the usb cable
5) use shrink tubing or electrical tape to make sure none of the copper wires are exposed or touching each other
6) use electrical tape to close the cut or opening you made on the usb cable and make it look nice
7) test and enjoy your new usb charging cable!!

I just used my modified cable two days ago to charge my lumia 920 in my car while plugged into my 2.1a usb car charger and using nokia drive for about half an hour.
I started with 30% of battery and when I got to my destination, my battery was 57% percent. Yes, I was using the navigation and streaming nokia music at the same time while charging.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the input. Will definitely give it a try.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte