Help! Car charger just can't keep up with navigation on.

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Why don't they sell USB cables already like that. If they don't already, you my friend need to start mass producing!

unleaded91

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Lost me on step 4, reads like your attaching this "USB 2.0 cable" to itself.

what I meant is that you connect the white and green wires together after cutting it. At the end you should have a white and green wire connected to each other on the micro USB end of the cable..

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a 1.3a multiport usb charger from walmart in my car, and it does fine keeping it charged with either Nokia drive or Navigon running. It charges a hair slower due to the use, but it still charges.

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Any chance we can buy one of these cables? I'm in this same situation, I will be using my phone for Navigation while driving so I need to be able to charge it. I guess I can hack up one of my cables but it would be nice to just buy one.

unleaded91

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Any chance we can buy one of these cables? I'm in this same situation, I will be using my phone for Navigation while driving so I need to be able to charge it. I guess I can hack up one of my cables but it would be nice to just buy one.

I can sell you one if you like. How long of usb cable do you need?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So here is the million dollar question... is it possible to find the equivalent of said modified cable in an factory equivalent? I don't care about data, just charging. I am going to try this, I am just not too keen on the look of electrical tape or shrink tubing on the cable...

Tetegra

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So here is the million dollar question... is it possible to find the equivalent of said modified cable in an factory equivalent? I don't care about data, just charging. I am going to try this, I am just not too keen on the look of electrical tape or shrink tubing on the cable...
You should be able to find some "charging only" micro USB cable on the internet. They should be the same as the "modified" cable mentioned above.

Gadgetman110

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I use to have this same problem with my old Android EVO 4G phone. But I have never had an issue with the Nokia. I use it on my Harley all the time with GPS and Bluetooth and Music streaming. Got it plugged into a cigarette lighter hooked to my battery with a 2.1 amp USB insert. Haven't lost any charge at all.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Charge only USB cables are thinner and cost less. AT&T has them. Charge only are typically around $6-7 retail, and charge/sync (using all 4 wires) retail at around $10-12. Wish they would make them easier to identify. Any USB charger, car charger with cable built-in, or AC charger will come with a charge only cable. It's cheaper for them to sell that way. Use the cable that came with your phone for PC syncing. Everything else only needs a charging cable.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

iHeartInfoTech

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Found out I already had a TuneLink 2.1 Amp Charger. Received my iFrogz USB cable today (in yellow to match my phone of course). Just did a quick test with GPS and testing the units ability to charge. With GPS working and a Podcast playing simultaneously the unit charged rapidly from 93 to 100% and maintained the charge at 100% during the duration of the drive (albeit short drive to the strip mall and back home). I canceled the Scosche adapter before it shipped from Amazon, no sense having two 2.1 Amp car adapters.

The iFrogz cable was clearly listed as USB 2.0 but did indicate it was for both data and charging. There was no amperage rating so I can't be sure if the cable has anything to do with it. I can add that my old USB cable I had in the car did not fit snugly into the Lumia 920 but the iFrogz correctly.

I'm expecting a car dock tomorrow so I'll try to see if I can find any differences in charging rates from one or two other USB cables I have laying around.
More to come.

BTW this is the car dock I decided on: Mountek nGroove Universal CD Slot Mount Was going to go for a far more expensive solution but I'm hopeful my McGuyvered solution will suffice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss