01-21-2013 08:45 AM
67 123
tools
    Got to admit its not really impressing me coming from an iPhone 5.
    12-05-2012 12:29 AM
    Got to admit its not really impressing me coming from an iPhone 5.
    In daylight, the iPhone 5 holds its own against some proper camera phones from the past... like the Sammy pixon 12, SE Satio, and even the Nokia N8.. So if you are looking at your photographs at 100%, there are very few phones that would outperform the iPhone 5 when the sun is out.

Now.. once it goes down, the iPhone 5 sucks.. I've tested mine in all sorts of conditions and the N8 and the 808 are far superior. Not to mention that the flash on the iphone is complete rubbish.. I have to take 3-4 photos for one to come out with acceptable quality.

GSMarena did a good job here:

I don't know why they didn't shoot the 808 in night mode, but I am pretty sure that it will produce the best results with proper settings.

12-05-2012 02:00 AM
    Catnoir what was Your previous phone?
    I've the same disappointment from camera, but after research I have concluded it because I get use to N8 quality (especially close ups - NOT MACRO.......), by comparing to other "current" phones L920 have very good camera....

This is not a DSLR.

Other than an 808, what phone has a better camera?
    N8 :D
    YES two years old phone !!!!!

After first news regarding next lumia having PureView I was dreaming (still dream) of device with capabilities of 808 and WP8 (not necessary 41MP)
    12-05-2012 03:24 AM
    same in daylight. sure it has nice nighttime and great video. but if you think daytime photography on this thing is awesome, you just haven't used any high end phone released in the last 3 years. hopefully it is indeed just a quick fix.

Edit: I exaggerate a looooot. Maybe 2 years?
    Well, lets put this way. For someone who knows nothing about photography (that would be me) to take a high end phone (lets say the Galaxy S3 and the Lumia 920) and just pick it up and shoot a picture, I'm definitely saying the Lumia 920 is far better. Now if you're good at using these cameras, maybe that isn't entirely accurate, but for my money, I choose the Lumia. I would say it's at least as good as the Blackberry Bold line which I think also took some great pics even with lower res cameras.
    12-05-2012 07:39 AM
    the pictures on the 920 come out a little soft and less saturated compared to an iphone 5 or another similar cell phone camera and that's probably due to post-processing algorithms which can be fixed through an update. i actually like the less saturation. being able to change photo settings such as the iso, white balance, exposure, etc on the main camera app rather than fumbling around on another app on an iphone is a huge plus for me!

http://sdrv.ms/THRAuk

I took this pic on both my iphone 4S (no sample pic) and the 920. While both devices handled the subject with no issue, i was able to grab more depth of field with the 920 which were the tree on the left side and a faint tree on the very end of the right side from a distance. My iphone couldn't even show those two items i mentioned. So i'm impressed with the potential this camera can do with just a few algorithm tweaks from Nokia i hope in the near future.
    12-05-2012 09:59 AM
    In those test shots I'd say the iPhone is over sharpening a tad bit. I wouldn't expect the Pureview 808 performance, that's a camera with a phone in it.

Hardware wise I think the 920 should do better than the iPhone if/when the firmware gets fixed. I think it could hit that sharpness without it being over sharpened in firmware.
    12-05-2012 10:00 AM
    I've had the N8, it's also an excellent shooter, and the MIC is great too! BUT, it's low light capabilities are not as great. (in my opinion)
    12-05-2012 11:21 AM
    In those test shots I'd say the iPhone is over sharpening a tad bit.
    On the contrary, I would say the Lumia 920 is over blurring a bit much.
    12-05-2012 01:02 PM
    My major gripe is when you email a pic from the phone it auto resizes it much smaller and there is NO option to send full size like the iphone does.

And i just compared my 920 vs my buddies new S3.. the 920 pic was like a DSLR to a kodak.. 920 won easily
    12-05-2012 01:24 PM
    On the contrary, I would say the Lumia 920 is over blurring a bit much.
    I think if I were post processing the image I'd rather start with a more natural shot and then perform some manual sharpening. It has the appearance of slight over sharpening. Compare it to the 808 shot which has a natural softness but is super sharp at the same time. The iPhone sharpness is post process sharpening. But it is a camera phone shot. Who wants to bother importing camera phone shots into Photoshop?

Another thing the 920 shot exhibits in the above example is some jpeg artifacts. It's getting over softened and then getting the jaggies from jpeg compression.
    12-05-2012 04:43 PM
    My major gripe is when you email a pic from the phone it auto resizes it much smaller and there is NO option to send full size like the iphone does.
    This really bugs me, too.
    12-05-2012 10:09 PM
    the pictures on the 920 come out a little soft and less saturated compared to an iphone 5 or another similar cell phone camera and that's probably due to post-processing algorithms which can be fixed through an update. i actually like the less saturation. being able to change photo settings such as the iso, white balance, exposure, etc on the main camera app rather than fumbling around on another app on an iphone is a huge plus for me!

http://sdrv.ms/THRAuk

I took this pic on both my iphone 4S (no sample pic) and the 920. While both devices handled the subject with no issue, i was able to grab more depth of field with the 920 which were the tree on the left side and a faint tree on the very end of the right side from a distance. My iphone couldn't even show those two items i mentioned. So i'm impressed with the potential this camera can do with just a few algorithm tweaks from Nokia i hope in the near future.
    This sir is a awesome photo!
    12-05-2012 10:53 PM
    3. Skydrive images usually appear ever so slightly less sharp than if you download the same images to PC and view them using Windows Photo Viewer or something similar. It's been like this all along. Maybe they downrez them to save bandwidth?

5. Don't press down the shutter button in one motion. Always use the half-press or tap-screen method to get AF to lock.
    What?
    They downgrade the pics as they get uploaded?
    this is true?

I learned to do that shutter buttom midway properly yesterday :D

https://g0duag.bay.livefilestore.com...012.jpg?psid=1

Favorite pic of my headphones I took
    01-21-2013 07:50 AM
    What?
    They downgrade the pics as they get uploaded?
    this is true?

I learned to do that shutter buttom midway properly yesterday :D
    You can make the Skydrive uploads be the full image, not a compressed image. It's in the settings.
    01-21-2013 07:54 AM
    These could be a little crisper but they are not terrible.

I find my photos are a bit hit or miss with the 920. It's taken some AMAZING photos so I know the potential is there but it needs to be more consistent.
    01-21-2013 07:58 AM
    When you view the photos in the resolutions they were taking in, fullscreen if you like, they always tend to be a little fuzzy. If you change the resolution to a bit smaller, they look more smooth. It's like that with every phone. The only phone so far that can take pictures that look awesome in full size is 808. :)
    01-21-2013 08:36 AM
    You can make the Skydrive uploads be the full image, not a compressed image. It's in the settings.
    well yeah I knew that.
    The way it was worded in the other posted, it seemed like he said if you downloaded from skydrive, your photos lose some sharpness than transferring your photos from the phone

got me confused and wanted to ask if this was true since I never transferred photos from my phone but use skydrive for my photos. Yeah i upload them on their original size
    01-21-2013 08:45 AM
67 123