I want to love my 920...but I am just not that satisfied with its camera. Anyone else?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I would say that anybody who understands the basic tenets of photography knows what they are getting into. However, the masses who don't probably have some unrealistic expectations. This thread was built around images, which, while technically weren't that spectacular, still looked pretty darn good coming from a cell phone. Even with version 1 firmware.

Pulling shadows up on such a small sensor is going to be problematic at best. You are correct, the ability to turn off HDR will help.

You know what bothers me? The naming system. The fact that this model is "920", and not "1000" tells me that the phone we all *really* want is the next generation version. I have this sneaking suspicion that a Numia 1000 is just around the corner, with the real Pureview camera and a smoothed out and mature WP8 system behind it. I know, I know, you can always wait for the next, better model, but I'm still convinced that the next model in *this* case is going to be the one worth waiting for.

In order for that to happen Nokia needs this model to be a big hit.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe my BB Storm 9550 took much better pictures.

oqfjS.gif

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
it's one thing to say the 920's camera might not be top-notch on the phone market but not satisfied?

it takes more than satisfying pictures if you ask me. for a cell phone...

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I for one have had MANY phones (Android, iOS and Blackberry), many of them top of the line and I can tell you that this Lumia has one of the best cameras around. The settings are a little lacking compared to others but nothing that future software updates can't handle but other than that, I was totally amazed by the pictures. It was one of the first things that made me sit up and take notice.

Emcee

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Also, keep in mind what you are focusing on. Images not in the focal plane will blur. You have to be especially careful when tapping the screen to capture as it will focus on what you tap.

I did not know that, I have been just tapping the screen arbitrarily.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
People need to stop sugar coating the fact that the camera isn't as good in day light as the iPhone and that's what we want. At night its great but due to the sharpness issue the phone is handicapped

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Agreed with the poor performance of the camera. It competes for the worse feature with the lack of sound profiles.
These are two features where BB is far superior.

bull2760

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I've owned ever version of the iPhone accept for the iPhone 5 and without question this camera blows the iPhone 4s away. The optical image stabilization is awesome. I've taken pics of my kids running that are nice and clear. Could never get that with my 4s. There isn't one person that I know even with a high end dslr camera, that doesn't make adjustments after they shoot in light room. Your smoking crack if u think a iPhone 5 doesn't need correcting after the fact.

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
i find the AF is a fail and all pictures come out blurry. hope nokia fixes this asap

same in daylight. sure it has nice nighttime and great video. but if you think daytime photography on this thing is awesome, you just haven't used any high end phone released in the last 3 years. hopefully it is indeed just a quick fix.

Edit: I exaggerate a looooot. Maybe 2 years?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Got to admit its not really impressing me coming from an iPhone 5.

In daylight, the iPhone 5 holds its own against some proper camera phones from the past... like the Sammy pixon 12, SE Satio, and even the Nokia N8.. So if you are looking at your photographs at 100%, there are very few phones that would outperform the iPhone 5 when the sun is out.

Now.. once it goes down, the iPhone 5 sucks.. I've tested mine in all sorts of conditions and the N8 and the 808 are far superior. Not to mention that the flash on the iphone is complete rubbish.. I have to take 3-4 photos for one to come out with acceptable quality.

GSMarena did a good job here:

gsmarena_002.jpg

I don't know why they didn't shoot the 808 in night mode, but I am pretty sure that it will produce the best results with proper settings.

gsmarena_003.jpg

inocane

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Catnoir what was Your previous phone?
I've the same disappointment from camera, but after research I have concluded it because I get use to N8 quality (especially close ups - NOT MACRO.......), by comparing to other "current" phones L920 have very good camera....

This is not a DSLR.

Other than an 808, what phone has a better camera?

N8 :D
YES two years old phone !!!!!

After first news regarding next lumia having PureView I was dreaming (still dream) of device with capabilities of 808 and WP8 (not necessary 41MP)

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
same in daylight. sure it has nice nighttime and great video. but if you think daytime photography on this thing is awesome, you just haven't used any high end phone released in the last 3 years. hopefully it is indeed just a quick fix.

Edit: I exaggerate a looooot. Maybe 2 years?

Well, lets put this way. For someone who knows nothing about photography (that would be me) to take a high end phone (lets say the Galaxy S3 and the Lumia 920) and just pick it up and shoot a picture, I'm definitely saying the Lumia 920 is far better. Now if you're good at using these cameras, maybe that isn't entirely accurate, but for my money, I choose the Lumia. I would say it's at least as good as the Blackberry Bold line which I think also took some great pics even with lower res cameras.

itsarchie

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
the pictures on the 920 come out a little soft and less saturated compared to an iphone 5 or another similar cell phone camera and that's probably due to post-processing algorithms which can be fixed through an update. i actually like the less saturation. being able to change photo settings such as the iso, white balance, exposure, etc on the main camera app rather than fumbling around on another app on an iphone is a huge plus for me!

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

I took this pic on both my iphone 4S (no sample pic) and the 920. While both devices handled the subject with no issue, i was able to grab more depth of field with the 920 which were the tree on the left side and a faint tree on the very end of the right side from a distance. My iphone couldn't even show those two items i mentioned. So i'm impressed with the potential this camera can do with just a few algorithm tweaks from Nokia i hope in the near future.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
In those test shots I'd say the iPhone is over sharpening a tad bit. I wouldn't expect the Pureview 808 performance, that's a camera with a phone in it.

Hardware wise I think the 920 should do better than the iPhone if/when the firmware gets fixed. I think it could hit that sharpness without it being over sharpened in firmware.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I've had the N8, it's also an excellent shooter, and the MIC is great too! BUT, it's low light capabilities are not as great. :wink: (in my opinion)

john08135i

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My major gripe is when you email a pic from the phone it auto resizes it much smaller and there is NO option to send full size like the iphone does.

And i just compared my 920 vs my buddies new S3.. the 920 pic was like a DSLR to a kodak.. 920 won easily

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
On the contrary, I would say the Lumia 920 is over blurring a bit much.

I think if I were post processing the image I'd rather start with a more natural shot and then perform some manual sharpening. It has the appearance of slight over sharpening. Compare it to the 808 shot which has a natural softness but is super sharp at the same time. The iPhone sharpness is post process sharpening. But it is a camera phone shot. Who wants to bother importing camera phone shots into Photoshop?

Another thing the 920 shot exhibits in the above example is some jpeg artifacts. It's getting over softened and then getting the jaggies from jpeg compression.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb