Wireless charging plate does not stop charging after battery full

Ekin Koc

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine's been sitting on wireless chargers all the time (I have one on my bed stand, my phone stays on it all night. And one on my desk, well, it stays on it when I'm working). When it gets full, the light goes off, sometimes goes back on for a couple of seconds. If I pick it up and check something any lay back, light goes on and stays that way for 5-10 minutes. In any case, phone does not heat up around full charge, only when it's charging from lower percentages.

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Had my Lumia 920 on the wireless charger overnight. The light never went off. I checked the phone and the battery was showing as full with the plug icon over it which show that the phone thinks it is fully charged. I then pulled the phone off the charger and put it back on and I did get the long blink that the manual says will happen when the phone has a full charge, but the light stayed on. I wonder if Nokia changed something in one of their Extras+Info updates. It seems to be working fine, but the light just never goes out.

contributorM

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Charging doesn't stop when you have the phone plugged into an ac outlet. That sounds like a firmware thing. Not many devices are programmed to switch to the battery or turn off once they have reached a full charge.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine that it is on your phone to stop the charging. The charging circuit in the phone should stop the flow of current when the battery is charged on the plate just like it should when your phone is plugged in. Lithium-ion batteries do have a disadvantage in the fact that they can catch fire if they are overcharged. Several companies/products have made the news for this in recent years.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Update: charged all night on the plate and it was fine I'll keep an eye on it. I wonder if there was something in the last update Nokia sent out that changed this. I noticed it the battery saver screen initially there was no line predicting how long the batter would last like on WP7.5. After nokia's last update this was back. That is also about the time my phone started acting funky. So fat after soft reset all is good on both the charging plate and stand. Anyone else notice this?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So... are we certain the light is SUPPOSED to go off? I am not sure, which is why I ask, but I wouldn't think that the presence of the light necessarily means it doesn't stop charging.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Normal charging, light goes off when battery is full.
Nokia Wireless Charging Plate. User Guide - Charge your device - Nokia - USA

Long blink when battery is already full when you put it on the charger.
Nokia Wireless Charging Plate. Troubleshooting - What do the different lights on my wireless charger mean? - Nokia - USA

Fast blink indicates charging problem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this.

So then here is the next question... if the light doesn't turn off is this a fault with the handset or is it a fault with the charger?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this.

So then here is the next question... if the light doesn't turn off is this a fault with the handset or is it a fault with the charger?

I came up with a theory yesterday...hmmmmmm. I think it is the fault of the phone software.

I think the light on my charger wouldn't go out because of a certain App I was running (I do not know which one however)... Put the phone on the charger yesterday, and eventually (after ~3 hrs) it was fully charged and the light slow blinked for a while, maybe 5 minutes that I notice.. But eventually the slow blink would stop and it became a full light again.

Anyway, over night, I took the phone back off the charger and just had it sitting by itself. Well, it died in the 7 hours I was sleeping. COMPLETELY died, down to the "Red Battery of Death" died.

So, my theory...I was not getting the light blink because some app was running in the background and eating up power like NOBODY'S business. It was basically eating it nearly as fast as it could charge it...so the phone wasn't staying at 100% very long and it would need to top up again. No idea what was running that killed it that fast...maybe Skype that I had opened up the day before? The phone has been on the wired charger at work for the last 2 hours, nearly charged up.

knp

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My phone does't power on at all :'( I tried turning it off but it is dead.. any suggestions as to what can I do here?? I tried calling my number to see if I get calls but no.. nothing.. it is not working.. :(

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yea i think we can conclude it's either the software's fault or my phone is defective (which i think it is it has like every single problem listed LOL) because i just changed to a different charging plate and even if the battery's at 100% the white light still stay always lit

OldSkoolVWLover

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm another user that just got their charging plate and the light goes off as it should. I wonder if maybe the early batches had an issue possibly.

marveldave

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm another user that just got their charging plate and the light goes off as it should. I wonder if maybe the early batches had an issue possibly.

My replacement phone is having this issue where the light on the plate stay lit even when the battery is 100% already, my original phone didn't have this problem. You're right, could be hardware issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss