My Lumia 920 made me late for work!

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, my 920 made me late for work! How you ask? Well, I left it on the charging plate last night before I went to bed and sometime during the night it shut itself off and never came back on. When I finally woke up I realized my alarm had not went off. Checked my phone and it was off and would not come back on until I held down the power+volume down button. This has me really worried. I can deal with slightly blurry pics, and an occasional restart, but to completely just die in the middle of the night rendering my alarm clock useless is not good. Now I'm afraid to leave it on the charging plate at night! :eck:

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There is a reason that $10 alarm clock makers are still in business.

My alarm clock I have had for 30 years has never failed me where as complicated gadgets can and will at a much higher rate.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
There is a reason that $10 alarm clock makers are still in business.

My alarm clock I have had for 30 years has never failed me where as complicated gadgets can and will at a much higher rate.
I've NEVER relied on a cell phone to wake me up. Not once. I use a $10 alarm clock with a big display. Has a battery backup in case power goes out. As simple as can be.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I too was 15 minutes late for work today. Only because when I got to the parking lot at work, November Rain by Guns 'N Roses started playing on the radio and I had to listen to the whole song. On the bright side, the alarm on my Lumia 920 went off just as expected.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, my 920 made me late for work! How you ask? Well, I left it on the charging plate last night before I went to bed and sometime during the night it shut itself off and never came back on. When I finally woke up I realized my alarm had not went off. Checked my phone and it was off and would not come back on until I held down the power+volume down button. This has me really worried. I can deal with slightly blurry pics, and an occasional restart, but to completely just die in the middle of the night rendering my alarm clock useless is not good. Now I'm afraid to leave it on the charging plate at night! :eck:

Yeah like others said, always use actual alarm clock. Have had this cheapo Ikea alarm clock now for 7 years, has never failed me. :wink:

That said it seems like you got hitted by the Windows Phone 8 bug. Microsoft announced last week that there is update coming this month via over the air update.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had to use an actual alarm clock in years. Kinda sucks that the 920 I love so much has failed me. I'm not giving up on Nokia though, I'm sure they will get this fixed with OTA update. Time to go digging through boxes for old school AC!

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I learned my lesson when I tried to use an alarm on my Touchpad with the Touchstone. I was excited about the charging and being able to display the weather, pictures, or a clock with an alarm. It was working well then all of the sudden become inconsistant. It would go off, but not have any sound. I learned my lesson with that one....

Currently my 920 is my backup and my 2 year old is my primary.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys are straying from the topic.

His problem is not the alarm clock, it's the fact that the phone just died/powered off totally in the middle of the night..

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
While I wasn't late, this happened to me too (phone locked up on the charing plate).

This is concerning because I actually rely on being contactable throughout the night depending on whether I have patients being cared for or not. Granted, I have multiple lines, and will likely have to make my other line the "go to" line if the Lumia is unreliable like this. Nothing like a tech trying to call you and panicking because she is sent straight to VM...

Mirachen

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If I set a reminder, then I will always be earlier than it...So for me,man of kinda diligent, no alarm clock is nothing serious...huhu

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the charging pad since I got it on the 13th. So far no shut downs or freeze ups.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys are straying from the topic.

His problem is not the alarm clock, it's the fact that the phone just died/powered off totally in the middle of the night..

You are correct! The alarm clock has been working fine for me since I got the phone on the 9th. Last night was the first time I had it on the charging plate all night. I can only guess that the phone got to hot and shut itself off??

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

Sorry but I agree with most everyone else. NEVER rely on a cell phone to wake you up. 9 times out of 10, they will work fine but do you really want to trust your future employment to a cell phone? I don't. To many things can go wrong. My advice: Get a cheap alarm clock. :eck:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Though this isn't anything new, right? Isn't this just the well known Windows Phone 8 bug?

Like i said above MS promised there will be update coming this month, hopefully soon.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
This is no different then if you went out to start your car and the battery was dead. Would you start a thread on a battery forum saying "My Interstate Battery made me late for work!"??

Things happen, that's just the way it goes. If your phone continues to have issues, replace it. You've learned a lesson and now you know what to put on your Christmas list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb