My Lumia 920 made me late for work!

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
This is no different then if you went out to start your car and the battery was dead. Would you start a thread on a battery forum saying "My Interstate Battery made me late for work!"??

Things happen, that's just the way it goes. If your phone continues to have issues, replace it. You've learned a lesson and now you know what to put on your Christmas list.

Not really, this isn't a battery issue this is a software issue. As another poster mentioned this may not be a huge deal in regards to the alarm but for someone that needs to be able to be reached 24/7 this could be a serious problem.

pookiewood

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't owned an alarm clock in YEARS. At least 6-8. I always rely on my Cellphone and haven't been let down. Sorry this happened to you dude. I just don't see any reason to own an alarm clock. Also usually I am already awake about 10 minutes before my alarm goes off.

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
My 900 alarm does not go off every once in a while. Bizarrely if I do not turn it off it will go off once I am at work, like an hour late. Very frustrating. Wondering if this OS issue rolled into WP8? Essentially my only major issue with Windows Phone... Thank goodness my timeliness is not particularly critical for my job.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
My BlackBerry never failed me as an alarm... miss those days. Even when my phone died from low battery, it would power up for the alarm.

I have never used my 920 for an alarm.

I currently use my iPhone 5 as an alarm, but it has failed me a few times. Luckily, 99% of the time, I wake up before it's time.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to see if it does it again tonight. Leaving it off the charging plate. I noticed the Lumia was really warm after it got to 100%. I'm thinking it was probably overheating. The only other problems that I am having are issues with blue tooth, occasionally the phone will freeze or restart and the issue with the photos blurring.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a bad phone. It shouldn't ever get warm except if you're running some intense computational process or streaming LOTS of data over LTE.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can HARDLY wait for MS and manufacturers to come out with their first set of updates so we can put a lot of these issues in the past. It will take until early next year for all these bugs to be found, updates written for the corrections, and for them to be distributed to all the WP 8's. Until then, some irritated WP 8 users will have forum issues which begin:

"I love my phone, but....."

And we all know, nothing matters before the "but".

nic comino

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Feel sorry for you. My 920 is being replaced as I type. But I have to say, my old HTC Desire on Android ALWAYS woke me up.....ALWAYS without fail.

kcovert

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Use 627.AM too although I never charge my phone overnight since that would be too much charge for the battery.

I know the plate shuts off at full charge and mine is working fine. However I recall others were having issues with the plate not shutting off and the relationship between the phone and the plate seem to correct itself after a soft reset and then re-introducing the phone to the plate.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys are straying from the topic.

His problem is not the alarm clock, it's the fact that the phone just died/powered off totally in the middle of the night..

That's probably true but then he shouldn't have proclaimed that the phone made him late. HE made himself late by relying on it.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That's probably true but then he shouldn't have proclaimed that the phone made him late. HE made himself late by relying on it.

My old Android Atrix 4G NEVER failed me as an alarm. You saying you don't rely on some type of alarm to wake you up? Even the old school alarm clocks could mess up, but chances are slim. I love how certain posters are blaming me like I shouldn't rely on a smartphone for an alarm. Really??? Its almost 2013, I think for the most part we can say its safe to rely on our smartphones for alarms. Its just that this one in particular has issues. Not the alarm app itself, but the phone. I'm willing to deal with these issues until they are fixed because I'm happy with everything else. The fact is, I rely on my smartphone for just about everything, and it failed ONE time. I didn't put it on the charging plate last night and the alarm worked perfectly. So until fixes are applied I won't be relying on my 920 for an alarm if its left on the charging plate.

Made in flanders

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but I agree with most everyone else. NEVER rely on a cell phone to wake you up. 9 times out of 10, they will work fine but do you really want to trust your future employment to a cell phone? I don't. To many things can go wrong. My advice: Get a cheap alarm clock. :eck:
Sorry, but I don't agree with you and everyone else.
I have relied on my blackberry for 3 years to wake me up, and it never failed, not even once. So, that's not 9 times out of 10, but more like 700 times out of 700.
If you can't trust on your phone for something as simple as an alarm clock, then it is a garbage phone. (Not saying the lumia 920 is garbage, but his is).

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Sorry that happened to you, only times this ever happened to me was when I had a Moto KRZR and a Touch Pro (only once) both times I was up within 5 minutes of the time anyway.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
OP did your battery die? When you got the phone back on was the battery dead? Can't blame the Lumia if you didn't get on it the charging pad correctly or if if fell off during the nigh.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Off topic since I don't own a L920 yet, 1-2 days before it arrive. But I never use a regular clock, always cell phone, so this troubling news to me.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have 4 pre-programmed alarms on my Lumia 920, and 2 special alarms that I have been using since launch day and I have NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. I also do not have a charging plate. My sister, brother Aunt, and mom also have 920's and they all use the OS alarm app and have not told me of any issues they are having (and believe me when I say that they are NOT tech saavy) so I think philharmonk's issue is isolated. Like he said, it's probably between the battery charging and charging plate.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think you guys are straying from the topic.

His problem is not the alarm clock, it's the fact that the phone just died/powered off totally in the middle of the night..

This is exactly right. I trust my several hundred dollar phone more than a cheapo alarm clock. Alarm clocks have failed me in the past. Since I started years ago using my phone they have never failed me.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
OP did your battery die? When you got the phone back on was the battery dead? Can't blame the Lumia if you didn't get on it the charging pad correctly or if if fell off during the nigh.

No the battery didn't die. When it came back on, the battery was almost at 100%. This is not that big of a deal to me really. I still have my Atrix 4G as a back up alarm. There seems to be issues with the phone when left on the charging plate overnight.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Off topic since I don't own a L920 yet, 1-2 days before it arrive. But I never use a regular clock, always cell phone, so this troubling news to me.

The alarm works just fine as long as I don't lay it on the wireless charging pad overnight. I've had this phone since day 1 of release and have had barely any issues. It only failed one time with the alarm and that was while it was on the charging plate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo