Matte Black Scratches Easily

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that the matte black lumia 920 scratches very easily? Within the first few days I had scratches down the side of the device. Since I have been treating it like a newborn baby my only thought was that it could be my wedding band rubbing on the side when it was in my hand. The scratches look as if the matte finish is rubbing off and it leaves a thin line of gloss.

I've put a zagg invisible shield over the whole device but now the thing just looks terrible. It makes the phone glossy, sticky, extremely prone to fingerprints, and the back shield doesn't stick properly along the rim of the ceramic lense assembly so it looks like there is some scuz under the screen protector. Since I had a mysterious scratch on the front screen on my first lumia 920 within days I'm thinking of leaving only the screen protector on and removing the back but I'm worried it will be massacred within weeks.

Anyone else finding the matte black really easy to scratch?

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the black 820 and have a similar situation, on the bezel the bit you cant replace, i too think it must have been my wedding ring as i keep it in a pouch.

Beltelmel

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Strange. Dont mean to get off topic but I have the white glossy I think the Zagg shield looks great. I didn't get the full body shield, just the front and back. The back of the shield is a matte finish so I now have absolutely zero fingerprints! The screen shield went on perfectly and attracts far fewer fingerprints than the screen did naked. I only feel a slight difference when doing key presses. When I slide my finger across the screen it is very smooth. The only caveat is that when I put the phone in my belt leather pouch the bottom edge of the Zaggs back shield attracts black fuzz from the pouch. So I don't use the pouch anymore. I just slide the phone into my pants pocket. I really like the shield.

Last edited:

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
In the 3+ weeks I have owned my Lumia 920 I have not had any scratches on the device. I don't believe that is luck on my part.

Thryon

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone (matte black) now for close just over two weeks and not a single scratch on it. And it is in and out of my pocket several times daily.

YSDesign

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
no scratches for me either. and i don't baby my phone (nor do i want to put a case or stickers on it to protect it). so, if i eventually do get some scratches, it really wouldn't bother me anyway.

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
AW: Matte Black Scratches Easily

That's why I'm not married :)!
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_248 using Board Express

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
No scratches here (and married with a wedding ring). I do get odd discoloration streaks on the 920 after it has been on the charging pad but no scratches. I did cringe the other day when I put my car keys in the same pocket but the 920 escaped without a scratch.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just about 3 weeks for me on my matte black and no scratches and I don't baby it and am taking it in out of my uniform pocket during my 12hr shift and setting down on odd surfaces.

tarzanmarzan

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
No scratches here (and married with a wedding ring). I do get odd discoloration streaks on the 920 after it has been on the charging pad but no scratches. I did cringe the other day when I put my car keys in the same pocket but the 920 escaped without a scratch.

lmao I cringe as well when I do that. Also zippered pockets make me uneasy or loose change. But always comes out on top! As for the discoloration I recommend carrying around a microfiber cloth. A fine buffing is all you need

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Most odd but the matt texture is wearing off at the top and bottom of the back. Treat it like a baby too. You can basically see two triangular areas where plastic looks smooth.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Anything with a matte finish scratches more easily. Even when scratch resistance is comparable to other finishes you have the added problem that marks are more obvious. It's why cars with matte paints require an absurd amount of care. Some materials are more resilient, but they all suffer the same fate; they rub down to a dull sheen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos