5 technology firsts for cell phone inside the lumia 920

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Pentaband LTE support

Nokia has led the way when it comes to pentaband 3G radios in its phones, so it was a natural progression to build the world’s first smartphone with pentaband LTE. This means you’ll be able to use LTE, which is capable of speeds up to ten times faster than traditional 3G networks, with more carriers, in even more places around the world.

Super sensitive touch

Maybe it’s not surprising when you consider Finland’s sub zero winters, but the Nokia Lumia 920 is also the first smartphone to have a touchscreen so sensitive, you can operate it with gloves, mittens, nails and even certain pens. This new super sensitive touch technology is the biggest leap forward for capacitive touchscreens since multi-touch gestures were introduced. It’s also worth noting that this super sensitivity doesn’t make the screen any more fragile, affect the water resistance, or increase the likelihood of coins or keys in your pocket accidentally making calls on your behalf.

Optical Image Stabilization

The Nokia Lumia 920 is the first ever smartphone globally available with Optical Image Stabilization. Thanks to a camera module pairing both sensor and lens-based optical IS, still images and HD video captured with the Lumia 920 will be steady, even if your video shooting hand isn’t.

60 FPS HD display refresh rate

The Nokia Lumia 920’s PureMotion HD+ is the latest technology advancement in smartphone displays. We’ve already talked about its sensitivity, but it’s also one of the brightest and most pixel dense displays out there. What’s more, it’s the first smartphone in the world to deliver a full 60 frames-per-second (FPS) without any blurring. This means no more lag or pixelated video and ghost images appearing as your screen moves. Thanks to an IPS type LCD display, which is given a higher voltage difference when changing states, you’ll enjoy a clean transition from frame to frame, even when operating at top speeds.

Integrated wireless charging

The Nokia Lumia 920 is the first integrated wireless charging smartphone, available worldwide, with the technology built right into the handset. Compatible with the Qi wireless standard, the Lumia 920 not only uses a wide selection of Nokia wireless charging accessories, but can be charged anywhere using Qi, such as the Virgin Atlantic lounge in London’s Heathrow airport.

All of these things make me feel good that i made my own decision to go with a phone thats truely innovative and not just the popular phone.

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Pentaband LTE support

Nokia has led the way when it comes to pentaband 3G radios in its phones, so it was a natural progression to build the world’s first smartphone with pentaband LTE. This means you’ll be able to use LTE, which is capable of speeds up to ten times faster than traditional 3G networks, with more carriers, in even more places around the world.

Super sensitive touch

Maybe it’s not surprising when you consider Finland’s sub zero winters, but the Nokia Lumia 920 is also the first smartphone to have a touchscreen so sensitive, you can operate it with gloves, mittens, nails and even certain pens. This new super sensitive touch technology is the biggest leap forward for capacitive touchscreens since multi-touch gestures were introduced. It’s also worth noting that this super sensitivity doesn’t make the screen any more fragile, affect the water resistance, or increase the likelihood of coins or keys in your pocket accidentally making calls on your behalf.

Optical Image Stabilization

The Nokia Lumia 920 is the first ever smartphone globally available with Optical Image Stabilization. Thanks to a camera module pairing both sensor and lens-based optical IS, still images and HD video captured with the Lumia 920 will be steady, even if your video shooting hand isn’t.

60 FPS HD display refresh rate

The Nokia Lumia 920’s PureMotion HD+ is the latest technology advancement in smartphone displays. We’ve already talked about its sensitivity, but it’s also one of the brightest and most pixel dense displays out there. What’s more, it’s the first smartphone in the world to deliver a full 60 frames-per-second (FPS) without any blurring. This means no more lag or pixelated video and ghost images appearing as your screen moves. Thanks to an IPS type LCD display, which is given a higher voltage difference when changing states, you’ll enjoy a clean transition from frame to frame, even when operating at top speeds.

The Nokia Lumia 920 is the first integrated wireless charging smartphone, available worldwide, with the technology built right into the handset. Compatible with the Qi wireless standard, the Lumia 920 not only uses a wide selection of Nokia wireless charging accessories, but can be charged anywhere using Qi, such as the Virgin Atlantic lounge in London’s Heathrow airport.

All of these things make me feel good that i made my own decision to go with a phone thats truely innovative and not just the popular phone.

The super sensitive touch screen is more of a gimmick, doesnt work that well. Others yea

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The super sensitive touch screen is more of a gimmick, doesnt work that well. Others yea

so if i'm in the cold and i got gloves on and i want to do something on my phone without taking my gloves off to make my hand even more cold, i can just turn on the super sensitive option in my phone and use my gloves instead. and thats a gimmick? lol ok.

rajeshr68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Didn't the Palm Pre have wireless charging way back in 2009?

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The Palm Pre still required you to use a special cover to use wireless charging, so the Lumia 920 is indeed the first phone with wireless charging built-in ​to the phone and not available as an extra option.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

On what phone DOES it work better than the 920? I can only compare it to my old iphone 4 which simply would not, in any way, even acknowledge that anything was touching the screen unless it was the actual skin of my finger.

That I can put on gloves and use the phone is quite remarkable actually to me.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I loved the Palm Pre. Then HP had to drop a deuce on the Palm legacy and kill off webOS and any hope of having a Pre 3, 4, 5...

The Lumia 920 is a fantastic device, but it has had its fair share of issues. I think some of them are overplayed, some are legitimate and others are just the result of people unfamiliar with Windows Phone.

lita_g

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried the screen with gloves, but I have tried it with my fingernails and it does not work. I was looking forward to that so it was a bummer :(

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried the screen with gloves, but I have tried it with my fingernails and it does not work. I was looking forward to that so it was a bummer :(

that sucks. i just tried that and while i dont have long nails, i am able to just touch the screen with my nail only and with the high sensitivty on the screen moves and responds. maybe with longer nails the end of the nail is cold so it doesnt respond but with my nails they arent very long but are warmer since they are close to skin. *shrug i dont know, but the screen does respond to my nail only.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
that sucks. i just tried that and while i dont have long nails, i am able to just touch the screen with my nail only and with the high sensitivty on the screen moves and responds. maybe with longer nails the end of the nail is cold so it doesnt respond but with my nails they arent very long but are warmer since they are close to skin. *shrug i dont know, but the screen does respond to my nail only.

Yes, I think there's a limit on how long your nail can be. With high sensitivity setting activated, I can actually use my phone without even touching the screen. I just need to get close enough, and it will pick up my action, although it really only works well for bigger buttons. If I type, I touch the actual screen.

I find the most precise way is to use my keys as a stylus.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I think there's a limit on how long your nail can be. With high sensitivity setting activated, I can actually use my phone without even touching the screen. I just need to get close enough, and it will pick up my action, although it really only works well for bigger buttons. If I type, I touch the actual screen.

I find the most precise way is to use my keys as a stylus.

LOL....not sure if this is serious or sarcasm.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Two experiences I've had with super-sensitive touch screen on 920:

1. When using something besides my finger, it helps to hold it against the screen for about 3 seconds before I try to make any input. It seems that the screen is able to recalibrate for the non-finger input.

2. In cold temperature (below 30 Fahrenheit) I haven't been able to get any non-finger input to work at all. Kind of defeats the purpose for me. Fortunately, I have some of these gloves that seem to work on any touch screen at any temperature.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/mens-sensor-gloves.html

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

It works brilliantly with my leather gloves, and I even tried using thick woolen cap and it worked well too. The only thing is that after you turn it on, the screen needs to calibrate into your touch. It will take a little while touching the screen (few seconds), but after a while it works brilliantly. It is anything but a gimmick, atleast where I live..

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Oh, really? Whats wrong with your fingernails? :D Because my tip of fingernail works just fine both scrolling and selecting. Are you sure you have "touch sensitivity" set 'high'?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3