Lumia 920 Rogers vs MS Store

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Is there a difference between the Lumia 920 phones that are purchased through Rogers vs the MS Store? (In Ontario Canada).
I know we have to sign up month to month when buying outright, but is there a difference in terms of getting the phone unlocked?
Thanks

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was able to buy the phone from MS Store without signing a contract. They called Rogers trying to set me up with them, but the lady on the line told me the system was offline and that I could buy the phone without opening an account, so I told MS that and they agreed selling me the phone. I had to return it, though, 10 days later because I couldn't unlock it, and I feel like I want to buy it again. I really liked WP8.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Yup, was just curious about the unlocking experience. Seeing that AT&T is providing a stumbling block, whereas people are having luck with Rogers phones, I didn't know if there was a difference. Apparently not. Accessories would matter is MS throws in something for free! :)

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I was able to buy the phone from MS Store without signing a contract. They called Rogers trying to set me up with them, but the lady on the line told me the system was offline and that I could buy the phone without opening an account, so I told MS that and they agreed selling me the phone. I had to return it, though, 10 days later because I couldn't unlock it, and I feel like I want to buy it again. I really liked WP8.

How did you attempt to unlock? Online route or did you ask Rogers to unlock? I was under the impression that Rogers should have no issue unlocking this device.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I was so disappointed that MS store doesn't carry more colours. They should start to sell unlocked phones for Canadians soon because Rogers is a piece of junk,.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I think if you buy a phone outright from Rogers they make you pay an additional $50 for some reason so it comes out to 599 + tax but if you buy from the MS store it's 549 + tax.

Also, interesting that the last two times I went to the MS store in Yorkdale I mentioned to the reps that I was waiting for unlock codes to become more available before I made a purchase. Both times a rep replied by saying that they were working on getting the unlock codes themselves. I don't know if that would even be possible for them, but it sounded promising considering two different reps said that.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I think if you buy a phone outright from Rogers they make you pay an additional $50 for some reason so it comes out to 599 + tax but if you buy from the MS store it's 549 + tax.

Also, interesting that the last two times I went to the MS store in Yorkdale I mentioned to the reps that I was waiting for unlock codes to become more available before I made a purchase. Both times a rep replied by saying that they were working on getting the unlock codes themselves. I don't know if that would even be possible for them, but it sounded promising considering two different reps said that.

That's good news. I definitely want to visit Yorkdale store to check it out. I really hope they can carry more colours soon too..

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How did you attempt to unlock? Online route or did you ask Rogers to unlock? I was under the impression that Rogers should have no issue unlocking this device.
I tried cellunlocker.net and they had to search an alternative database and I didn't know how long that would take. I didn't want to wait too long so I asked for a refund and returned the phone before the 14 days is over. I will invistigate other unlocking options before buying the phone again.

Would Rogers be willing to unlock it if I buy it from MS Store?

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
squire777, david90531, and everyone else in Toronto .. please keep up posted about how it goes with buying the phone from MS Store in Yorkdale and whether we can have it unlocked. Thanks

timriley

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the phone is only $549 at the Rogers store too (I know because I've bought 4 Lumia920's in the last 3 weeks, all at Rogers stores). That's the price to buy to get on the month-to-month (no annual contract). You can then opt for the $27/mo (cheapest) voice+message plan (no data) when you sign up, then choose to call Rogers to unlock the phone for $50 (or wait for cellunlocker / CanadaGSM to get the codes). When you then call to cancel your phone service with Rogers to give them your 30days notice, they will technically still bill you for active service for those 30 days. Overall the price is still way less than the equivalent $799 unlocked 32gb Iphone5 IMO.

That's good news. I definitely want to visit Yorkdale store to check it out. I really hope they can carry more colours soon too..

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I tried cellunlocker.net and they had to search an alternative database and I didn't know how long that would take. I didn't want to wait too long so I asked for a refund and returned the phone before the 14 days is over. I will invistigate other unlocking options before buying the phone again.

Would Rogers be willing to unlock it if I buy it from MS Store?

Yes, from what others have posted, Rogers will unlock a phone purchased at MS Store Yorkdale - it's technically a Rogers phone anyhow since they force at the very least a month-to-month plan on you (don't get me started on how stupid that is for someone who buys a phone outright).

And when I was there, while very reservedly telling me (I could have been a mystery shopper), they did say it is unlockable by Rogers.

snailium

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I did buy a Lumia 920 from Yorkdale MS Store on the opening day, without signing any contract or month-to-month plan. I paid $549.99 + tax for the phone only. And the rep told me I need to call Rogers to get it unlocked.

I did call Rogers, spent 4 hours and got it unlocked. Then I wrote this guide. http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ide-unlock-your-rogers-nokia-lumia-920-a.html

I did tried several online unlockers, but none of them could unlock my Lumia 920 (44/2012 batch). So, my suggestion is try the online unlocker first, and consider Rogers as the last choice.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I did buy a Lumia 920 from Yorkdale MS Store on the opening day, without signing any contract or month-to-month plan. I paid $549.99 + tax for the phone only. And the rep told me I need to call Rogers to get it unlocked.

I did call Rogers, spent 4 hours and got it unlocked. Then I wrote this guide. http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ide-unlock-your-rogers-nokia-lumia-920-a.html

I did tried several online unlockers, but none of them could unlock my Lumia 920 (44/2012 batch). So, my suggestion is try the online unlocker first, and consider Rogers as the last choice.

Thanks for the guide snailium!
Consider yourself lucky to get the phone without at least the minimum Rogers' plan ($27 + tax I believe).
That brings the total buyout price to $550 + $27 (plan) + $50 (unlock) = $627 + tax

I wonder how I'd follow your guide differently if I am already a Rogers customer (but not wanting to use on Rogers obviously). Probably wouldn't need to preload anything since they can charge to my already existing account.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am planning to buy the phone again from Yorkdale MS Store, and will try to get it again without signing up right away with Rogers.

Next will try to call Rogers and unlock it without having a wireless account. I have a Rogers high-speed internet account so will see if that works.

Last Resort: Will buy a $10 Rogers pay-as-you-go sim card and top it with $50 then call the Rogers unlocking team.

Let me know if you can think of a better plan to try.

Question: Can I have a Rogers wireless account and top it up without the need to purchase the sim card?

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
From my understanding, you cannot walk out of the MS Store without getting at the very least, a M2M with Rogers. That is the agreement they have in place with Rogers. Someone did mention earlier that they were able to avoid this, only because the Rogers system was down - so not a usual circumstance.

It doesn't matter if you have a Rogers wireless account. I do too and I was forced into the M2M at the price of $549. Now, you can get the phone from Rogers directly, store, etc for $599 without a contract at all, but it's actually cheaper to get the m2m and cancel immediately. Even at $599, it would still be locked to Rogers.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
1. I got my L920!!! Rogers and Bestbuy were both out of stock, so I got it from the MS store, they're nicer and cooler anyway :p

2. No matter where you buy it, it's pretty much the same deal for Canadians right now. Same pricing same phone. Can't buy phone without a plan. However, I got it during the promotion this weekend so the phone was only $50, plus the early upgrade fee + tax it came up to around $150, but apparently there's another $50 online rebate I can do on Rogers, so the total was $108. Sadly, that also means another 3 pathetic years of Rogers T_T

3. No free accessories with purchase of WP8 right now, maybe they had something before but not at the moment.

4. The store has the incipio cases for $25

5. No wireless charging plate in stock right now, only the wireless charging stand in black.

6. I'm proud of this, haha: The first 920 he gave me I turned it on to check for defects, and then I remember ppl mentioning the yellowness on the buttons/batch numbers, so I asked him if it was the newest batch/shipment, it was a 46/2012, the guy was honest and great and told me there should be a 47/2012 and went to get it for me. So if you are thinking about getting it from MS store, this might be a good tip.

That's pretty much it for now, LOVING the phone, no problem what so ever so far, coming from a first gen WP7 (focus), everything feels soooo much faster and smoother. Loving the new colours, animations, homescreen.... the list goes on.
One thing I notice is the focus assist light is set as ON as default, which I don't necessarily like, but I found out the way to turn it off.

Ask away if there's any questions, I talked with them for like an hour today so I should know quite a bit, haha!

ipeefreeli

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
So there is absolutely no way to get the phone from the Microsoft Store or a Rogers store without getting a plan?

I thought they were selling it for 599.99 outright without having to sign up for a plan.

Also, anyone know if it works on Wind for sure?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb