Wireless charging destroying battery?

TNL Nick

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The wireless charger does make the phone heat up when it's charging, but the phone stays cool if the charge is just being topped off. I suggest a cool wired charge overnight as needed (because heat can shorten the battery life over the long term), but it should be all right to use the wireless plate to hold your phone when it's fully charged - e.g., while you're at work or watching TV and want the phone to stay at 100%.

asuprice

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Update: I charged the phone with the cable last night and got the same problem. I guess the battery is leaking?

I've heard that Skype is a problem for a lot of people. If you have that installed try deleting it for a bit and see if it helps

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My phone's battery drained fast briefly the other day, and it was right after I'd shown Photobeamer to a couple people. It turns out one of them had kept the browser window open for a few hours. I ended up rebooting my phone anyways and it has been fine since. I can't be sure that Photobeamer was the issue, but it is certainly a possiblity. At the least, make sure you close any Photobeamer browser tabs when done so the app doesn't try to maintain a connection to that session.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Been using the charging pad of a week or so and haven't had any issues. It's a convenient way to charge your Windows Phone.

As far as saving battery life, disable the NFC feature (Touch+Share feature in the 920's settings) and make sure Nokia+ Beta isn't running in the background. You should block any other apps running in the background that you don't necessarily need but there are reports that Nokia+ Beta is suspect of draining your power.

These steps helped my battery life tremendously on the 920.

LevSer

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the EXACT same problem as the OP after I started to use my wireless charger. However, another fun thing I also had in common with the OP was installing the following apps (minus the pdf reader, that one I had from the start) on the same day:
the only app I have installed the night before the problem started happening was photo beamer, pdf reader, and ringtone maker.

So without any hesitation I uninstalled Photo Beamer and Ringtone Maker and noticed:

• With these apps 55% battery showed 6 hours.
  • Without these apps 55% now shows 1 day, 18 hours.

This might have something to do with it or maybe not. I don't know for sure anymore...

*this post has been edited*

Last edited:

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled those apps and saw a minor improvement. In stead of 100% projecting 6 hours of battery I now get 8 hours. I guess the damage to my battery has already been done. I'm gonna get a replacement from att. Hope they still have red ones.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled those apps and saw a minor improvement. In stead of 100% projecting 6 hours of battery I now get 8 hours. I guess the damage to my battery has already been done. I'm gonna get a replacement from att. Hope they still have red ones.

this could be a blessing in disguise for you if at&t gives you a replacement. you will probably get a red one thats part of the 2nd batch of 920's that will probably solve all your issues like i did.

devilgunman

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm at this point pretty certain that poor battery is due to apps. Some apps will try to get on internet even though you've already closed them.

apps accessing internet = battery drain = phone overheated

This morning my phone went from 100% to 50% in 3 hours. Then I started removing unnecessary apps including all at&t apps, metrotube, cinemagraph, Nokia Music (which I think the real culprit) and all other Nokia photo editing apps and then restarted the phone. My phone suddenly stop being warm and the battery was at 50% for more than 2 hours .

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Angry Birds makes my phone overheat like crazy. I don't think that accesses the internet?

angry birds requires an internet connection in order for you to play it, whether its WiFi or mobile data. how i know this is because 1 night i was at bowling league and i was in the middle of the bowling center. this bowling center disrupts the cell phone connection when you are in the building. inbetween my bowling turn i tried to play angry birds. the app started and told me i didnt have an internet connection and then closed.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Been using the charging pad of a week or so and haven't had any issues. It's a convenient way to charge your Windows Phone.

As far as saving battery life, disable the NFC feature (Touch+Share feature in the 920's settings) and make sure Nokia+ Beta isn't running in the background. You should block any other apps running in the background that you don't necessarily need but there are reports that Nokia+ Beta is suspect of draining your power.

These steps helped my battery life tremendously on the 920.

How do you see what apps are running with this phone?

LevSer

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that my wireless charger doesn't stop charging when the phone hits 100%. I used to have the charger in an extra (lets call it) "shell" so I couldn't see the light but took it out to try this. And the light is fully lit (no blinking) even after the phone is fully charged. I'm usually pretty quick to get it off around 100% and never charge it over the night, however, all qi chargers are supposed to feature an automatic off function so it's quite frustrating to see this behaviour.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo