03-06-2013 09:13 AM
48 12
tools
    I wonder if they mixed up the 920 and 820 scores. If not they are lying. I have a rap song for a ringtone and if it is at 30 then it is super loud. I usually put it at 15. It's loud but not distorted. It is clear and sounds great.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    12-05-2012 11:18 AM
    What's important is the sound QUALITY at your NORMAL LISTENING LEVEL. Nobody gives a damn how loud it sounds if the sound is all distorted.
    +1

I'm not sure how max dB alone is considered to be an overall measure of speaker quality. Not that loudness isn't important but for everyday usage, I'm not too convinced that people go around cranking their phones to max output and blasting music. If they did, I sure as **** would not be friends with that person. It's why scientists invented headphones.
    jholso, karmamule, aubreyq and 1 others like this.
    12-05-2012 11:49 AM
    Agreed.. My speaker is louder than any phone I've had. I have to turn it down
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    12-05-2012 11:58 AM
    I have noticed that my 920 is a little quiet. But it's pretty clear though.
    12-05-2012 12:34 PM
    +1

I'm not sure how max dB alone is considered to be an overall measure of speaker quality. Not that loudness isn't important but for everyday usage, I'm not too convinced that people go around cranking their phones to max output and blasting music. If they did, I sure as **** would not be friends with that person. It's why scientists invented headphones.
    My use case scenario:
    Driving to and from work answering calls while driving:

I have owned Nokia 3310 -> Palm Treo -> 2007 iPHone- > Samsung Focus -> Nokia 900 -> Nokia 920

I have been able to answer/calls on the Treo and 900 via speaker phone while the others didn't work. Yes! I have tried several jawbone blue tooth headsets and it I gave up on using it after the samsung focus as the volume was just too low to hear (for my ears) above the road noise. So this year I was about to get the latest/greatest jawbone headset until I was able to get the 900 and tested it out. And voila the speaker on the phone was good enough to carry a conversation.

I mean ya don't want me to hold a phone up to my ear while driving 65+mph...that would be dangerous.

OPTION:
    Continue to hunt for a capable blue tooth headset
    Buy a new $25k car that will allow me to play my phone through the car speakers
    See if Nokia can release an update for the volume

In either case, why does it seem like if an issue is not important to user X then its deemed not important. I have seen this issue on this forum for the WiFi cutoff issues, build quality and battery problems It seems like the answer is "Its not important to me and I never use it so its not important so ur overacting"
    12-05-2012 02:30 PM
    I previously owned Noka N900, whose speaker quality was so poor that in a noisy environment you could barely hear the ring. Yes in quiet environment it was clear. N900 had a utility Alsamixer in its command pompt using which you could boost the speaker but still it hardly made any difference in day to day life

N95 had best speakers as they were loud and clear in any environment. Loud speaker does create disturbance but you have the option to adjust the volume. Now in a noisy environment like market or streets you need extremely loud volume which N95 offered. Lumia 920 being slightly thick should have bigger and better speakers compared to iPhone 5 and GS3.
    12-05-2012 10:01 PM
    the speaker is nothing less than a monster i'll give you that...
    maverick786us and Zeroplanetz like this.
    12-05-2012 10:22 PM
    This thing came as a serious surprise to to me. Nokia shifted their production to China for cost cutting. I've read so many different openions in this message board about Lumia 920.
    The camera is best no doubt about it, best video recording, best night time and low light photos the minor issue of normal light condition will be overcome with an update.

But about the call quality, speakerphone test, music, build quality I've read so many different openions someone praising it, someone criticizing it. What is it? Is Lumia 920 the first phone in which more than 40% devices came with manufacturing defect?
    12-06-2012 12:37 AM
    I have a lg optimus g, the Lumia 920 speaker is definitely better than optimus g
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    12-06-2012 02:29 AM
    And they are wrong. I've had numerous smartphones, Windows Mobile, multiple Androids, and the 920 surpasses all of them. The speakers sound much better than any of them. GSMArena should get their review phone repairred.
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    12-06-2012 04:56 AM
    Curious what "ringtone" they used, as I have found that the "loudness" of ringtone's vary. Does that directly translate to a higher or lower decibel?
    Zeroplanetz likes this.
    12-06-2012 08:28 AM
    I'm more concerned by the sound quality from the headphone jack than the speakers :]. Looking at RMAA tests on GSMArena its looking from avarage to bad. I was hoping for something in pair with sgs3,sgs iphone 4s or even iphone 5. I'll nto mention about super perfect SQ that nokia 808 and htc one s have :]. I'm enyoing listening to music on my nokia on the go but still, something's wrong.
    12-06-2012 08:52 AM
    The only review that anyone can ever trust, is the one they do for themselves while actually holding the item being reviewed...
    I would always use these sorts of reviews as an aggregate - pick the info that you are curious about, then go physically try the device somewhere to see for yourself.
    It doesn't matter *who* does the reviews you read - they are all skewed in one way or another, as personal opinion is exactly what the reviews really end up being. Even if they have numbers showing decibel levels etc., how the phone actually sounds in person will be all that counts.

My opinion? I think it has pretty good speakers for a phone, and am happy with it.
    Couldn't agree more. When I worked for Sony I always told people who were shopping for a new TV to bring a DVD they new and had watched a hundred times so they new what to expect. Never let the store use a store demo.
    12-06-2012 09:16 AM
    They also say that the Lumia 920 is borderline too big, which I agree with. That thing is HUGE. lol
    12-06-2012 12:30 PM
    I have to say that I really like the speaker phone. But I do agree with GSMArena with the sound quality, through headphones it not very good and through bluetooth there is annoying high pitch tone when any audio playback with music or system sounds. :( I hope this will be resolved with the next update.
    12-06-2012 01:13 PM
    My 920 volume and sound is very good. In fact I only turn my volume up to 20 where with my 900 I always kept it on 30. So the volume is much louder and I think much better than even the 900. Out of the 4 phones in my house, both WP8 and Android phones, my 920 has the best sound.
    12-07-2012 04:03 AM
    maybe 920's speakers require some break in. My 920 speakers sound louder now than when I first got the phone.
    12-07-2012 06:02 AM
    besides the crackling sound issue (you know what i'm talking about), i think the speaker is above average. Not mind blowing, but more than good enough. If they could just fix that crackling issue (software bug most likely), i'll be more than satisfied.
    12-07-2012 06:03 AM
    I played We'll be coming back on my lumia 920 and my friend's S3 and it sounded better on S3. I swear. Lumia's sounded like it's played in a box, S3's brighter and clearer. But who cares? 920 has got better camera :P
    03-06-2013 08:00 AM
    Agree! Ringing sound is low. We need one update for volume and that be separate for sound music.
    03-06-2013 08:11 AM
    My brother has the gs2 and when outdoors he has to crank his all the way up and hold it closer to his head to hear. My l920 I actually have to turn the volume down a certain times. Don't need the whole park to hear it lol! But even the over all sound quality is really good to me. Best I've had in a phone yet in my opinion.
    03-06-2013 08:12 AM
    They also say that the Lumia 920 is borderline too big, which I agree with. That thing is HUGE. lol
    personal opinion there... my l920 fits my hands very well.
    03-06-2013 08:16 AM
    My Lumia 920 is good, now ... My surface pro speakers suck
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    03-06-2013 09:13 AM
48 12