Is the black 920 even worth getting?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah as a few of you mentioned here, another reason I don't want to Black is because of the Matte finish. If I have to go with a Matte finish then give me the Cyan. Otherwise a high gloss white is my personal choice, too bad still can't get that here ....

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The thing about white/black/grey is that it works with every colour scheme in WP8. Red, Cyan and Yellow have certain limitations as to what looks good as a theme.

Thats just how colours work.

Personally I wouldnt want a black Lumia 920, as Ive had 2395073249852752 black phones over the years. I chose a white one, which I find very stylish with the dark graphite buttons and the dark bezel, jackplug and microusb. Works very well with both black/white backgrounds and any theme colour. Thats my personal preference though.

HOWEVER, to get to the point: keeping my dislike of black phones in mind, Id rather have a matte black Lumia 920 than ANY HTC 8x, simply because I think the 8x is a VASTLY inferior phone and looks insanely horrible designwise. For all the reasons mentioned above; Nokia Music, the camera, the wireless charging, the build quality, the sunlight filter, the glove-use, Nokia PhotoBeamer (dude its amazingly awesome, google it) and the fact that Nokia updates things while HTC has a bad trackrecord of it, especially on their WP devices.

TL;DR: Really? Read it, its not that long.

tarzanmarzan

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
For me the gorgeous 16GB 8X would be the same price as a black 920. I don't drive so won't need turn by turn and all that. I doubt I would use the 32GB space it seems overkill. If a yellow or cyan or white 920 were to roll out in Canada I would definitely get one of those. But for now there is only the black and there may never be any other colors in Canada. So would it even be worth it to get a black 920? Like how bad does it look in real life?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

http://michael-marzan.tumblr.com/search/Lumia+

Tell me it does not look sexy. Go on.

Belkin hardshell/gel bumper (black/red)

Aaron M

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I got a black one from Build so I can't complain, but personally I would prefer a colored one. I think the HTC 8X is a great looking phone and if I wanted a smaller phone than the 920 I would certainly get the 8X. Unlike a lot of people in the WP fan community, I want to see HTC and Samsung succeed at WP8 and not let Nokia run the entire show. That being said, if anyone asked for my recommendation I would tell them to go with Nokia. Even if you don't care about the style or extra features, its indisputable that Nokia has a greater commitment to support their windows phones with firmware updates, new apps, and exclusive app deals.

nokiafan99

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on where you work? If you are working in Finance profession Black Matte or at the most white glossy are your best options. But since, in Canada Rogers is only carrying Black Matte, I would say go with Black Matte. I know its a little boring but if you work in finance profession like me you don't have the great color choices that Nokia has to offer.

Go with Black Matte for now

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
For me the gorgeous 16GB 8X would be the same price as a black 920. I don't drive so won't need turn by turn and all that. I doubt I would use the 32GB space it seems overkill. If a yellow or cyan or white 920 were to roll out in Canada I would definitely get one of those. But for now there is only the black and there may never be any other colors in Canada. So would it even be worth it to get a black 920? Like how bad does it look in real life?

I was in the same situation, and I chose to get a matte black Lumia 920. The amount of pluses outweigh the colour difference (Nokia app collection, Nokia hardware, Nokia support), however there are reports that colour varieties are coming to Canada, so if you can hold out a while longer... To give some reference, it was somewhere around 1.5months between when Canada received the Black 900 and Cyan 900. Also the black variety is matte while the colour versions are glossy.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same situation, and I chose to get a matte black Lumia 920. The amount of pluses outweigh the colour difference (Nokia app collection, Nokia hardware, Nokia support), however there are reports that colour varieties are coming to Canada, so if you can hold out a while longer... To give some reference, it was somewhere around 1.5months between when Canada received the Black 900 and Cyan 900. Also the black variety is matte while the colour versions are glossy.

Just a follow up question, did the cyan come out 1.5 months after the official release or after the 'unofficial' release (like the 920 being available before official release). How long has it been since the rogers 920 release? Do you think there's any chance that the yellow 920 will come on rogers before January? I'm doubting it because the 920 seems to have a much stronger international demand than the 900.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I went back and looked up my bills. I got the black 900 on April 16, and the cyan 900 on July 4. So it was actually 2.5 months. The Rogers Plus agent at polo park said last Friday that the cyan and yellow versions are coming soon. I wish they would get Red. :)

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I went back and looked up my bills. I got the black 900 on April 16, and the cyan 900 on July 4. So it was actually 2.5 months. The Rogers Plus agent at polo park said last Friday that the cyan and yellow versions are coming soon. I wish they would get Red. :)

Did you get the 900s immediately upon release? How did the agent know about the colors? Still I'm already excited. :D

Which one would you choose cyan or yellow?

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing it was pretty near to day 1, for example I got the Lumia 920 on October 30th at noon. I think I'm going to wait for red, I just hope it comes; or I'll wait for the next 9XX device. My friend is using my cyan 900 now and even though I miss that colour, I want to try something different.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Batman Black, matte like the Tumbler. I think the color sort of legitimizes WP. I always felt like the cyan was more of a novelty than as phone when I had the 900. Cool color, but not taken seriously.

I get a lot more compliments on the black phone because it looks sleek/elegant. Plus with cyan, it was a blue tile scheme because nothing else looked good.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For me the black phone was the only choice. I can't see myself in business meeting taking out a bright yellow phone. Besides my tiles will never clash with my phone! 😁
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

tmservo

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I grabbed the black. Sorry, I'd never carry a multicolor phone. I get that other people like them, just not for me. Love it.

tarzanmarzan

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Lol I made a topic asking if the black with a colored cover on it would be a good replacement. I must it looks really nice but doesn't it make the phone even thicker? Is one handed typing even comfortable anymore?

It does make the phone only marginally thicker. But its only comfortable to text one handed if you have a pianist's fingers lol. The rubber offers grip and it also lifts the phone off the surface of the table to protect the lens/bezel or glass. Its not a full case, but a bumper as the back is exposed. A full case such as the otterbox defender would make the phone gigantic like an S3 or Note 2.
Should you decide to get a case, try out a slim one. Mall kiosks are the way to go! I got my focus case awhile back at Devonshire mall in Windsor Ontario. I swear you guys have the best selection.

marius de klerk

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I went with the black,just liked the way it looked more.Not disagreeing that some of the other options are more striking,just feel that the black can fit into more situations more often,work,play etc.

But the fact that so many of us are discussing which colour is best,probably proves that Nokia was right in offering the range of options compared to a two colour choice only.

johnzilla

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I personally think the glossy colours give the phone a tacky look, and the matte black really compliments it and makes it look much more sleek, like it deserves.

I also don't think I'd feel comfortable being a bloke, walking round with a bright yellow phone lol.

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Black for me too. I spend an inordinate amount of time changing the theme colors😃 sometimes I'm feeling Cyan or Crimson or maybe I'm feeling more Mauve or Olive and the black body looks good with all of them. Matter of taste I guess but I'm with Jonzilla...not carrying a yellow phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12