Is the black 920 even worth getting?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
For me the gorgeous 16GB 8X would be the same price as a black 920. I don't drive so won't need turn by turn and all that. I doubt I would use the 32GB space it seems overkill. If a yellow or cyan or white 920 were to roll out in Canada I would definitely get one of those. But for now there is only the black and there may never be any other colors in Canada. So would it even be worth it to get a black 920? Like how bad does it look in real life?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess its personal preference. It may be boring to some, but I don't want anything BUT black! The colors are nice looking, no doubt, but I would still buy black if other colors were available.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I too am waiting for other colours to come to Canada. This phone is meant to be colourful in my opinion! The official ad barely showed black (1 second)..
I don't know if I can keep waiting though.. Rogers SUCKS big time.
For me I would still want to get the 920 for the camera. 8X is also an amazing device but reviews clearly showed the difference in their photo-taking abilities

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I love my black 920, I would not want any other colors to be honest. It looks very high end in black, it goes with anything and any other color I'd probably get tired of.
Also they make cases that are different colors so if i ever wanted another color I'd just get a colored case.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with black at all. It's reserved, but it looks sleek and business-like.

Personally, I think you are far more likely to regret missing out on the Nokia exclusive apps, turn-by-turn, superior camera and extra memory than you are to wish you had gotten a colored phone with a soft touch coating that peels off.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
the only reason i got white 920 is because all my previous phones were black.

i think the 920 looks best in gray and black (in that order).

Airanp

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a black 920, looks great. I had a cyan 900 but the colored phone make your choices for themes smaller as a lot of colors clash with the colored phone .

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a white 920 - only because they didn't have black in stock. I'd prefer black, actually - I think it looks best with all the various tile colors. When you have a white phone and a yellow tile scheme it....doesn't look right.

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I originally wanted Cyan or Grey but none of those colours are available in the UK. My next choice was red or yellow but when I went to the store to compare the handsets I fell in love with the black. In my opinion, compared to the coloured handsets, black simply looks classy.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I got black because, as others have said, it goes with any tile color. The matte effect is nice, but it's a black phone, there's not too much variation there. Not sure where you're getting that the black looks bad in real life. Looks great to me. If getting a phone w/ color makes you the happiest, go with what makes you happy.

You never know when turn-by-turn directions can come in handy, even if you don't drive, you might ride with someone who could use it. 32GB is very useful. 8GB is much too small, especially if you plan on taking videos. A good length video (5-6 min) will take up around 500MB. That doesn't leave much space for multiple videos, plus music, apps, etc..

I seriously think you're underestimating your memory needs here.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
If color is your main deciding factor, black is boring, and it seems you agree. Don't forget that the 920 has a few more tricks up its sleeve including wireless charging (and a free charger), a screen that you can see in direct sunlight (and this REALLY works phenomenally), usability with gloves on (another thing that works really well) and a phenomenal camera plus bundles of Nokia exclusive apps to compliment it (alongside others that are not specific to picture taking).

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
How bad does it look in real life? Not bad at all...

I like the matte finish and dark chrome buttons and camera accent. The color is really a personal choice and while the yellow was appealing, I don't like glossy finishes. The black is conservative enough for work and with the gray or olive drab themes, it stands out a bit.

vingengo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The matte finish for me is slippery. I swapped it for a glossy red finish for grip purposes.
I also get to tell people about this phone because the "color" is getting attention.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I found the black a bit boring-looking and IMO the matte finish is more slippery than the glossy finish. I would've had a 920 if I weren't waiting to get a yellow one :wink:

If you are asking the subject question then I urge you not to get a black 920 because it seems you aren't inclined to get it in the first place. Follow your instincts and get what you want even if that means you have to wait.

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Worth getting? I think the black looks fantastic. I looked at some other colors yesterday, but kept my black 920. I love the way the matte finish looks.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I went with black because I don't want the whole world looking at my yellow phone. And I don't want every thief seeing my red phone from across the room. A phone is a tool, not a status symbol. I know, I know. I'm just lying to myself. But you couldn't give me any phone but black, gray or white.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
For me the gorgeous 16GB 8X would be the same price as a black 920. I don't drive so won't need turn by turn and all that. I doubt I would use the 32GB space it seems overkill. If a yellow or cyan or white 920 were to roll out in Canada I would definitely get one of those. But for now there is only the black and there may never be any other colors in Canada. So would it even be worth it to get a black 920? Like how bad does it look in real life?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have the Black and the main reason I chose it is because it has a matte finish. Only two of them have that. Personal preference on that. As for the phones themselves, I think the bigger question is which phone you would rather have. The Nokia is thicker (tho not "that" thick) and heavier than the 8X. I personally prefer a phone that's a little heavier. Makes it easier to hold but if you like putting your phone in your shirt pocket, that could be a problem. The 8X is better in that case. I haven't used the 8X obviously but I CAN tell you that I love my L920 (size and all)

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Black makes the phone more inconspicuous (as much so as a giant phone like the 920 can be). I prefer it for not calling attention to myself when taking candid photos with it. Yellow or red seems like a good snatch-and-grab magnet depending if you live in an area where that sort of thing happens (unlikely in Canada, I guess ;)

njblackberry

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the black looks great. As said, professional, sleek and I love it.
One of my co-workers has the cyan one. His boss looked at it and said "really?"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss