But I am hearing a lot of hardware and software issues and might have to go Android next go... Tempted to wait for the next Nokia phones but it seems like their reputation is slipping recently. Truly wanted a good windows phone with the best camera, but it's hard with all the stuff im reading, especially the dead pixels and "clicking". Thoughts from users?
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    12-05-2012 11:04 AM
    I think you're "hearing" these things in the wrong place.

You're browsing forums, where people come to complain about these things. While some problems do exist.. this board seems to magnify the degree at which they stand.

I personally have a device with zero flaws. You just have to be realistic.

The camera is incredible (In comparison to other mobile phones. This is not a DSLR.)

The battery is good. (It lasts me from Morning when I wake, until night when I go to sleep. You will charge it every night.)

Hardware is sturdy. (It's not a bullet proof vest, but it's going to make it two years on your contract. No doubt about that.)

It's not 100% perfect, but it's awfully close. Also, we have NOKIA on our side with this device.

You're going to be hard-pressed to find a better device.
    12-05-2012 11:08 AM
    If you base your decision on what people say on forums, you'd never buy any phone because you will not find a single phone that doesn't have a multitude of complaints about it on forums like this.

I'd humbly suggest you look at some reputable reviews instead and go to the store to try the phones out yourself, then decide.
    12-05-2012 11:39 AM
    There's lots of us with phones with no issues whatsoever, but we're not going to be posting that on a regular basis! :-)

As socialcarpet says, go try the phone out for yourself at a store. If you like it, give it a couple weeks. It is indeed a great phone.
    12-05-2012 11:42 AM
    I just got my lumia 920 on saturday and i switched from the iphone 4s.. i am LOVING it... when i first got it, i was a bit nervous because i did read these forums too and and people having all these problems, and this and that.. but i decided since i had a 14-day grace period of sorts, I would try it out and if it didn't work, either try an 8X (because i have win8 desktop and a surface tablet, and im planning on going all in on windows here and trying to have faith in them) or look around at different devices (or keep my 4s if all else failed).

When i first got it, everything was fine. But it did get hot, and it did have a dying battery like people were saying and i was very nervous that i may not have the "dream" phone i have been hearing all these stories about.. The phone itself was still VERY good.. the camera is awesome, i love the big screen and the display is very nice. The scrolling on it is just so fast and fluid and the live tiles are just too cool.. I would recommend going to an AT&T store and play with the models on the wall, but that's off topic..

The past couple of days I was trying to bench mark my phone and test it with lots of use, and without lots of use. I can only go by the battery meter that the phone comes with and if that is broken or not i don't know.. It does seem to be telling people 25 days and that doesn't seem right to me but again, not the point. So i was basically getting 5-6 hours with moderate and light use which did not seem good because i work 8-9 hours and i don't want to have to bring a charger with me to work everyday to charge in the middle of the day and then bring it home and charge it. So last night i decided to download the battery discharge app.. basically i left it open and it did everything it could to get my battery to 0% as fast as possible.. i woke up this morning and the phone was at 0% and wouldn't even turn on when i pressed the button.. I brought the phone in to work at 8 AM and started charging it.. I took it off the charger at noon at 100%.. it's now 1 pm and i haven't touched the phone at all.. i've used it to check the time a few times and i got 1 text in the past hour.. the phone still says the battery is at 100% and i have 11 hours left. I am HOPING that this resolved the issue with the battery and i'll post in the battery thread my results from this test.

I wouldn't judge it by all the problems in these forums though, as stated above.. Try it out, i highly recommend it!
    12-05-2012 12:12 PM
    Go to each forum, every phone has issues.
    ttsoldier likes this.
    12-05-2012 12:25 PM
    But I am hearing a lot of hardware and software issues and might have to go Android next go... Tempted to wait for the next Nokia phones but it seems like their reputation is slipping recently. Truly wanted a good windows phone with the best camera, but it's hard with all the stuff im reading, especially the dead pixels and "clicking". Thoughts from users?
    I wouldn't listen to that crap. You always just "see" the negative stuff on these boards. I haven't had any issues at all and I HAVE had a lot of Android phones. Trust me when I tell you that this phone performs far better than any of those others, including the Galaxy S3 which I just gave up. Very nice phone but the Windows OS is just more responsive and sleek. Don't take my word for it though. Go into the store and play with both. These things are always just people's opinions but in MHO, this is the best phone I've ever owned. It is also the ONLY phone that I sat around and played with for like 48 hours non-stop because it just enthralled me so much. The integration with Windows 8 desktop is great. There are some software things I would change but i assume that improvements would be made going forward. Right now it's a darn good phone and i wouldn't trade it for anything out there (no joke). P.S. Keep one thing in mind. Just like the iPhone, the best way to have a great experience is to emerse yourself in the entire culture (windows phone, windows desktop and windows tablet if you get one) oh and of course SkyDrive vs Google Drive. It's not a requirement but it WILL enhance the experience.
    12-05-2012 01:34 PM
    If you are looking for device opinions and discussions, its probably best to stay away from any forum, especially during the launch window. Come back for discussions after the excitement has faded and the dust has settled.

Anyone who is having issues with their device is going to find a place to post something negative or try to resolve their issues, which is why this forum is full of people complaining. There are going to be a hundred "I'm returning my device" posts because of course, everyone is within their return period so they HAVE to make a decision within a limited time frame, and will post their frustration on forums. I don't know why, as most of us don't care. Just return your phone and move on. That's totally fine, they can complain all they want, but the rest of us that aren't having issues are too busy enjoying our device to make constant posts on forums.

I've had no issues with my Lumia 920, and I have to say, its probably the best phone I have ever owned, definitely the best Windows Phone device I have owned. The battery has been awesome, the screen is beautiful, the camera is great (and awesome at low-light shots), its fast, and fluid, and as delightful as the day I got it.
    12-05-2012 02:04 PM
    There are enough hardware and software issues to make anyone leery. Forums or not, this phone has had a higher number of different issues with it than any other I have ever looked into, and I tend to keep up on my phones pretty decently.

That said, assuming you are buying on contract, you have nothing to lose, except maybe a restocking fee. If the phone intrigues you, give it a test run. In two weeks, you should be able to decide whether the phone is a good fit and wether the problems, if you experience any, are worth dealing with.
    cameradork likes this.
    12-05-2012 02:09 PM
    I wouldn't listen to that crap. You always just "see" the negative stuff on these boards. I haven't had any issues at all and I HAVE had a lot of Android phones. Trust me when I tell you that this phone performs far better than any of those others, including the Galaxy S3 which I just gave up. Very nice phone but the Windows OS is just more responsive and sleek. Don't take my word for it though. Go into the store and play with both. These things are always just people's opinions but in MHO, this is the best phone I've ever owned. It is also the ONLY phone that I sat around and played with for like 48 hours non-stop because it just enthralled me so much. The integration with Windows 8 desktop is great. There are some software things I would change but i assume that improvements would be made going forward. Right now it's a darn good phone and i wouldn't trade it for anything out there (no joke). P.S. Keep one thing in mind. Just like the iPhone, the best way to have a great experience is to emerse yourself in the entire culture (windows phone, windows desktop and windows tablet if you get one) oh and of course SkyDrive vs Google Drive. It's not a requirement but it WILL enhance the experience.
    yes that's the main reason. I have Windows 8 and have a lot of memory on my SkyDrive which I use frequently. I love the office app on windows phone as well. I'll wait a bit but this post was encouraging.
    12-05-2012 02:10 PM
    yes that's the main reason. I have Windows 8 and have a lot of memory on my SkyDrive which I use frequently. I love the office app on windows phone as well. I'll wait a bit but this post was encouraging.
    Look, everyone has there opinion on what they do and don't like and everyone has their own tolerance level of every little thing. You get two weeks to determine if you like it so use it. I'm an IT person who expects my devices to perform in an acceptable manner. While there are some features I'd like to see with this phone, the overall experience with it and Windows 8 have made this a great experience. I can buy music in the XBox music store and find it downloading into the same on my desktop as soon as I open the app. SkyDrive and Hotmail Calendar/Mail/To Dos also sync flawlessly. The biggest bonus for me was the integration of OneNote on the phone with OneNote on my desktop. It's wonderful for my needs and lets me sync notes with text/audio/pics smoothly and with little effort. My sales rep in the store had a Lumia so he was showing me a bunch of things and got me up and running. From there I just rummaged around the internet learning what I could. It's just be an awsome experience so far.
    12-05-2012 02:38 PM
    Hey, I just wanted to pop in and give you an update on the battery issue I mentioned in my post above. Based on that same charge from yesterday, my phone says i am at 39% battery left at 8 AM the next day. So not a full 24 hours but still more than the 11 that it estimated. Funny because my phone now says i have 1 day 9 hours left on my charge. People say it takes awhile for the battery indicator to "learn" to be more accurate in hours.

Last night I went out to dinner with my friends and I showed them my phone.. we played around with the live tiles, the camera, played some games, and i got a few phone calls and texted / facebook chatted liberally.. I am VERY pleased with this as my iphone 4s only lasted about 12-14 hours depending and I had to charge it nightly or it wouldn't make it to the next day.

As I said above, i DID NOT charge my lumia 920 last night just to see how it would do with ~8 hours of 0 use at all, not even to check the time. I forgot to check the battery % last night so i don't know how much it drained over night but clearly not the 5-6% drains over idle time i was getting before!
    12-06-2012 07:08 AM
    Your concerns are really unfounded. All models have bad apples, and all the apples fall into the forums. Thats all.

Get one and see what you think, return it if you dont like it. Personally Ive picked the 920 over my old phone, the SGS3, and Id do so again.
    12-06-2012 08:08 AM