STAY AWAY from Photo Beamer and Ringtone Maker!!!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have both apps installed and have had for days now (well, I got PhotoBeamer the day it was out and Ringtone Maker yesterday) and I have seen no difference in battery drain. Wordament, now, there's an app that can drain a battery, but that only happens when I'm actually playing the game. Just sitting there it's fine. :)

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So this thread was born based on a single persons anecdotal evidence of a couple of installed apps? That's... cool.

FWIW my "battery remaining" estimate is always wacky. It seems to go with whatever you were doing that minute (from what I can tell). I have seen it jump from multipls days to a handful of hours just doing some simple tasks. I would be willing to bet that it was installing these apps and it calculated time remaining based on the download and processing neeed to get the apps installed. I could be wrong, but either way, it isn't something that has been too reliable for me.

LevSer

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
What about Skype? Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Make sure under Settings --> Accounts none are in a permanent "sync" status.

Skype was installed on the day I got the phone so I don't think that has much to do with it. I haven't had any conversations (video, voice or message) by skype over the phone yet so the skype usage should be pretty consistant. I also haven't manually launched the app in two days.

A second notice is that I used the pro version of the Battery App by Alex Golesh to "measure" this and it seems to be pretty quick with updating the estimated time. If I go from an idle state into the battery app it will give me a pretty standard estimate. If I then go out and launch a bunch of apps, then open the battery app again it will give me a new, lower, estimate.

I think Alex's app provides a very current estimate rather than something based off of hours of previous usage during the day. Not that it should matter since, my usage was the same in both cases.

EDIT:

So this thread was born based on a single persons anecdotal evidence of a couple of installed apps? That's... cool.

FWIW my "battery remaining" estimate is always wacky. It seems to go with whatever you were doing that minute (from what I can tell). I have seen it jump from multipls days to a handful of hours just doing some simple tasks. I would be willing to bet that it was installing these apps and it calculated time remaining based on the download and processing neeed to get the apps installed. I could be wrong, but either way, it isn't something that has been too reliable for me.

Well the poor battery life was experienced the day after installing and trying the apps as well as trying the wireless charger. It wasn't as if I installed the app and then immediately looked for a drop in the estimate. I did the before/after estimate check a day after the app was installed. So in your case the estimate should decrease after uninstalling since that if anything would consume more power when compared to sitting idle on a desk.

I'll try doing some more tests tonight so that I can conclude wether this is due to the apps, the charger, or if I'm perhaps schizophrenic :D

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
What about Skype? Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Make sure under Settings --> Accounts none are in a permanent "sync" status.

I have my exchange account setup to constantly sync, since work pays my phone bill, and I have what I would consider relatively good day to day battery performance.

I have a theory that most of the sudden battery drains are probably the result of extended periods of poor signal or buttons getting pressed while in a pocket.

adroit9

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd just like to point out that the battery usage time left feature calculates the time remaining by taking into account your current usage. As in, if you've just been watching HD videos, your usage time left will be significantly lower, as it's your usage time left IF YOU CONTINUE TO USE IT THE SAME WAY. If you've just been checking email or texting, you'll see that usage time left number skyrocket. The phone isn't psychic and can't predict how you're going to use it, so it calculates based on your most recent activity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs