12-05-2012 07:12 PM
60 123
tools
    anything else you find out let me know !
    12-05-2012 02:36 PM
    I am actually trying to set this up myself. So this is actually supposed to alert me in the form of a text (SMS)? I seem to have both facebook and twitter linked (when I click either one it takes me directly to my FB or Twitter, respectively, and it's logged in) but I also don't seem to get a an SMS update?
    SMS notifications are set up the the Twitter and FB apps themselves, not on Windows Phone settings.
    12-05-2012 02:37 PM
    SMS notifications are set up the the Twitter and FB apps themselves, not on Windows Phone settings.
    Aha! I sort of figured that I was was messing with my settings while logged in. To be clear, I can change this from the website right? I don't HAVE to do it from the app?
    12-05-2012 02:39 PM
    I don't mean to sound short, but if a twitter app is enough to make you give up an entire operating system, well, let's just say we have differing opinions on priorities. I just can't believe how many people put social networking as their #1.
    Isn't Windows Phone all about putting people first AND built around you?

Social networking is the heart of WP. Other than that there is nothing to attract i.e. Crap enterprise support, horrible entertainment value and lets not even think about lack of apps!
    12-05-2012 02:43 PM
    Really?

Hmm... I have no idea why you're not getting notifications. I get notifications for every Tweet mention, direct message, Facebook wall post, and Facebook reply.

This is the same MS Account that's linked to your phone, correct?
    yes - same and only one!
    12-05-2012 02:45 PM
    go with iphone, i fyou dont like it now, you wont like it later.
    NOT TRUE!

What if... What if.... Miraculous updates change this?
    12-05-2012 02:46 PM
    Windows Phone is very efficient, and you may grow to love it. But it does have a learning curve if you are used to different data management philosophies.

Here is how you can get your Twitter notifications.

Do you have your Twitter linked to your Microsoft Account?

If not, go into your email on your regular desktop computer and go to the upper right hand corner and click on your name.
    Then choose Edit Profile
    Choose Add Accounts

Add your Twitter Account.

Doing this will give you an alert, by sending you a text message.
    Wont the network provider charge her?
    12-05-2012 02:47 PM
    I use social networking for keeping in touch with those I know and for news updates, etc etc

I dont use my phone for videos or music or gaming....
    12-05-2012 02:47 PM
    I use social networking for keeping in touch with those I know and for news updates, etc etc

I dont use my phone for videos or music or gaming....
    If you told this to me, I would know you want a WP as nothing in this world is meant to "integrate" people you care about as good as WP!

But being in your place totally sucks. I bet if some of us WP-users tried to post in FML, we would top it!
    12-05-2012 02:49 PM
    I don't mean to sound short, but if a twitter app is enough to make you give up an entire operating system, well, let's just say we have differing opinions on priorities. I just can't believe how many people put social networking as their #1.
    First thing I did to my phone was to kill any social apps dissected the entire os for data with b/g apps. If I could I would love to be able to trash embedded apps within the OS.
    12-05-2012 02:53 PM
    Aha! I sort of figured that I was was messing with my settings while logged in. To be clear, I can change this from the website right? I don't HAVE to do it from the app?
    Yes, go on the website and in Twitter under notifications, you can get a SMS for just about anything. Same with Facebook. You probably can't do it in the apps.

And YES, social networking in Windows Phone is built in and great. Facebook app is a bit weak, but heck, you have the People hub and group and individual tiles.
    12-05-2012 02:55 PM
    I know my husbands phone (be it an iphone) will do what I want - maybe I'll wait till my next upgrade for my wp?
    12-05-2012 02:55 PM
    First thing I did to my phone was to kill any social apps dissected the entire os for data with b/g apps. If I could I would love to be able to trash embedded apps within the OS.
    While I don't completely understand what you said, I think you mean you don't want social networking embedded in the Windows Phone OS. If that's the case, why did you get a Windows Phone?
    11B1P likes this.
    12-05-2012 02:58 PM
    Isn't Windows Phone all about putting people first AND built around you?

Social networking is the heart of WP. Other than that there is nothing to attract i.e. Crap enterprise support, horrible entertainment value and lets not even think about lack of apps!
    In terms of integration, it IS integrated well. Quite a lot better than any of the other options, frankly. Push notifications are a problem from within the apps themselves, all done by a third party. Be upset by that.

WP philosophy started with getting you unglued from your phone. I feel lack of push in social media (talking built in here) is a conscious effort on their part to keep your phone from buzzing off the hook. If you want to see updates, your "Me" or "People" tile is just a tap away.

Interestingly, iOS had a **** poor Facebook app for YEARS and only got something better in the last 3 months. All of the sudden people are incredibly critical of the facebook app for WP. Twitter, on iOS, is still terrible, always has been.
    12-05-2012 03:01 PM
    I know my husbands phone (be it an iphone) will do what I want - maybe I'll wait till my next upgrade for my wp?
    So go for it. Nobody is stopping you. I fail to see why you need to keep repeating yourself here, honestly?
    12-05-2012 03:02 PM
    So go for it. Nobody is stopping you. I fail to see why you need to keep repeating yourself here, honestly?
    Thanks a lot - I was just looking for help

I'm out.
    Made in flanders likes this.
    12-05-2012 03:10 PM

I'm out.
    I've used the iPhone and it doesn't compare to WP8.

Regardless, cya, no more posts needed from you
    12-05-2012 03:13 PM

I'm out.
    What you were doing is repeating multiple times that the iPhone can do everything you want. Based on what you told us, I agree. Enjoy it. I have enjoyed iPhone for half a decade and continue to enjoy my 4S to this day.
    12-05-2012 03:16 PM
    pretty pathetic that people give up on a phone just because of an app
    12-05-2012 03:22 PM
    Twabbit?
    12-05-2012 03:26 PM
    Uhh...because it was her thread. Although she received some answers promoting how wonderful windows phone is for social media, there was nothing shown to back this up.

Text notifications linked through your MS account? That seems archaic for being part of the ultimate social networking suite.

I'm one week into using WP and don't use FB or Twitter, on any OS, but plan on it in the near future. I would expect notifications to appear on live tiles as they appear when a text or email are received. Maybe they do, but it doesn't sound like it. OS owners should hold first party app developers accountable for delivering the complete experience being mentioned in this thread if they themselves are identifying themselves as such.
    12-05-2012 03:29 PM
    Uhh...because it was her thread. Although she received some answers promoting how wonderful windows phone is for social media, there was nothing shown to back this up.

Text notifications linked through your MS account? That seems archaic for being part of the ultimate social networking suite.

I'm one week into using WP and don't use FB or Twitter, on any OS, but plan on it in the near future. I would expect notifications to appear on live tiles as they appear when a text or email are received. Maybe they do, but it doesn't sound like it. OS owners should hold first party app developers accountable for delivering the complete experience being mentioned in this thread if they themselves are identifying themselves as such.
    Still, almost every response was "iPhone does it better". y response was, you are right? Why keep repeating it? There is no sense coming here telling us how the iPhone does it better over and over again.

I absolutely agree, by the way, that texts, as a form of notification, are archaic. That is not, and never was, my point.

As far as live tiles are concerned, notifications there leave a lot to be desired, at least for me. Apparently this is an OS thing... there can only be one notification and text size is limited (devs are not givena choice). So really, if you are getting multiple emails, texts, etc. live tiles, as they currently are, are not a good way to get a quick look at the content of what is coming through.

PS, love the avatar :)
    12-05-2012 03:55 PM
    IPhones are so 5 years ago :)
    12-05-2012 03:55 PM
    Some people are dicks. I hope Angela wasn't hot.
    tk-093 likes this.
    12-05-2012 03:56 PM

Actually the groups feature is the best social experience I have had on a phone. You do know if you enter your FB and Twitter info into the WP8 accounts it will link them to your contacts right? Set up a group and add the people you want and you get all their latest updates in one spot. Nothing on iOS or Android compares from what I have experienced.

I rarely log into FB but with how WP8 ties them together I don't have to, it's all integrated.

To be honest, you just may need to do some more research on the features and functionality of WP8.
    12-05-2012 04:52 PM
60 123