Thinking about giving it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So go for it. Nobody is stopping you. I fail to see why you need to keep repeating yourself here, honestly?

Uhh...because it was her thread. Although she received some answers promoting how wonderful windows phone is for social media, there was nothing shown to back this up.

Text notifications linked through your MS account? That seems archaic for being part of the ultimate social networking suite.

I'm one week into using WP and don't use FB or Twitter, on any OS, but plan on it in the near future. I would expect notifications to appear on live tiles as they appear when a text or email are received. Maybe they do, but it doesn't sound like it. OS owners should hold first party app developers accountable for delivering the complete experience being mentioned in this thread if they themselves are identifying themselves as such.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Uhh...because it was her thread. Although she received some answers promoting how wonderful windows phone is for social media, there was nothing shown to back this up.

Text notifications linked through your MS account? That seems archaic for being part of the ultimate social networking suite.

I'm one week into using WP and don't use FB or Twitter, on any OS, but plan on it in the near future. I would expect notifications to appear on live tiles as they appear when a text or email are received. Maybe they do, but it doesn't sound like it. OS owners should hold first party app developers accountable for delivering the complete experience being mentioned in this thread if they themselves are identifying themselves as such.

Still, almost every response was "iPhone does it better". y response was, you are right? Why keep repeating it? There is no sense coming here telling us how the iPhone does it better over and over again.

I absolutely agree, by the way, that texts, as a form of notification, are archaic. That is not, and never was, my point.

As far as live tiles are concerned, notifications there leave a lot to be desired, at least for me. Apparently this is an OS thing... there can only be one notification and text size is limited (devs are not givena choice). So really, if you are getting multiple emails, texts, etc. live tiles, as they currently are, are not a good way to get a quick look at the content of what is coming through.

PS, love the avatar :)

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Actually the groups feature is the best social experience I have had on a phone. You do know if you enter your FB and Twitter info into the WP8 accounts it will link them to your contacts right? Set up a group and add the people you want and you get all their latest updates in one spot. Nothing on iOS or Android compares from what I have experienced.

I rarely log into FB but with how WP8 ties them together I don't have to, it's all integrated.

To be honest, you just may need to do some more research on the features and functionality of WP8.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Never get an iphone if you care about being ripped off. Go Nexus 4.

Nonsense. LG Phones are trash and the Nexus 4 doesn't even have LTE.

The iPhone is a fine choice, but I'd stick with the Lumia a bit longer. Rowi is an excellent Twitter client BTW, but if you need to be notified with every single tweet I don't know what to tell you.

Windows Phone is more designed with the idea that you might just have some kind of life outside digging into your phone constantly, it's kind of intended to make things easy to do at a glance and not to demand too much of your attention. If you are the kind of person who wants and expects notifications on absolutely everything constantly and wants to spend most of their day with their face in their phone, then Windows Phone may not be the best choice honestly.

The iPhone is excellent as far as app capabilities. I'm sure it will notify the **** out of you, if that's what you want. It's a well-made phone too and Apple's support is excellent.

I'd think carefully before buying an Android device. My experience is that the quality of the user experience on them varies wildly depending on which device you choose, which version of the OS it's stuck on and what apps you want to use. Samsung seems to make the most popular Android devices, so you might look at theirs. People also like HTC's Android phones.

If I were you, I'd stick it out with the Lumia IF you really like everything else about Windows Phone, i.e. the tiles, the way it works etc.

If you are kind of indifferent about the Windows Phone OS, then maybe consider iPhone.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If you are the kind of person who wants and expects notifications on absolutely everything constantly and wants to spend most of their day with their face in their phone, then Windows Phone may not be the best choice honestly.

Again, reinvented "around you" and putting "people first" - what if I want to be the first one to wish my girl friend on her excellent photo she took on Instagram and shared on FB because of course she knows that I don't have instagram on WP (isn't she caring? ;))? Now, in that scenario if WP was intentionally not giving the notifications to me, to not bother me, it isn't putting my people first really, is it? My gf's really cool pic will get about 10 likes and 50 comments from her android and iPhones user friends where as I will get that notification about 30 minutes later. So when I comment I'm late on appreciating my "people" who are so loving that they put their Instagram photos for me to see on Fb!

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually the groups feature is the best social experience I have had on a phone. You do know if you enter your FB and Twitter info into the WP8 accounts it will link them to your contacts right? Set up a group and add the people you want and you get all their latest updates in one spot. Nothing on iOS or Android compares from what I have experienced.

I rarely log into FB but with how WP8 ties them together I don't have to, it's all integrated.

To be honest, you just may need to do some more research on the features and functionality of WP8.

I think the concern is push notifications. I agree, WP brings social networks together much better than any other OS, BY FAR. But that is not what seems to be the request (which is fine). these users want push notifications. These are unavailable in the integrated facebook and twitter client and perform extremely poorly in the downloadable clients.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Again, reinvented "around you" and putting "people first" - what if I want to be the first one to wish my girl friend on her excellent photo she took on Instagram and shared on FB because of course she knows that I don't have instagram on WP (isn't she caring? ;))? Now, in that scenario if WP was intentionally not giving the notifications to me, to not bother me, it isn't putting my people first really, is it? My gf's really cool pic will get about 10 likes and 50 comments from her android and iPhones user friends where as I will get that notification about 30 minutes later. So when I comment I'm late on appreciating my "people" who are so loving that they put their Instagram photos for me to see on Fb!

In your opinion, putting people first means giving you a minute by minute on what others are doing on FB. That's fine. I guess my point is, not everyone feels MS has dropped the ball on their mission statement because we don't feel it's necessary.

But I get your point. You want choice. I can argue, however, that not being able to set a different default browser, or create my own theme colors, or set custom text message notifications for my contacts means that "I am not put first". ****, one can make that argument about just about anything they are unhappy with in the OS.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Nope that doesn't make sense.

Things that don't personally satisfy me has nothing to do with not bring put first.

Putting "People" in the centre is design philosophy here. You pin your contact to start screen and you see everything that connects you to that person. Sms, emails, calls, messenger, fb chat, skype, their status updates, their photo updates - putting people first!

That's why we always have been arguing since pre-nodo that "we don't need sea of app icons" because we don't have to open 5 apps to see what our fav person in life is upto. We open that person's tile/card & voila! The tile flips with anything new etc.

Now if I pin my gf and I cant put her first, I'm 30 mins late in knowing what she did, how is that better than another guy opening 5 apps when he gets 5 notification vs my one tile that flips after 30 minutes if I'm lucky!

edjr07

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I also wonder if the blackberry torch did the notifications that she is looking for?

Blackberry has awesome notifications that are very fast. I have a 9900 Bold and my 920 and the berry will get me notifications sometimes up to 5-10 min faster.

Social networking is #1 for a lot of reasons, the crazy thing is that if thats reason that the OP wants to use a device then this operating system is not meeting their needs. an operating system that is something useful and when simple tasks like checking twitter become unsatisfactory then why stay.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Now if I pin my gf and I cant put her first, I'm 30 mins late in knowing what she did, how is that better than another guy opening 5 apps when he gets 5 notification vs my one tile that flips after 30 minutes if I'm lucky!
It is better because, you tap the tile, and instead of opening those 5 apps, all of the information is there, in one convenient place. You didn't just open five apps. You opened one.

By the way, I am not against you in thinking push notifications are valuable and should be there (I am not sure I ever made that clear). I just disagree that a lack of push notifications is necessarily against Microsoft's vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos