12-19-2012 02:55 PM
66 123
tools
    I've only had one other smart phone, and it was an iPhone 3GS. I do, however, have a little experience with Android as I have an Android tablet.

Moving from the 3GS to the Lumia 920 is not exactly a fair comparison to make, as the 3GS is comparatively ancient, but I'll try. One other note, my wife does have an iPhone 5 so I have a little bit of experience with that.

Speed is obviously much better and more fluid on the Lumia than my old phone. I can't say how it would compare with a current competing device though. I haven't looked at my wife's phone enough to really experiment with that.

I can say that the screen size is amazing, and even the iPhone 5 can't compete with that. Of course, to get a bigger screen you need a bigger phone, but after nearly a month of using the Lumia, I don't even notice it's size and weight.

The camera is gorgeous in low-light situations and middle of the pack in normal-light situations, at least compared to current devices. It's leaps and bounds better than my 3GS was in every way.

As far as user experience, it's really great. The start screen's customization blows me away. I still tinker with it trying to find what really suits me. Not in a frustrating way, but a fun way. I had zero issue adapting to the new UX, but I pick up new things pretty easily. Someone who doesn't may have a harder time of it.

Apps are lacking, but not really. What I mean by that is that there are certain glamor apps from iOS that aren't on WP, but there are quality substitutions. The only thing that you can't find a suitable replacement for, in my experience is Instagram, but I've gone a month without it and it hasn't affected me at all. No, there isn't a flipboard app, but there are others to replace it. Would I download flipboard if it came along? Yes, but I'm certainly not going to let that affect my phone decision anymore than the lack of Instagram.

To wrap it up:

Pros:

• User Experience
      • Start Screen Customization
      • Live Tiles
      • Lock Screen Customization

• Screen Size
    • Speed & Fluidity
    • Camera
    • Office
    • Social Media integration (I saw someone mention the FB app is lacking, who cares you don't need it, just go to your people hub)
    • Dynamic lockscreen pictures through Bing (also a minor negative, see further down)
    • Wireless charging
    • NFC
    • It's a gorgeous phone inside and out.
    • Skydrive

Very Minor Issues:
    • Would like to see less empty space between the top of the screen & where your tiles begin when starting.
      • Where they are now cuts off the bottom row, but if it were moved up a bit, to right under the clock you could get a whole small tile row in rather than a partial one.

• My Bing lockscreen pic doesn't update every day like it should. I basically have to manually update it.
    • I'd like to see separate volume controls for ringer & other sounds like music & games.
    • My notification count that shows up on my Facebook tile doesn't drop off when I go in and look at notifications. It just keeps adding them.

Bigger Issues:

• Lack of some Apps (Insta, Flipboard & Fitocracy are my big 3, although again, not dealbreakers)
    • Lack of a notification center
    • Camera during normal/high-light situations is not as crisp as it should be. Hoping for a fix.

Here is my recommendation. If you have invested a lot into another ecosystem by purchasing a ton of apps or you have an iPad, a Macbook & an iPhone, stay with what you had. Also if you don't pick up on new technology well and have been using one OS for years, stick with what is familiar to you.

However, if you haven't invested into a lot of paid apps, you aren't bound by one company and you don't have any issues picking up new tech, I'd say go for it. It's a better phone, IMO.
    12-07-2012 02:58 PM
    Thanks for the responses guys, it's the little things that are scaring me off. Like broken FB notifications, no forward button or tab caching in the browser, universal volume. I just think they might bug me so much.
    12-08-2012 11:39 AM

• No "iMessenger/BBM" MS equivalent.

Yes, there is. Creating a Room via the People Hub will use the WLM backend to send messages to those in your Room.
    12-08-2012 01:07 PM
    Thanks for the responses guys, it's the little things that are scaring me off. Like broken FB notifications, no forward button or tab caching in the browser, universal volume. I just think they might bug me so much.
    In that case, I'd wait a generation if I were you. Check back next time you're up for contract renewal - I'm sure most if not all of these things will be fixed by then.
    12-08-2012 03:51 PM
    Honest answer. If you can live without the fancy transition animations of IOS and WP8, go with Android. Get a Nexus 4. It's blazing fast, although windows just pop up without a fancy animation sometimes. It has the best hardware by far in the Qualcomm S4 pro, wireless charging, 2gb of ram, screen that looks just as good as anything out there. All that for $299 unlocked. You just can't beat that.

Sure, some WP8 and IOS fans like socialcarpet might give you some terrible advice and harp on the fact that it has no 4g LTE anywhere except in Canada, but what they think doesn't follow logic. They suggest you pay twice as much for an iphone 5 or put up with poor applications or brick phones with a WP8 device.
    Well depends on what you really want. Prior BMW owners are not normally going to be future Kia buyers ;-)

WP8 is new and any new OS will have growing pains. As users we need a working device no doubt but it will take a few OS releases to iron them all out much like the original iPhone.

I know Nokia has missed the bus badly during the smartphone era, but that might exactly what it required to give the company a jolt. Comparing the design and build quality of a Lumia 920 to ANY LG made phone is probably deeply insulting to Nokia if I were Mr. Elop. Would one buy an LG dishwasher or a Bosch? The underlying argument is the same. The Nokia 920 is a marvel of engineering design and practicality.
    12-08-2012 04:37 PM
    Having both the Lumia 920 and Nexus 4 in my possession, I must say that the Nexus 4 feels infinitely better in my hands than the Lumia. I don't know how to otherwise describe it than it just feels right. It's lighter and it's probably the best phone I've ever owned in terms of feel. LG hit a home run with the design (although I could do without the chrome ring around the bezel. Not that the Lumia 920 is a slouch or anything - just a little too heavy for my tastes.
    12-08-2012 11:41 PM
    I've had the iPhone (and upgraded to all other iPhones) since day one. But when the iPhone 4S was announced I was really disappointed (the iPhone 5 should've been the iPhone 4S) and a couple of months later I got the Galaxy Nexus because it fascinated me (thanks to The Verge) and I would only want the pure Google experience and not Touch Wiz or Sense.

Coming from the iPhone I was really disappointed by the quality of the 3rd party Android apps. They almost always looked and felt worse, dated (Gingerbread style design), open-sourcy, etc. The functionality is all there, but the design was just not comparable with iOS where the 3rd party apps feel like they are part of the OS. After almost a year with the Galaxy Nexus I got used to it and frankly most apps did get updated with the Google designed Holo theme. Still the OS and the apps feel open-sourcy (I don't know how to better describe it) and animations don't feel natural (they are fast, but they don't look and feel modern) like on iOS.

Then I got the Lumia 920. I was already used to make a step down in 3rd party apps, so going from iOS to Android to WP is a good way to accept the shortcomings of the Store :) Some apps are really great looking and have great functionality, but to be honest, most of them are lacking big time. They can't be compared to iOS or Android in functionality. This comes next to the fact that many localized apps aren't available and you have to resort to the browser. The browser on the other hand doesn't always render sites like on iOS or Android, giving you an even worse experience of the site you would normally have an app for.

But..... the OS is really amazing. It is something different, really different from iOS and Android which in my opinion work (and to some extent look) the same. The design is really consistent (Android is not) and the animations are maybe even on a higher level than iOS. The integration of different services and accounts is really good. I'm very impressed with what Microsoft has done here. Of course the OS isn't ready and some 3rd party apps (that are WP7 leftovers) make the OS feel unstable, but when they get updated and the first fixes are pushed out, the OS is a great contender for iOS and Android.

The only thing left are the apps. Like I said, they aren't on the same level and developers need to really be motivated to step up their game. The OS has a lot of potential, but in my opinion, if developers don't see a reason to invest in WP, it won't have a future for me. To be honest, when I really think about it, I feel like I'm making a lot of compromises to use WP when I compare it to the iPhone. Right now I love the OS so much that I can live with it, but the big question for me is: how long am I willing to compromise....
    12-09-2012 06:13 AM
    Honest answer. If you can live without the fancy transition animations of IOS and WP8, go with Android. Get a Nexus 4. It's blazing fast, although windows just pop up without a fancy animation sometimes. It has the best hardware by far in the Qualcomm S4 pro, wireless charging, 2gb of ram, screen that looks just as good as anything out there. All that for $299 unlocked. You just can't beat that. Sure, some WP8 and IOS fans like socialcarpet might give you some terrible advice and harp on the fact that it has no 4g LTE anywhere except in Canada, but what they think doesn't follow logic. They suggest you pay twice as much for an iphone 5 or put up with poor applications or brick phones with a WP8 device.
    Honest answer ... just like I skipped the iPhone 4, 4S,5 because it can't be dropped, I'll skip the Nexus 4. I have kids, hate gettibg case, and that phone eould be dropped. Nope sorry Nexus 4 (snd the iPhone's) in my opinion aren't mobile. Mobile means it should be able to br dropped.
    12-09-2012 07:37 AM
    I still have mixed feelings (going from my galaxy s with cyanogen mod 10 on android 4.1.2). WP8 is great, intuitive and different system but im missing the android freedom from time to time. Also the SGS battery life is a lot better than my lumia 920. My lumia lasts 1,5 day with normal use and my old samsung with 2 year old battery still lasts 3 days (with more options on like wi-fi etc.).
    12-09-2012 08:13 AM
    I just switched from an iPhone 5 to the 920 and so far I LOVE it!!!! One issue I'm having is the weird vibrate feature? Feels like the insides are rattling. Anyone else notice that vibrate is kind of weird?
    12-09-2012 09:22 AM
    Just moved from iphone 4 to Lumia 920.

Overall a great change and I echo most of the comments already posted but there are a few elements I like better on wp8 that not too many have mentioned.

- Multitasking seems better thought out than iOS. Really like the preview view of each open app
    - Have a dedicated web search hardware button is refreshing coming from iOS (just wish it allowed to switch provider to google!)
    - Seems superficial but the ability to change colour theme is great, especially since the colour accent is carried throughout every app
    - Dolby sound processing does make a difference with the right earphones. Adds a lot of sound separation and also makes audiobooks sound a lot better

Overall really happy with the choice (absolutely no issues with weight or size even though I was concerned before purchase)

The things that prevent me from recommending 920/wp8 to 'normal' people are:

- No whatsapp or spotify, particularly since I was the one to get a lot of friends and family hooked on these!
    - Battery issues - average person should not have to go to forums to check on things like delete/reinstall facebook/skype apps to stop server loops, should just 'work'
    - Better designed OS but more immature than iOS - can't imagine explaining to family why the mac sync program keep crashing, why nokia maps drains your battery in a few hours if you don't kill it or why their local bank app doesn't show up in the app store

Only on day 3 with my Nokia, but will post a more thorough experience after about a week.
    12-09-2012 09:28 AM
    I love this thread, it's really actually very constructive and helpful. Some comments:

* Lumia 920, in the USA at least is priced ridiculously low @ either $449 (how I got mine - Sorry ATT, I do love you but $100/month is too much) or $99 on contract. My point being that you are getting a LOT of smarthphone for not very much - with a little patience, you'll end up better off in the medium/long term.
    * The battery issues, major app issues and other niggles should be fixed reasonably quickly. The sales growth is fantastic and devices like the 620 will help to get Android level penetration
    * Windows 8 is going to continue to grow on touch hardware. Seeing that Windows phone 8 has been rewritten to use the same kernel as Windows 8, you'll see some benefit from the growth of both.
    12-09-2012 09:49 AM
    My biggest issue so far is the picture quality. It's soooo bad at night compared to my iPhone 4s. My wife and I took the kids to see christmas lights in the park last night, and all my pictures came out blurry and overexposed. Her iPhone 4s pictures came out wonderful.

I really don't understand this.
    12-19-2012 02:19 PM
    My biggest issue so far is the picture quality. It's soooo bad at night compared to my iPhone 4s. My wife and I took the kids to see christmas lights in the park last night, and all my pictures came out blurry and overexposed. Her iPhone 4s pictures came out wonderful.

Next time try lowering the exposure. When I went to look at xmas lights with the family, the first pictures I took turned out like crap. Lowered the exposure to at least -2/3 (IIRC) and the pictures came out great.
    12-19-2012 02:42 PM
    Next time try lowering the exposure. When I went to look at xmas lights with the family, the first pictures I took turned out like crap. Lowered the exposure to at least -2/3 (IIRC) and the pictures came out great.
    Thank you for the tip! I will try that.
    12-19-2012 02:51 PM

Are you pressing down on the camera button to take picture? Try tapping on the subject on the screen instead. And hold the phone real steady during the whole process. It really shouldn't be worse than iphone 4. Also make sure you have all settings to default unless you know what you are doing with those values.
    12-19-2012 02:55 PM
66 123