Love this phone

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I would like to preface this post by saying that I was using a Galaxy Note II before picking up my Lumia 920 on impulse. They just happened to have the color I wanted (red) when everyone else was out of stock and the Microsoft store gave me an extra $25 off the already great off-contract price. Add to that the free wireless charger and, well...shut up and take my money.

I have always been fond of Windows Phone. To me, the only thing missing was good hardware. Nokia has satisfied me in that regard. The phone is hefty, but it doesn't bother me at all.

What I like about the phone:

1. The screen is amazing. The clarity and contrast and outdoor visibility are some of the best I have seen. Windows Phone 8 looks great on a high resolution screen. Also love the enhanced touch sensitivity.
  2. Camera is good. The low-light ability is exactly as advertised. As is the optical stabilization. I do notice the lack of detail in photos, but I'm hoping an update will fix that. I like the filters and cinemagraph kicks ass.
  3. Call quality has been good. Most importantly, signal strength blows me away. I took the phone into a Super Target that has reception issues in the back corner. No phone I have ever owned, including the iPhone 5 could get a good signal in the back corner of that place. None of them could pull data. With the Lumia 920, I get 2 bars of 4G and pull in over 1mbps consistently. That's quite a feat, given how many phones I haves tested in there (12+ in the last year, including HTC, Samsung, Apple).
  4. Speakers are pretty loud on the phone. Minor, but still worth mentioning.
  5. Wireless charging. I picked up one of the stand-up wireless chargers at the Microsoft store and I must say, I'm getting way more of a kick out of it than I should. There's just something cool about setting my phone on it and having it charge, without fiddling with cables. I haven't had that since the original Palm Pre.
  6. Nokia Software. It's pretty hard to argue with free Navigation, but we also get Cinemagraph, Music, a photo editor, a ringtone creator. Between Xbox Live and Nokia music, I don't even need an official Pandora app and my Slacker subscription is getting dusty.

Very happy with this phone. There are a few minor features I miss: DLNA to my Apple TV, compatibility with my Fitbit, etc, but I'm willing to sacrifice those things for a great overall phone. While I don't feel that WP8 is much different than WP7 in terms of the experience and functionality, some of what needed to be polished has been and I find myself thoroughly enjoying my time with this phone.

Below are some comparison night shots:

iPhone 5
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CBB464E67F3ECF26!685&authkey=!AEGcf2wofJMhCNw

Galaxy Note 2
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CBB464E67F3ECF26!757&authkey=!AM2wci8pb2Ul48Q

Lumia 920
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CBB464E67F3ECF26!680&authkey=!AC9xsPVnI_6FmzY

Attachments

• iphone5.jpg
    iphone5.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Note 2.jpg
    Note 2.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Lumia.jpg
    Lumia.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Members online