Switched from iPhone 5 to Nokia Lumia 920 but luck sucks

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Att has given me credits out the butt they waive upgrade fees, a months service, and credited me another 35 for something but i have no idea what it was.I only paid $50 for the lumia 920 so upgrading to a gs3 normally would be $199 so I'd have to pay the $150.

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The same reason you're crying over the iPhone 5. New phones have issues, although L920 seems to have an awful lot of them.

Crying? Nope, just an unsatisfied consumer wanting what he paid for to work properly. Think about what you said. "new phones have issues" And that's acceptable? I've never had a problem with any other phone but the two I've had this week. I expect freezing here and there 6-months to a year down the road from a phone, but freezing and turning itself off forcing resets many times in the first few days, no.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Icy - The battery in the 920 is MUCH bigger than the iPhone. I've had the same battery issues as you with my iPhone5, but I really have no choice but to deal with it.

The Lumia is a different story. The iPhone battery is too small, but the Lumia has a great battery - two different issues. I honestly believe there are some bugs in the mail sync process (specifically for gmail) as well as some apps that aren't fully compatible (not yet updated) with windows Phone 8 on the Lumia. I honestly expect these to be resolved quickly.

I don't have any issues, but I think it's because I don't use gmail, nor Nokia drive. I use Nokia music a LOT, but I get OUTSTANDING battery life. It seems the issues are related to some apps getting caught in a loop and just burning up. Again, I think this will be fixed. The iPhone however, the battery is just too damned small ... it will be fixed with the iPhone 5S hopefully and the 5 will be forgotten as an unfortunate mistake.

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Icy - The battery in the 920 is MUCH bigger than the iPhone. I've had the same battery issues as you with my iPhone5, but I really have no choice but to deal with it.

The Lumia is a different story. The iPhone battery is too small, but the Lumia has a great battery - two different issues. I honestly believe there are some bugs in the mail sync process (specifically for gmail) as well as some apps that aren't fully compatible (not yet updated) with windows Phone 8 on the Lumia. I honestly expect these to be resolved quickly.

I don't have any issues, but I think it's because I don't use gmail, nor Nokia drive. I use Nokia music a LOT, but I get OUTSTANDING battery life. It seems the issues are related to some apps getting caught in a loop and just burning up. Again, I think this will be fixed. The iPhone however, the battery is just too damned small ... it will be fixed with the iPhone 5S hopefully and the 5 will be forgotten as an unfortunate mistake.

Yeah, a lot of that is very true. I could deal with some of the battery issues but what I won't deal with is the freezing and the phone shutting itself off and not restarting unless I give it a hard reset

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with above .i emailed elop and he set me up with a new cyan 920 which was shipped. I just hope that doesn't have any issues or I'm done. My first phones battery. Only lasted 2-3 hours ,my second is much better but it gets hot when making calls.an 8 minute phone call can burn through 8-12% battery, then being on the web makes the phone hot but games and streaming video work great. Microsoft and Nokia should have just waited until January to release the os and phone

Last edited:

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't impressed with battery life the first few days. But letting it charge overnight a few times (wall charger) and now the battery life is far better than I even expected. However, the battery gauge is now like my fuel gauge in my truck. It shows full for a long time before it finally starts to move.

As far "soft resets", I haven't been required any. But even if a couple per week were needed, I wouldn't fret. In network admin world that would still be 99% uptime. 😊

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I had to do a few soft resets when my phone was new. Once on the first day. Maybe once on the 2nd day.

It's been fine for about 2 weeks since then.

I have no idea why.

ripple23

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. This actually worked. Now what would be more helpful is if you or anyone else could tell me why this may have happened. I mean I just bought the phone yesterday

Seems to be an intermittent issue. My white Lumia 920 has not had a freeze or needed a soft reset till now (1 week till now) Also depends on how hard you are pushing it I guess. I have been using a few apps like FB, next gen reader, photos, Nokia drive, and havent see anything so far. BTW I think you made the right choice. The phone absolutely rocks. I havent had this much fun using a smartphone for a long time. I recently switched from a 4S.

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The update on this is that the replacement is giving me NO issues that I can see thus far. No battery issues or shutting itself off which were my concerns before. Strange thing, they sent me that free wireless charge kit for the phone, but it doesn't actually charge the phone. Maybe I placed it on the plate wrong?

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
When you buy a phone you have to drain it to full 0 and charge it to full 100 3times, then your battery is way better, I did this with every phone and Lumia 800 and I didn't have to charge them every night, my Lumia 800 now hold 1day and 15h at least battery saver shows it, after normal use of it(a lot of calls, some web surfing, games and sms) at night I have about 30percent of battery.Try it.

CyCl0n3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue and other people too like described in this Topic:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/206290-2.htm#post1815091

Every night i put it on charging Pad and in the morning its dead and i only can rewake it by pressing volume down + on/off button.
Then i have to put date and time again. Very annoying. Yesterday and otherdays i put it into flight mode during the night and it DID NOT FREEZE OR DIE at all.
So basically i have to but it into Flight mode everyday before i go to sleep otherwise it will switch off and only be wakable with soft reset. :(

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When you buy a phone you have to drain it to full 0 and charge it to full 100 3times, then your battery is way better, I did this with every phone and Lumia 800 and I didn't have to charge them every night, my Lumia 800 now hold 1day and 15h at least battery saver shows it, after normal use of it(a lot of calls, some web surfing, games and sms) at night I have about 30percent of battery.Try it.

This is not true.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The update on this is that the replacement is giving me NO issues that I can see thus far. No battery issues or shutting itself off which were my concerns before. Strange thing, they sent me that free wireless charge kit for the phone, but it doesn't actually charge the phone. Maybe I placed it on the plate wrong?

The side of the plate with the circle and Nokia face up. The small light opposite the cord end of plate only lights up when your phone is sensed unfortunately, so there's no way to tell if the coil in plate is working unless your phone is charging. Place the phone length wise, glass side up and the light remains constant until phone is fully charged. The phone makes a unique sound at start of charging each time its placed on the charger and unique sound if removed and not placed back on charger within a few seconds. If the phone is not aligned on the charger properly, such as laying short side on charger, the two sounds will alternate and the charger light does not appear.

Hopefully you didn't get a dud.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Maybe the plate doesn't work. It does charge more slowly than when plugged in. Does the phone make a sound when you put it on the plate? You should see a little plug icon flash over the battery icon when its on the plate. There is really no 'trick' to it, it should just work. Mine works great and it almost feels ridiculous that all phones don't have wireless charging.

IcyLumia

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the plate doesn't work. It does charge more slowly than when plugged in. Does the phone make a sound when you put it on the plate? You should see a little plug icon flash over the battery icon when its on the plate. There is really no 'trick' to it, it should just work. Mine works great and it almost feels ridiculous that all phones don't have wireless charging.

It's possible the plate doesn't work. I'm almost afraid to try again because I've read nightmares on this forum alone about people charging with the wireless kit and their phone begin to give them problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion