Nokia Maps experience

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So i decided to try out nokia maps yesterday and it was not fun. This is before even getting the directions, is anybody else having this issue?

When you search a place, it gives you results, then you click on one of the results and it pulls you to the screen that shows location, address, phone number sometimes, and then you can slide to the right for photos, reviews etc. Once you click on the address, it takes you finally to the map with the directions list. Now first, the annoying part is that the directions list blocks the map, if you go to the map, the directions list is now hidden. Getting to the part you want to zoom into the map to see the directions on the map, zooming in will result in the map app locking up and you cant do anything unless you hit the home screen. This results in your phone overheating and a big battery drain. I tried this a number of times and almost each time, once you start moving the map and trying to zoom in, it locks up.

The sad thing is, i haven't even gotten to chance to even start moving yet, so luckily bing maps is avialable through the app. Hopefully Nokia fixes this thing, it is not stable, not optimized for some odd reason, and not streamlined. ONce i click on a result, it should go to directions immediately not the information page. Also, the map look should not be blocked by the directions list and the directions list should not be hiddne when looking at maps, i should be able to see both like on bing maps.

Sad

haikus

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi, this is Pino from the HERE team. We will look into the locking up/overheating issue. So far we couldn't reproduce it.
However, if you want to see both maps and directions on the same screen, you should tap on "start (walk) navigation".

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've found the Nokia Maps and Drive applications to not be so great. The routes that they have taken me, while they have gotten me to my destination (although once Drive told me to take an exit on the left that didn't exist), were in no way optimal; they were longer both in distance and time compared to the routes available by Google (and changing the "Smart Routing" made no difference to the route displayed via Drive). Again, they got me where I needed to be, but just wasn't good.

Also, what's the deal with the programs not saying which direction of a highway to take? For example, I'm driving down I-271 and it tells me to take the exit to merge on I-480. That's great and all...but which direction; east or west?! Since I can see the map it isn't too bad, but if I am relying on the text or the Drive app and am not looking at the map, this can be a little confusing. This would be a great thing to have included, along with the Exit numbers in the Drive app.

Do you know where we can submit feature enhancements/suggestions, Pino? Because these (along with additional routes to select from) would be really helpful for future releases! :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos