Skydrive App - Can't view photo's?

bradhicks

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've installed the Skydrive app on my Lumia 920, but whenever I try and view photo's on Skydrive that have been backed up by the phone it doesn't work.

When browsing through folders it has big blue boxes next to the names of folders, that I would assume possibly should be showing preview pics of the files inside the folders?

And when I go into a folder the view the picture files they are represented by placeholder icon images, instead of previews of the pics themselves which I assume should be there.
wp_ss_20121206_0002.jpg

When I select one to open I get the error message "The file can't be displayed. Make sure you're connected to a Wifi or mobile network".
I'm definately was on Wifi when trying it, and I have also tried while connected to the mobile network, but get the same error.

I can view the pics fine if you log into Skydrive from a PC.

Is this a known bug with the Skydrive app? I saw a review for it from someone else who had the same issue so only rated it 1 star.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but it still has the same issue.

(It can open up an Excel file I have saved on Skydrive with no problems. Just seems to be pics it has trouble with).

Thanks.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20121206_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20121206_0001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 4

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
What format are the pictures? Possibly try another type if they are all the same.

On mine I'm able to view pics and thumbnails without issues. Might be one of those weird .JPEG versus .JPG type things and it's having a hard time figuring out what they are.

bradhicks

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Confirmed that they are JPG pics. I wouldn't think it would be a compatability issue as the pictures were taken with the phone itself and then uploaded.
Maybe I need to log this as an issue with the skydrive app people, if it's something that affects some people but not others.

Anyone else tried this and can report if it works for them or not?

badboy2303

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
This is frustrating because you can view pictures via Photos > Albums > Camera Roll .. or I can view a bunch of other pictures I have uploaded on SkyDrive (off my PC) using the Photos app, but using the SkyDrive app it refuses and says "The file can't be displayed. Make sure your connected to a WiFi network or mobile network"

bradhicks

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Glad to know I'm not the only one.
Just did a full factory reset of the phone and installed SkyDrive again, but still has the same issue.

Kinda annoying.

Skeet1981

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I has this issue. What I did was removed my Microsoft account from my phone, then re sync it. Was a while ago so cant remember what else i did or in what order.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
This is so annoying, has anyone found a fix? Some of the photos uploaded don't end up in the photo app and I can't view them in the SkyDrive app

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
hi,
i have the same exact problem as you...
i can only view the pic via the album skydrive & my laptop ..but NOT Through the SKYDRIVE app.
hope there is someone who knows what is going on..,

ps: using Nokia 920 and using stock nokia camera to take pics

Last edited:

chgogolfcoach

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Silly question, but I am a newbie to Windows 8 and my Lumia 920. If we have sky drive accessibility on phone, what does adding the app on phone do for me

bradhicks

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there is SkyDrive access on the phone through the Office App. But it's very basic and if looking at photo's you just get to see the file name, and have to open it to see the pic.
The SkyDrive app should be able to display photo's in thumbnail format for browsing through and finding what you're looking for quickly. Unfortunately for some of us it doesn't seem to work.
You will see when browsing round in the SkyDrive section of the Office App it actually has a link to "Open in SkyDrive", which will use the proper SkyDrive app if you have it installed.

I'm not reinstalling the app until updates are released that fix this issue.

Mazinger

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
it's not only the photos that give you that error...try opening a folder containing videos...same thing. I believe it's an app glitch.
I have the same issue here in Australia

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium