Lumia 920 - Real World Usage Times?

gregory_opera

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
A few years ago, I gave up my Research in Motion (RIM) BlackBerry Bold 9000 and jumped-ship to the Android... However, after owning a number of Android smartphones, I recently decided to go back to BlackBerry OS - despite only just purchasing a "premium" (high-end) Android smartphone - because of the appalling usage times.

I was going to wait and see what BlackBerry 10 would be like with regards to usage times, until I stumbled across the Nokia Lumia 920.

According to both the Microsoft Web site and GSMArena, the Lumia 920 has slightly better usage times than my BlackBerry Curve 9320!

Sooo, what I would like is some "real world" feedback on the Lumia 920's usage times.

At this stage, I mostly use my BlackBerry Curve 9320 for data (Web browsing and e-mail), with maybe two or three dozen calls a day, all brief (a couple of minutes)...

With heavy usage (i.e. sitting on my BlackBerry non-stop until I hit 50%), I can get a solid five or six hours and even the likes of Mobile Foxtel (on-device subscription television) will give me a solid 2-3 hours. Under "normal" circumstances (i.e. casual Web browsing, a few dozen brief calls and a couple of e-mails), I can get a full day with approximately 1/4-1/2 of the battery remaining at the end of the day.

Seeing as the Lumia 920 supposedly has better usage times than my Curve 9320, can I expect similar performance if I am to buy one?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Seeing as the screen on the Lumia is litterally twice as big, I don't think you will, haha.

I use my phone a bit, and I get the same times as I got on my Focus. Decent usage (no calls, but playing on data) with emailing and texting I can get a day no problem. Getting 3-4 hours of "on time" throughout a 16 hr day would be typical I'd say.

Basically...you can expect out of the Lumia 920 what you can expect out of nearly anything on the market now.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Variables:

Network availablity (2G/3G/4G/LTE/Wi-Fi)
Environmental factors
Applications used, and the connections from which they are acquring from or pushing data through
Amount of time spent talk/text/web/applications
Screen time
Stress on the device - build up of heat, no rest, dropping the device, getting wet

I can run down a battery on a phone fairly quickly. Doesn't matter if its a BlackBerry, Nexus, iPhone, Palm - I can kill it. If you load up just the right app, something that taxes the hardware and requires a lot of power, no amount of conditioning is going to stop it from eventually draining the battery faster than with moderate usage. I will say this, using my phone now for about a month I generally get a day's usage out of it before I'm hitting the charger. If you turn off things you don't use, you can get more time on the battery before either battery saver kicks in or you get the prompt from the OS to plug in your charger.

I listen to music on my phone. At least five hours. Most of it is locally stored but I have been known to stream music as well. Right now my setup is using my Voyager Legend UC with my softphone at work and streaming music from my phone. (I get a call, music is paused and then resumed when I'm done with my call) It's a nice mostly wireless setup that keeps me entertained and productive at the same time. I just have to remember to take my BT dongle with me when I leave today.

As expected, a navigation app that keeps the screen on and constantly keeps tabs on my GPS location is going to take up some juice. Even at a pace where it could be pulling more power than I'm putting back into the phone with the car charger. I can replace the charger with a 2.1 amp one (which I will later this month) but at most I've seen a 20% drop in battery. I'll use it more when My Commute is back.

sasha055

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Battery life used to suck for me, I would get to about 85% in 10 hours at work and then 1hr of my son Need4Speed playing will kill the battery.
On weekends he will kill the phone in 1-1.5hr by playing games easily

However with latest updates, I didn't charge the phone for 2 days, both kids logged about 2-3 hrs (combined) of playing intense games, I played for about 1hr, plus usual facebook, stocks, web browsing, music playing at gym...phone is at 20% charge and battery saver says it will last another 22hr's
I'm gonna charge my phone before that, but I'm truly amazed with my battery life

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12