12-24-2012 10:52 AM
84 1234
tools
    Thanks for the replies guys, I emailed Nokia about it and they say they want my phone for 'technical analysis' so hopefully I'll be able to get a replacement.
    12-14-2012 06:51 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys, I emailed Nokia about it and they say they want my phone for 'technical analysis' so hopefully I'll be able to get a replacement.
    This type of thing bothers me. Could they not do a swap-out, sending you a new phone and giving you a pre-addressed label to send the faulty one back (with say your credit card on file as security)?
    12-14-2012 07:07 PM
    This type of thing bothers me. Could they not do a swap-out, sending you a new phone and giving you a pre-addressed label to send the faulty one back (with say your credit card on file as security)?
    Nokia has done 2 swaps with me, no cc info. They sent me new phone with prepaid label for my return.
    12-14-2012 07:38 PM
    Yeah, when they said they'll send a replacement I told them I don't want to go without a phone for an extended period of time so they're sending me a replacement and a prepaid package to send mine back. No cc details. Very happy with that, gives me a little more faith in Nokia. Mind you, I'm in Australia so I think that makes it even better considering how hard it is to find proper service here.
    peterg21 and rexii23 like this.
    12-14-2012 10:43 PM
    nokiacareUSA just told me that and I quote "it's the design but you can inquire for a possible exchange at point of purchase."
    12-14-2012 10:59 PM
    Anyone can provide these emails/contact info. for Nokia?? Does it even work in Canada?
    12-15-2012 12:19 AM
    Yeah, when they said they'll send a replacement I told them I don't want to go without a phone for an extended period of time so they're sending me a replacement and a prepaid package to send mine back. No cc details. Very happy with that, gives me a little more faith in Nokia. Mind you, I'm in Australia so I think that makes it even better considering how hard it is to find proper service here.
    Good to hear Nokia Australia is doing the right thing. I'm tempted to purchase my L920 and see how it goes, if mine develops any hardware faults I can always do the same. If you don't mind can you share the content of your email and nokia's reply? I may have to do the same in the future - fingers crossed I don't have to though! Do you know the batch number of your phone?
    12-15-2012 12:38 AM
    I actually just contacted Stephen Elop who put me through to Peter Thomas, head of Nokia Care Australasia. In my email I just said I had concerns about the build quality of the phone and explained the gap between the case and the display, the creaking and flexing of the case and that it has been getting progressively worse in the week that I've owned it. I included that photo I posted above too. I just asked if that was normal and Peter Thomas basically replied saying it wasn't and that they want to send me a replacement. I never actually asked for a replacement, it was just an expression of concern about the build quality/quality control. Anyway, Peter was really good, he replied within 20 minutes of each of my emails. I didn't bother going through the Nokia Australia website.

I don't know the batch number, is it on the box?
    rexii23 likes this.
    12-15-2012 01:54 AM
    Wow, that is amazing customer service. I actually emailed Elop a week back with a number of questions on hardware defects including this one. All I got was a generic we take each issue seriously reply. Most likely because I don't actually own a phone yet! It's awesome to hear from Peter that this behaviour is not normal. I think I might just go and purchase one, I'll examine it before leaving the store and if this problem develops I'll do exactly what you did

The batch number should be on the box from other posts on wpcentral. It's usually on the sticker where the barcode is and its something along the lines of 46/2012, for made in week 46 2012.

Thanks for the info devize!!!! I can't wait to have a better camera on my phone!
    12-15-2012 02:52 AM
    My email from Stephen said 'I am sorry that you have encountered these problems. I will ask my team to assist' and I got Cc'd to nokia assist who got me through to Peter. I sent the email at 1am and woke up this morning to emails from Peter stating they want to send me a replacement. Not bad.

I'd get the phone, I still really like it and we get a 2 year warranty in Australia so you can't go wrong. Like I said, I wasn't exactly asking for a replacement but I'll take it if it means I don't have to take mine down to warranty further down the line with problems such as dust getting under the screen.

There doesn't seem to be a batch number on my box. Maybe it isn't on the Telstra boxes.
    rexii23 likes this.
    12-15-2012 03:07 AM
    Yes, my thoughts exactly - can't go wrong with the 2 yr warranty. I just didn't want the hassle of replacements if waiting a bit longer will ensure that better quality checks on the production line due to feedback. Do you have any other issues with the phone? Vibration rattle, loose component and dust under FFC together with this creak/gap were my main concerns.

That's alright, I think some other people also said their box didn't have the batch number either. I'll keep checking to see if allphones or mobileciti will have the black arriving next week. Keep us posted on this replacement though!

cheers
    12-15-2012 03:18 AM
    No other issues, mainly just software things like the occasional freeze or reboot (only happened I think twice). I'll see what Nokia's replacement is like before I send mine back anyway.
    rexii23 likes this.
    12-15-2012 03:25 AM
    I have half a dozen 920s at my store and a couple 820s. All the 920s feel like the 900, kind of solid, kind of not. Flexes a bit in places. The 820 is a freakin tank. It's not unibody but even with a snap-on back, it feels really really solid and hard and you can kill someone by throwing it. Are people getting the same vibe? I dunno even though it isn't the flagship device, it just feels nicer to hold and much stronger in the hand.
    I agree the 820 feels like a tank. Had a play with one in the store and the snap-on back was so tightly put on that there is less gap between screen and body than the 920. No creaking or flexing any where to be seen.
    12-17-2012 03:44 AM
    It was dead hard and solid when brand new. After a few days it starts to creak a little here and there. It's plastic, albeit with a fancy name like Poly Carbonate. Plastic will creak, this is normal. Although the many reviews of fresh phones may have given us false expectations.
    12-17-2012 08:56 AM
    If you press hard enough, yes, it will map a tiny snap/pop sound. There is in fact some space in there and you are just collapsing the case in to contact something. Mine will make the sound on release, as if something is sticky... but its very faint. If this is troubling... holy smokes you're picky... or I'm just used to samsung phone's cheap creaky plastic case/backings.

The 920 still feels totally solid to me. I had to go looking for this sound.
    david90531 likes this.
    12-17-2012 11:30 AM
    I have some minor creaking in the corners, but that doesn't seem an issue to me, if it was worse like some of you are saying then you have a dodgy shell/casing whatever you want to call it, there will be some movement in a case like this.
    12-17-2012 01:09 PM
    You would think this is the iPhone forum!
    12-17-2012 03:45 PM
    You would think this is the iPhone forum!
    You have to remember that for many owners or prospective owners, they are coming from an iphone (myself from a 4 and looking at the 920). It is a point of reference for many of us.
    12-17-2012 04:04 PM
    I have a new phone coming to me. Probably a refurb though. I could deal with the sim tray area, but not the bottom of the phone.
    12-18-2012 06:13 AM
    this is weird.. i have 2 lumia 920 grey n white, never encounter such a problem..
    What do you do when you buy a expensive bag and you see a crack at the side when you reach home?
    do you go posting on forums asking if that is normal?
    or do you go back to the shop and ask if that is normal?
    or do you call their customer care line or email to ask if that is normal?
    I think most people forgot that if we buy something we do get to test them look at them n check them before we walk out of the shop.
    but if you reach home n realise that there is a issue.. 1st thing to do is contact the company right?
    and if company refuse your cliam then we should go further to make sure they replace it as it is only a few days or a few hours or 1 week of use.

I personally have bought n use many phones.. if i have a issue i will definately bring it to the dealer immediately with my reciept
    12-18-2012 06:35 AM
    From talking with a nokia rep, it seems the issue is more common in the black model. My wife's white one doesn't have this issue. She has the click near the sim tray, but thats it. Unless dust gets under there, i see no point in getting it replaced. I'm not sure if adhesive is used or what, but something isn't right. Mine had some specs on the front camera, which is what finally forced me to take action.

I'm not sure what your issue with asking first if these problems are normal. This is easier for most people than fighting with a CSR in the store or on the phone. I think its absolutely ridiculous that some people have returned multiple units to the stores trying to fix what seems like a fairly normal issue. It is possibly only an issue with the early batches. No wonder there is a supply issue. Is it an issue for some, YES, is it an issue that warrants a recall? Probably not. Also, for me, I'm past the normal return period, which I"m assuming most people are at this point. The OP now knows others have had the problem and others have not and there's a good chance a CSR would't relay that info to him/her.
    12-18-2012 06:46 AM
    I have it on my white one too. Top left (near the SIM tray), bottom right (near the screw) and left from the back button (also a little light leaking right from the search button). But..... when it's cold the creaking is nowhere to be found, so I'm not sure if I should bring it buy a Nokia service point as I have a feeling this is not a unique problem.
    12-18-2012 06:59 AM
    I have it on my white one too. Top left (near the SIM tray), bottom right (near the screw) and left from the back button (also a little light leaking right from the search button). But..... when it's cold the creaking is nowhere to be found, so I'm not sure if I should bring it buy a Nokia service point as I have a feeling this is not a unique problem.
    I think your problem is what most people with this issue find. Its fine when its cold. I actually can see the gap on my phone change when I press on my problem areas after using the phone for just a brief amount of time.
    12-18-2012 07:02 AM
    From talking with a nokia rep, it seems the issue is more common in the black model. My wife's white one doesn't have this issue. She has the click near the sim tray, but thats it. Unless dust gets under there, i see no point in getting it replaced. I'm not sure if adhesive is used or what, but something isn't right. Mine had some specs on the front camera, which is what finally forced me to take action.

I'm not sure what your issue with asking first if these problems are normal. This is easier for most people than fighting with a CSR in the store or on the phone. I think its absolutely ridiculous that some people have returned multiple units to the stores trying to fix what seems like a fairly normal issue. It is possibly only an issue with the early batches. No wonder there is a supply issue. Is it an issue for some, YES, is it an issue that warrants a recall? Probably not. Also, for me, I'm past the normal return period, which I"m assuming most people are at this point. The OP now knows others have had the problem and others have not and there's a good chance a CSR would't relay that info to him/her.
    It sounds like there are varying degrees to which people are experiencing this issue. For me, the creaking is very pronounced. I have had two co-workers ask to play with my phone, and both have made a comment about the creaking and asking what it was. It is loud enough to hear just handling the phone. I don't understand why it's ridiculous for people to expect quality no matter how many returns it takes. I don't see this as a fairly common issue. If it was, wouldn't almost everyone experience it? And since it isn't so common, one would think that it's a defect and not intended. I paid full retail for my phone and don't feel like it's wrong to expect quality after all the hype of the polycarbonate unibody frame. I owned a number of plastic Samsung phones that made less noise than my 920. If it continues to get worse, I'll just buy a new phone as I'm way past the return period.

Having said that, other than some build issues, I love the phone and am not trying to bash it or Nokia. I just think better quality is good not only for consumers but for Nokia as well.
    Jeddan likes this.
    12-18-2012 08:26 AM
    I think there are build issues and I'm not sticking up for nokia. As a logical person though, if I tried 2 from the same store that most likely came from the same batch, I wouldn't try a 3rd, 4th, 5th time. That's what I'm saying is ridiculous. At that point its obvious its either the way its going to be, or there is an actual flaw. Since At&T went to the 14 day return, I would have just returned the phone at that point if I was off contract.

I bought 2 identical samsung monitors 2 years back from best buy. One sat taller than the other (no height adjustment) and one had a completely different color temp that I could not match no matter what I did. I took both back to the store but only swapped out one. Best buy was pretty ticked with me. Both monitors would stand alone just fine, but not together in a dual setup. One of these monitors crapped out recently and Samsung replaced it. I'm back to square one not having matching monitors again. They have serious quality control issues. My point to this is, from working in retail in the past, I could never expect Best Buy to keep opening up new product just to please me. I cost the store money because that brand new monitor had to be marked down in price for it to be sold. That's just me though. I'm not sure what AT&T does with devices in this case. They may go back to Nokia, or they just sell them as new to the next person.

It may be very common, but many people don't care. My wife shrugged her shoulders when I pointed out my issue.

Why would you not contact Nokia directly before buying another phone? That's what I've done, hopefully I get one that has this issue fixed.
    12-18-2012 08:49 AM
84 1234