Is the 920 supposed to feel solid?

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, my thoughts exactly - can't go wrong with the 2 yr warranty. I just didn't want the hassle of replacements if waiting a bit longer will ensure that better quality checks on the production line due to feedback. Do you have any other issues with the phone? Vibration rattle, loose component and dust under FFC together with this creak/gap were my main concerns.

That's alright, I think some other people also said their box didn't have the batch number either. I'll keep checking to see if allphones or mobileciti will have the black arriving next week. Keep us posted on this replacement though!

cheers

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
No other issues, mainly just software things like the occasional freeze or reboot (only happened I think twice). I'll see what Nokia's replacement is like before I send mine back anyway.

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have half a dozen 920s at my store and a couple 820s. All the 920s feel like the 900, kind of solid, kind of not. Flexes a bit in places. The 820 is a freakin tank. It's not unibody but even with a snap-on back, it feels really really solid and hard and you can kill someone by throwing it. Are people getting the same vibe? I dunno even though it isn't the flagship device, it just feels nicer to hold and much stronger in the hand.

I agree the 820 feels like a tank. Had a play with one in the store and the snap-on back was so tightly put on that there is less gap between screen and body than the 920. No creaking or flexing any where to be seen.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It was dead hard and solid when brand new. After a few days it starts to creak a little here and there. It's plastic, albeit with a fancy name like Poly Carbonate. Plastic will creak, this is normal. Although the many reviews of fresh phones may have given us false expectations.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If you press hard enough, yes, it will map a tiny snap/pop sound. There is in fact some space in there and you are just collapsing the case in to contact something. Mine will make the sound on release, as if something is sticky... but its very faint. If this is troubling... holy smokes you're picky... or I'm just used to samsung phone's cheap creaky plastic case/backings.

The 920 still feels totally solid to me. I had to go looking for this sound.

MikeTheYid

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have some minor creaking in the corners, but that doesn't seem an issue to me, if it was worse like some of you are saying then you have a dodgy shell/casing whatever you want to call it, there will be some movement in a case like this.

Pi Sin

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
this is weird.. i have 2 lumia 920 grey n white, never encounter such a problem..
What do you do when you buy a expensive bag and you see a crack at the side when you reach home?
do you go posting on forums asking if that is normal?
or do you go back to the shop and ask if that is normal?
or do you call their customer care line or email to ask if that is normal?
I think most people forgot that if we buy something we do get to test them look at them n check them before we walk out of the shop.
but if you reach home n realise that there is a issue.. 1st thing to do is contact the company right?
and if company refuse your cliam then we should go further to make sure they replace it as it is only a few days or a few hours or 1 week of use.

I personally have bought n use many phones.. if i have a issue i will definately bring it to the dealer immediately with my reciept

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
From talking with a nokia rep, it seems the issue is more common in the black model. My wife's white one doesn't have this issue. She has the click near the sim tray, but thats it. Unless dust gets under there, i see no point in getting it replaced. I'm not sure if adhesive is used or what, but something isn't right. Mine had some specs on the front camera, which is what finally forced me to take action.

I'm not sure what your issue with asking first if these problems are normal. This is easier for most people than fighting with a CSR in the store or on the phone. I think its absolutely ridiculous that some people have returned multiple units to the stores trying to fix what seems like a fairly normal issue. It is possibly only an issue with the early batches. No wonder there is a supply issue. Is it an issue for some, YES, is it an issue that warrants a recall? Probably not. Also, for me, I'm past the normal return period, which I"m assuming most people are at this point. The OP now knows others have had the problem and others have not and there's a good chance a CSR would't relay that info to him/her.

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have it on my white one too. Top left (near the SIM tray), bottom right (near the screw) and left from the back button (also a little light leaking right from the search button). But..... when it's cold the creaking is nowhere to be found, so I'm not sure if I should bring it buy a Nokia service point as I have a feeling this is not a unique problem.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have it on my white one too. Top left (near the SIM tray), bottom right (near the screw) and left from the back button (also a little light leaking right from the search button). But..... when it's cold the creaking is nowhere to be found, so I'm not sure if I should bring it buy a Nokia service point as I have a feeling this is not a unique problem.

I think your problem is what most people with this issue find. Its fine when its cold. I actually can see the gap on my phone change when I press on my problem areas after using the phone for just a brief amount of time.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
From talking with a nokia rep, it seems the issue is more common in the black model. My wife's white one doesn't have this issue. She has the click near the sim tray, but thats it. Unless dust gets under there, i see no point in getting it replaced. I'm not sure if adhesive is used or what, but something isn't right. Mine had some specs on the front camera, which is what finally forced me to take action.

I'm not sure what your issue with asking first if these problems are normal. This is easier for most people than fighting with a CSR in the store or on the phone. I think its absolutely ridiculous that some people have returned multiple units to the stores trying to fix what seems like a fairly normal issue. It is possibly only an issue with the early batches. No wonder there is a supply issue. Is it an issue for some, YES, is it an issue that warrants a recall? Probably not. Also, for me, I'm past the normal return period, which I"m assuming most people are at this point. The OP now knows others have had the problem and others have not and there's a good chance a CSR would't relay that info to him/her.

It sounds like there are varying degrees to which people are experiencing this issue. For me, the creaking is very pronounced. I have had two co-workers ask to play with my phone, and both have made a comment about the creaking and asking what it was. It is loud enough to hear just handling the phone. I don't understand why it's ridiculous for people to expect quality no matter how many returns it takes. I don't see this as a fairly common issue. If it was, wouldn't almost everyone experience it? And since it isn't so common, one would think that it's a defect and not intended. I paid full retail for my phone and don't feel like it's wrong to expect quality after all the hype of the polycarbonate unibody frame. I owned a number of plastic Samsung phones that made less noise than my 920. If it continues to get worse, I'll just buy a new phone as I'm way past the return period.

Having said that, other than some build issues, I love the phone and am not trying to bash it or Nokia. I just think better quality is good not only for consumers but for Nokia as well.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I think there are build issues and I'm not sticking up for nokia. As a logical person though, if I tried 2 from the same store that most likely came from the same batch, I wouldn't try a 3rd, 4th, 5th time. That's what I'm saying is ridiculous. At that point its obvious its either the way its going to be, or there is an actual flaw. Since At&T went to the 14 day return, I would have just returned the phone at that point if I was off contract.

I bought 2 identical samsung monitors 2 years back from best buy. One sat taller than the other (no height adjustment) and one had a completely different color temp that I could not match no matter what I did. I took both back to the store but only swapped out one. Best buy was pretty ticked with me. Both monitors would stand alone just fine, but not together in a dual setup. One of these monitors crapped out recently and Samsung replaced it. I'm back to square one not having matching monitors again. They have serious quality control issues. My point to this is, from working in retail in the past, I could never expect Best Buy to keep opening up new product just to please me. I cost the store money because that brand new monitor had to be marked down in price for it to be sold. That's just me though. I'm not sure what AT&T does with devices in this case. They may go back to Nokia, or they just sell them as new to the next person.

It may be very common, but many people don't care. My wife shrugged her shoulders when I pointed out my issue.

Why would you not contact Nokia directly before buying another phone? That's what I've done, hopefully I get one that has this issue fixed.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I think there are build issues and I'm not sticking up for nokia. As a logical person though, if I tried 2 from the same store that most likely came from the same batch, I wouldn't try a 3rd, 4th, 5th time. That's what I'm saying is ridiculous. At that point its obvious its either the way its going to be, or there is an actual flaw. Since At&T went to the 14 day return, I would have just returned the phone at that point if I was off contract.

I bought 2 identical samsung monitors 2 years back from best buy. One sat taller than the other (no height adjustment) and one had a completely different color temp that I could not match no matter what I did. I took both back to the store but only swapped out one. Best buy was pretty ticked with me. Both monitors would stand alone just fine, but not together in a dual setup. One of these monitors crapped out recently and Samsung replaced it. I'm back to square one not having matching monitors again. They have serious quality control issues. My point to this is, from working in retail in the past, I could never expect Best Buy to keep opening up new product just to please me. I cost the store money because that brand new monitor had to be marked down in price for it to be sold. That's just me though. I'm not sure what AT&T does with devices in this case. They may go back to Nokia, or they just sell them as new to the next person.

It may be very common, but many people don't care. My wife shrugged her shoulders when I pointed out my issue.

Why would you not contact Nokia directly before buying another phone? That's what I've done, hopefully I get one that has this issue fixed.

I hope my post didn't come across as bashing you, it's not what I intended. It just seems there have been a number of responses that this is a non-issue, or that because they are not experiencing it on their phone that others are not justified in returning the phone.

I actually have contacted Nokia regarding this issue and am waiting on a response. I tend to think that it's something that wouldn't be considered for replacement, so if it becomes too bothersome for me I'll just buy a new phone.

rexii23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
No other issues, mainly just software things like the occasional freeze or reboot (only happened I think twice). I'll see what Nokia's replacement is like before I send mine back anyway.

I've bit the bullet and bought a black L920 only to find a gap between the volume button and power button and also next to the camera button. They are both large enough for a fingernail. Also on the left hand side of the phone, I have a large gap between the glass and gasket/bezel, again, the fingernail is able to fit through it.

Totally disappointing since it was there on the new device. However I do not have the vibration rattle and loose component issue. Its too early to for the FFC camera to gather dust also. I've emailed Mr Elop and hopefully Nokia can sort me out!

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ignoring the silly title of this thread I will say I have a creak now too, but look at my posts and you will see I dropped my 920 on the top-right corner and it still works flawlessly. Regardless, there may be a flaw here as many have said their 920's creak in the top-right corner. Will it affect performance? Not sure, and I recommend if people are concerned they pursue getting a new 920 or another phone.

For me it hasn't affected performance and my 920 still outshines the iPhone and and Android devices I have owned in regards to build (and performance).

Wit Stwosz

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I also had an issue with my black 920 but I fixed it by myself.

My 920 was also creaking in the bottom left corner. What I did was sticking a needle into the space between glass and plastic on the left side over the left speaker. I used some pressure but not too much not to break the phone, and when I took out the needle, I noticed that there is no more creaking and the phone feels as solid as a rock.

I know it may sound stupid, but seriously - try it. Worked for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12