The Factory Reset to Help Battery Advice...

PhilS_UK

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Is the general consensus that a factory reset on a new phone helps battery life? Or can that now be dismissed?

Also was this advice for branded/newtork locked handsets only or did it apply to unlocked models also?

Phone due tomorrow :)

Thanks

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am on my third 920. The first one I had had really bad battery life, so I hard reset it and I definitely saw a remarkable improvement. I had to change it for a power button problem. So the second one I had, I did a hard reset before I set it up...same with the third one. Steps I take, and has never failed me, are to charge the phone to 100% and then hard reset it while the phone is still on the charger.

jmseamonkey

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I am on my third 920. The first one I had had really bad battery life, so I hard reset it and I definitely saw a remarkable improvement. I had to change it for a power button problem. So the second one I had, I did a hard reset before I set it up...same with the third one. Steps I take, and has never failed me, are to charge the phone to 100% and then hard reset it while the phone is still on the charger.

Out of curiosity, what kind of battery life were you initially getting on your first 920, and now what are you getting on the second/third devices?

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what kind of battery life were you initially getting on your first 920, and now what are you getting on the second/third devices?
I was barely getting through 8-10 hours before the reset and then went up to 24 hours soon after that. Note that I did not return the first or the second device because of battery problems. Once I saw the improvement on the first device after the reset, I did the same with the second device and third one before I started to actively use the device.

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my second phone, the first one had bad battery drain in standby. The second one is fine when the phone is in standby but whenever I use it the phone gets somewhat hot and battery drains pretty fast. I've had it for a week and I just did the factory rest about 10 minutes ago. Everything went fine and it reset without any problems. I'm going to keep an eye on the battery life and if I'm still having issues while using it then I'll go exchange it for my third. I guess it's a crap shoot if the factory reset will brick your phone.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not convinced the reset really does much of anything. We do have many users, myself including, that have reported dramatically improved battery after a week or two of use. I never did a reset on mine.

death_eater

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I was planning to do the hard re-set tonight due battery problems since day 1 (now is day 8). But since you said it, okay maybe I will give another week if my battery improves. Right now I charge my phone almost 3 times in 2 days.

If this continues then I will do the hard re-set and just hope it won't bricked.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Let me start by saying that if don't have a 920. With my 822 I'm getting very good battery life. I'd suggest to you guys that you look into some of your settings to try to resolve this issue. For instance, under the cellular settings mine came defaulted to global and I set it to cdma/lte. Why have those extra radios running and draining juice. Also look at the apps you've installed. I've heard of some such as Skype, draining your battery.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever why this would help battery life, unless it's uninstalling software that the user installed which was running in the background and using a lot of battery.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever why this would help battery life, unless it's uninstalling software that the user installed which was running in the background and using a lot of battery.

I agree. I was going to do this when I first got my phone but I couldn't be bothered and didn't want to risk bricking it for something I can't see really doing anything.

PhilS_UK

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Well after receiving my 'Unlocked/unbranded' 920 yesterday and one full charge (without doing a reset) I am about 22 hrs in with 20% battery remaining.

Naturally this includes a fair amount of use, installing, updating, playing with camera, few calls etc... so seems pretty good so far! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99