Voicemail notifications

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is limited to Lumia 920s or all of Windows Phone 8, but I only get voicemail notifications if my data connection is on. I feel like this is a trade-off to having visual voicemail. Very weird. Anyone else have this?

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is limited to Lumia 920s or all of Windows Phone 8, but I only get voicemail notifications if my data connection is on. I feel like this is a trade-off to having visual voicemail. Very weird. Anyone else have this?

I have never noticed this, but then again I have never, ever, turned off Data with any smart phone I have owned, so I probably would never notice this.

MaxPower203

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I got a text message stating I had a voicemail. I thought that was weird since that's normally a service one would pay for from their provider.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I used to have my data off all the time and still get notifications about voicemail. That's a service you get regardless if data is on or not like still being able to get calls and text messages. At&t doesn't charge extra for visual voicemail. You just have to call them to get it activated on your line.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I am finding alot of things don't work without data, like MMS for example. I am in Russia right now and have received many phone calls but no notification. MMS simply won't send. Not even on WiFi. AT&T told me international data roaming needed to be enabled.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I am finding alot of things don't work without data, like MMS for example. I am in Russia right now and have received many phone calls but no notification. MMS simply won't send. Not even on WiFi. AT&T told me international data roaming needed to be enabled.

MMS has always used data since the day it was invented. I always thought it funny that they would charge you for the text and data used. But that's actually how the tech works. It sends a specially coded SMS with link to server where the picture/music/video is stored. On old phones you could choose to download this or not, now its generally automatic for ease of use. MMS is also suppose to be phone aware and resize photos etc... for your phone. This caused issue on the iPhone for example on unsupported networks, as it would downsize too much (as MMS generally defaults to the lowest size if unaware) and people would hack the iPhone to declare itself as another handset to the MMS servers.

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
MMS nor VVM will work without a data connection, as VVM downloads the message to your phone. That said, a WiFi connection should be sufficient for VVM. MMS is cellular data only, as the gateways for MMS are only visible to your phone via the cellular network.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it seems i get the missed call notification, but the toast notification for a VM is absent until i turn it back on. I mean, couldn't it at least tell me, so i can call my VM number if i wanted?

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense since it's downloading an audio file; otherwise, you can pay for att's service
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Too bad it works this way. They advertise pre-paid MMS packages for roaming that don't work as advertised. They have a nice scam going on these packages, selling you something that doesn't work. Hopefully they will give me a refund.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss