Signal Bars

Yev91

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there an explanation to why I get less bars? It is my first LTE phone so maybe I just dont know how it works.

With my Focus I used to have 4-5 out of 5 Bars (3G-3G+) in most places besides buildings.

Now that I the L920 I have only 3-4 out of 5 bars (3G-4G).

Do I need to get LTE signal to have the full 5 bars? Or is my L920 reception just worse than my old Focus?

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Is there an explanation to why I get less bars? It is my first LTE phone so maybe I just dont know how it works.

With my Focus I used to have 4-5 out of 5 Bars (3G-3G+) in most places besides buildings.

Now that I the L920 I have only 3-4 out of 5 bars (3G-4G).

Do I need to get LTE signal to have the full 5 bars? Or is my L920 reception just worse than my old Focus?

Each phone is calibrated differently to show signal strength in bars. The only way to truly know the signal strength is to go into the Diagnosis app on the Focus and you'll find the decibel level. With the Lumia 920 as far as i know a way hasn't yet been found to get to that.

In my usage with my Lumia 920 (on AT&T) and i believe with others here stateside too, the phone bounces around between 4G and LTE. My phone has gone from 4G to LTE or vice versa for no apparent reason even with the same number of bars being shown. With my old Focus i had to have at least 3 bars to get decent 3G usage, and 2 bars would drag down webpage load times. With my 920, 2 bars of LTE or 4G has proven more than enough to pull data at a sufficient rate.

In comparing the Focus and 920 though, you must remember that the two devices operate on different frequencies. One being slightly more degradable by buildings/interference etc than the other.

Yev91

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, and yeah it doesn't seem to be slow with 3 bars. Its is just that I am worried about battery drain, and also my service sometimes just completely dies for a moment.

I am pretty sure it is not this specific phone, because my older ones that got replaced did the same. If anyone is there to blame, I blame Rogers' wireless network in my town. Their LTE here is still unstable, so I just turn it off but it still does this.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, and yeah it doesn't seem to be slow with 3 bars. Its is just that I am worried about battery drain, and also my service sometimes just completely dies for a moment.

I am pretty sure it is not this specific phone, because my older ones that got replaced did the same. If anyone is there to blame, I blame Rogers' wireless network in my town. Their LTE here is still unstable, so I just turn it off but it still does this.

You're not alone, i picked my 920 sitting on my desk a few times this week (a spot where it always has 3 or 4 bars) and it has the no signal icon up top and the phone tile displaying "no service" for a good few seconds after I pick it up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre